Separates v/s AVR - What lives more?

I hope it is being pulled out of that crammed shelf. That set up is simply not going to do it any good, even if its working as a processor.
Guys, one more question.
Many people have suggested Ankit leave some room *above* the avr.
As he asked in one post, a four sides open set up like his should work for dissipation, no?

As he asked in one post, a four sides open set up like his should work for dissipation, no?
Heat rises up. It does not go side ways.
That Marantz already has a fan in it.
You add your fan + its own fan + cramped space inside the receiver and you are likely to trap heat in it, than actually get it out.

You place any class A/B amp like this and you are asking for trouble. In this case, its not just an amplifier, its an AV processor amplifier.

You are likely to trap heat in it, than actually get it out.
This part actually could be the culprit. And makes sense... It's like boxing the heat kinda?

You place any class A/B amp like this and you are asking for trouble. In this case, its not just an amplifier, its an AV processor amplifier.
@ankitbhargava bro, as a public service, would you want to try giving the Marantz some headroom and run it again without the Emotiva?
Please dont attempt it if you think it'll cause any damage to your equipment. Please, please, dont.
But if it is doable for a short while, and not a bother, do let us know?
I know am asking for a huge favour, so, completely understand if you don't wanna venture.
Thanks and regards

I believe he is working on it. A new rack build is underway, from what I understand.
My bad. I thought this was the new rack:

Yep, at say 2 metres instead of 4 metres?
Sensitivty is usually quoted at 1 meter, keep in mind this is not always 1W, it could be 2 or 4W if the impedance is low. For 8 ohms 2.83V is 1W.

For every doubling of distance you loose 6db so instead of 4 meters if it was 2 meters then you'd be loosing 6db compared to 1 meter.

Sensitivty is usually quoted at 1 meter, keep in mind this is not always 1W, it could be 2 or 4W if the impedance is low. For 8 ohms 2.83V is 1W.

For every doubling of distance you loose 6db so instead of 4 meters if it was 2 meters then you'd be loosing 6db compared to 1 meter.
Which, if I understand right, in your above example will make it (roughly, around) 25 watts?

This part actually could be the culprit. And makes sense... It's like boxing the heat kinda?

@ankitbhargava bro, as a public service, would you want to try giving the Marantz some headroom and run it again without the Emotiva?
Please dont attempt it if you think it'll cause any damage to your equipment. Please, please, dont.
I know am asking for a huge favour, so, completely understand if you don't wanna venture.
Thanks and regards
What would you like to know ? I am running my Marantz 7010 in 9.1 (5.1.4) config with just the center channel being powered with an external amp. I had the LR powered by an external amp too but after my sub amp failed, I am using the LR power amp to drive my subwoofer.

Marantz recommends at least 2 inches on either side and 5 inches on top. If I am not mistaken, the side vents take in air and the top vents let the hot air out. So, pulling air out from the side vents may be counterproductive. I have two AC Infinity fans at the top pulling hot air from the AVR and it works very well in keeping the AVR cool. The AVR is placed on top of the cabinet, so plenty of space on top and to the right side. Left vent is a bit blocked by the center channel.

https://support.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/353/~/amplifier-ventilation-recommendation

What would you like to know ?
First up, that link at the bottom's most helpful. Many thanks.
Am looking at a set up somewhat not dissimilar to Ankit's. And was hoping to drive them with an AVR.
So, it was revealing to learn about the heat issues, and power requirements.
I am running my Marantz 7010 in 9.1 (5.1.4) config with just the center channel being powered with an external amp. I had the LR powered by an external amp too but after my sub amp failed, I am using the LR power amp to drive my subwoofer.
Do you discern any noticeable difference between running LCR with power amp vs just the centre?
Marantz recommends at least 2 inches on either side and 5 inches on top. If I am not mistaken, the side vents take in air and the top vents let the hot air out. So, pulling air out from the side vents may be counterproductive. I have two AC Infinity fans at the top pulling hot air from the AVR and it works very well in keeping the AVR cool. The AVR is placed on top of the cabinet, so plenty of space on top and to the right side. Left vent is a bit blocked by the center channel.

https://support.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/353/~/amplifier-ventilation-recommendation

First up, that link at the bottom's most helpful. Many thanks.
Am looking at a set up somewhat not dissimilar to Ankit's. And was hoping to drive them with an AVR.
So, it was revealing to learn about the heat issues, and power requirements.

Do you discern any noticeable difference between running LCR with power amp vs just the centre?
Not much difference. I don't play movies very loud though. (I have never played at reference levels even on Netflix which has a very low sound output) My primary aim with external amps was to reduce the load on the AVR. I was not looking for improvements in sound. It is my opinion that if one does not provide external amps for all channels, the improvements might be marginal. It is also my opinion that with amps like SR7xxx series and above, power amps are not really required for normal levels of listening.

The more important component in an HT setup in my opinion is the subwoofer. If setup correctly, it will give the impression that the individual channels are providing the bass and punch when actually it is the sub that is doing it.

However, like everything in audio, experiences will vary.

Not much difference. I don't play movies very loud though. (I have never played at reference levels even on Netflix which has a very low sound output) My primary aim with external amps was to reduce the load on the AVR. I was not looking for improvements in sound. It is my opinion that if one does not provide external amps for all channels, the improvements might be marginal. It is also my opinion that with amps like SR7xxx series and above, power amps are not really required for normal levels of listening.
Roger that.
The more important component in an HT setup in my opinion is the subwoofer. If setup correctly, it will give the impression that the individual channels are providing the bass and punch when actually it is the sub that is doing it.
This I completely concur with (fellow low volume listener in a cheap set up) and enjoy.
However, like everything in audio, experiences will vary.
Of course.
Thanks a ton, mate.

Adding power amps won't reduce the heat. There are a lot of components inside AVR which still work, which get hot or warm.

Give AVR room, and if possible add a fan on top to remove heat outside from the AVR. Tons of options available some are expensive some are cheap. I use a laptop cooling pad to remove the air out and it works for me.

AVRs have enough power to drive speakers, but adding a PA makes the speakers open up and the difference is noticeable.
Soon I too will moving LR power amp to centre or surrounds once I get a new PA I just ordered.

Thanks and regards
This was only intended to ensure heat would not eat up the AVR components, in terms of performance ... I have done enough testing with and without PAs :)

Without PAs for my Room and my Setup, the AVR is doesn't do impressive job. The difference is more than audible.

Anyone visiting Udaipur, please feel free to keep 2 hours free to visit and try

This was only intended to ensure heat would not eat up the AVR components, in terms of performance ... I have done enough testing with and without PAs :)
Had to take my chances :D No issues, though. Fully understand.
And got a broad understanding of way forward.
Thanks again mate.

Without PAs for my Room and my Setup, the AVR is doesn't do impressive job. The difference is more than audible.

Anyone visiting Udaipur, please feel free to keep 2 hours free to visit and try

Back