Selecting bookshelves for Home Theater

cybernetic

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to build a Home Theater. The usage would be 90% movies, 10% music. Thinking of starting out with 2.1 with HTS12 or BIC PL200ii as sub (room size 18x10). I would add center and surrounds later. I have 5.1.2 in mind.

As for the Bookshelves, I have auditioned KEF Q150 (price : ~42K), Q Acoustic 3020i (price : 31K), Wharfedale diamond 12.1 (price : 31.5K). I found the 3020i and 12.1 to be quite similar, Neutral. Kef were much warmer in the midrange, which I liked.

So my question is, it worth +11k for KEF , considering the matching center channel (Q650c) would also cost almost double than Wharfedale and the Q Acoustic ? Alternatively, I could also pick up 3030i or 12.2 for around 40k (haven't auditioned these).

Also, How would you rate these Bookshelves and what would you suggest I do?

I don't want to spend more than ~40k on Bookshelves right now.

QA 3030i pair sound fuller in my opinion. I picked them up at 33k from a local dealer. I also found them on amazon at a similar price. Just make sure you have enough room for them.

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to build a Home Theater. The usage would be 90% movies, 10% music. Thinking of starting out with 2.1 with HTS12 or BIC PL200ii as sub (room size 18x10). I would add center and surrounds later. I have 5.1.2 in mind.

As for the Bookshelves, I have auditioned KEF Q150 (price : ~42K), Q Acoustic 3020i (price : 31K), Wharfedale diamond 12.1 (price : 31.5K). I found the 3020i and 12.1 to be quite similar, Neutral. Kef were much warmer in the midrange, which I liked.

So my question is, it worth +11k for KEF , considering the matching center channel (Q650c) would also cost almost double than Wharfedale and the Q Acoustic ? Alternatively, I could also pick up 3030i or 12.2 for around 40k (haven't auditioned these).

Kef Q150 is not the most accurate or balanced speaker but they are fun. If you like it then go for it.
Q3030i are great speakers.. real monsters. You can't go wrong if you can get it under 35K. But if possible audition it.

The price you have mentioned seems bit higher than the current price.. try different vendors before placing order. You can check online stores like hifimart also for better pricing.

The price you have mentioned seems bit higher than the current price.. try different vendors before placing order. You can check online stores like hifimart also for better pricing.
Sure @premoddev, Thanks for your reply. I will definitely look through other stores as well. I have observed that the dealers are just subtracting 15% from the MRP to quote the final price. Just checked hifimart and their prices are definitely lower than what the dealers have been quoting me. My question is, do brands honor the warranty in case I buy from them ?

Kef Q150 is not the most accurate or balanced speaker but they are fun. If you like it then go for it.
Q3030i are great speakers.. real monsters. You can't go wrong if you can get it under 35K. But if possible audition it.
@JrM1, I like the Kefs for their warm mid tones but Wharfedales were also quite good, that caused the confusion. I will look into 3030i for sure. Thanks your reply.
QA 3030i pair sound fuller in my opinion. I picked them up at 33k from a local dealer. I also found them on amazon at a similar price. Just make sure you have enough room for them.
@Ravi546, Sure I will take a look at 3030i. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate it.

Sure @premoddev, Thanks for your reply. I will definitely look through other stores as well. I have observed that the dealers are just subtracting 15% from the MRP to quote the final price. Just checked hifimart and their prices are definitely lower than what the dealers have been quoting me. My question is, do brands honor the warranty in case I buy from them ?

Yes the warranty will be valid if you buy from them. You can talk to Anil for any clarification ( number available in the site). Also for your information, this forum is actually owned by hifimart.

Hi Folks,

Hi sir R you interested in buying wharfedale floor standing speakers,???? wharfedale centre speakers & wharfedale 12 inch subwoofer # all R working condition, & mint condition # location Bangalore sir

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back