sheffield test cd - My Disc.

suri

thanks to arj - i received a test cd - My Disc - Sheffield labs A2TB test disc.

and almost had a heart-attack when i ran the test cd on my system!!

cutting a long story short - after perspiring profusely and requesting the help of younger people in the house (who have to be paid for this kind of help), i found that speaker cables make a significant difference - i am going to pay more attention to this aspect from now on - instead of dismissing it summarily!!

now, i must get a Gold Line DSP-30 portable real-time analyzer.

@ audio_engr - you have endorsed gold line products - but is this what i must be looking at as an amateur DIY'er?

Hi Arj
How do I get a copy:D? Is it available in India?

It is available for purchase through some website for 50 dollars or some.

There are other online sources through which you can get but i am not sure if i can mention it here.

There is a track in the disc which plays a commentary from a race(i think), i liked it very much when i head it for the first time.

Hi,

Why was that Suri ???? Am very curious to know ;) !!

Why is this required ?? whats the purpose of this proposed buy (please don't tell what you do usually in other threads :lol:)

Coz at 1500$:eek: its rather expensive and has limited usage ! I have some alternative cheaper solutions (cheap in terms of price not performance) which I can only suggest once I know the exact reason ;)!!

I had a DSP-30 earlier that I got rid of for something more sophisticated.

Wow:cool: something even better,I can only Imagine how and what can do :) !! Too bad you are in Bangalore :sad:,else would've surely benefited or could've asked for your help in testing DIY Speakers and new DIY driver (the old too) !

Regards.

cutting a long story short - after perspiring profusely and requesting the help of younger people in the house (who have to be paid for this kind of help), i found that speaker cables make a significant difference - i am going to pay more attention to this aspect from now on - instead of dismissing it summarily!!

@ audio_engr - you have endorsed gold line products - but is this what i must be looking at as an amateur DIY'er?
Why and how you found out?

Just invite me for a listening session on this Sun and Ill let you copy mine :eek:hyeah:

You can invite yourself over anytime :) This Sun I have a scheduled audition, will let you know, perhaps Tue will work for you (if Sun does not)? Anything in particular that you want to hear? The EPs perhaps?

cheers

Hi,

Check out the Nti [XL2 with M-2210] system. Its a Neutrik, hence you WILL GET precision / accuracy of Swiss standards.

Is this one you have which you replaced earlier mentioned one ?? it sure does look tempting :licklips:!!

(good toys cost money, it ain't free )

With all due respect Sir, I totally disagree :p !! Am sick and tired of hearing this notion everywhere and just about anywhere,I mean who is asking things for free (offcourse I do know the expression does not mean literally or does it ?? ) ???? all we are (at least me for one) asking is some sane pricing on products !

In that Vinyl thread aswell the Same Words were used and so have many in many other threads !

We are just seeing so many examples of big ripoff's from the major companies in the name of the same "All Good Things Come at Cost",We just saw how Goldmund Ripped everybody by using Pioneer DV400,We just read bout how Luxman Is Ripping everyone with re badged Oppo Blu-Ray ! although strictly these does not apply to the products discussed in this very thread but still one has to get the general idea !

People Ridiculed me when I started my DIY tweeter thread claiming or showing their doubts of me ever reproducing the same level/similar level of performance to that of $$$$ Tweeters by the biggies, Well what happened ?? the results are pretty much here for everyone to see (and also to hear) the same goes to the new DIY 6.5" midbass Project,I can send you the TSP of the same,so that you can check and compare it with $$$$ products and give me your feedback !! let me know if you are interested.

Anyways Moving on,Below mentioned is a product that I had mentioned earlier which Am proposing to be used instead the aforementioned by you ! It costs 300$ and does the following !

Software that turns your PC into measuring equipment for accurate electro-acoustic measurements.

Features

* Anechoic measurements in living rooms with PC soundcard
* SPL and frequency responses with phase (curves above)
* Impedance with phase
* Thiele Small parameters
* Acoustic auto-delay
* Room measurements: 1/3 1/2 1/1 octave Smoothing
* Compare and save curves and responses
* Print all curves and data
* Very intuitive user interface simplifies the measuring task.

So Please do tell me that does this no suffice ?? and Ohh by the way this is a product which is designed by people who design stuff for SEAS and the likes( just in case there is a debate of reliability and such ).

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

Why was that Suri ???? Am very curious to know ;) !!

Why is this required ?? whats the purpose of this proposed buy (please don't tell what you do usually in other threads :lol:)

Coz at 1500$:eek: its rather expensive and has limited usage ! I have some alternative cheaper solutions (cheap in terms of price not performance) which I can only suggest once I know the exact reason ;)!!

Wow:cool: something even better,I can only Imagine how and what can do :) !! Too bad you are in Bangalore :sad:,else would've surely benefited or could've asked for your help in testing DIY Speakers and new DIY driver (the old too) !

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

i have to, one day, be able to do measurements because i must know what is causing what for myself - it will be good if i know the cause and effect thing-
for example - if one changes the faceplate of the tweeter, the measurements are quite different with dips and peaks, and cause and effect will only be known if measurements are at hand- at this stage i am stuck without measurements and have been wanting to get a good and reliable measurement system and learn something about what i am doing

and yes, $1500 is a huge sum of money for something that will be used only occasionally - but you do remember, soundsgreat, that i managed to get the keiga subwoofer amplifier for a bargain - i paid $175 for a new piece (including shipping to my sister, who got it down for me) when the new price was $435.

the goldline systems have been around for some time, and i am sure if i carefully trawl the seas, i can snag a used one for $200??:yahoo: let us see.

what is the system you are thinking of? - if you remember, we had discussed this some time ago.

regds,suri

edit - why i got a shock - the test cd runs the system through various checks - and there is one test in which a certain passage of music is panned from left to centre to right. - the left and right channel sounded different - the right sounded thicker, heavier on the bass and lighter on the treble, while the left channel sounded lean, very less bass, and sparkly treble - and my immediate thought was that the mid-woofer on the left had been attacked by ants!!
( i have lost a tweeter that way). - after searching thoroughly for ants and not finding them, i relaxed a bit, and changed the speakers from right to left - again, the left channel sounded thin and sparkly - this is when i changed the speaker cables from right to left - and here the right channel became thin and sparkly - which is when i realised that the speaker cables were making the difference - the right channel was wired up with finolex 2,5 mm square and the left channel with some generic speaker cable - moreover, the right channel cable length was 5 metres and the left channel was 2 metres - and when i realised this i was thinking about the speaker cables that you make!
i have the van den huls (cs-22 i think) but i never bothered to use them

Last edited:
Why and how you found out?

hi alpha1,

this is how i found out-

the test cd runs the system through various checks - and there is one test in which a certain passage of music is panned from left to centre to right. - the left and right channel sounded different - the right sounded thicker, heavier on the bass and lighter on the treble, while the left channel sounded lean, very less bass, and sparkly treble - and my immediate thought was that the mid-woofer on the left had been attacked by ants!!
( i had lost a tweeter that way). - after searching thoroughly for ants and not finding them, i relaxed a bit, and changed the speakers from right to left - again, the left channel sounded thin and sparkly - this is when i changed the speaker cables from right to left - and here the right channel became thin and sparkly - which is when i realised that the speaker cables were making the difference - the right channel was wired up with finolex 2,5 mm square and the left channel with some generic speaker cable - moreover, the right channel cable length was 5 metres and the left channel was 2 metres.

rgds

so your finolex 2.5 sq. mm. was superior?

hi alpha1,

this is how i found out-

the test cd runs the system through various checks - and there is one test in which a certain passage of music is panned from left to centre to right. - the left and right channel sounded different - the right sounded thicker, heavier on the bass and lighter on the treble, while the left channel sounded lean, very less bass, and sparkly treble - and my immediate thought was that the mid-woofer on the left had been attacked by ants!!
( i had lost a tweeter that way). - after searching thoroughly for ants and not finding them, i relaxed a bit, and changed the speakers from right to left - again, the left channel sounded thin and sparkly - this is when i changed the speaker cables from right to left - and here the right channel became thin and sparkly - which is when i realised that the speaker cables were making the difference - the right channel was wired up with finolex 2,5 mm square and the left channel with some generic speaker cable - moreover, the right channel cable length was 5 metres and the left channel was 2 metres.

rgds

Hi,

@ soundgreat:

another analogy that comes straight to my mind after reading your last post is that some measure voltages with a Chinese Multimeter while rest continue to use Fluke or Agilent Technologies. Yet both get their respective jobs done. If you are happy with your $300 measuring gear, that's cool for you!! I like my precision goods primarily for its repeated reliable results that I trust and the leaders of the industry also endorse them and use them to their full satisfaction.

Well Just as I thought :p, but Am very sad coz,least of all the people that I expected to answer in the above manner was you ( I say that with full respect to you and your experience (have read the whole post in that thread and Am quite aware of the knowledge you posses) :sad: ! even though I had categorically mentioned bout the reliability and quality of the proposed product !!

Sir,you are making a classic mistake of branding me,but you are free to do so !! I have no problems with that !

I will only say this, If one thinks that SEAS and such are two bit companies which use these cheap Chinese instruments and software's to measure results,produce their drivers then Am sorry I have nothing more to discuss with them !!

Just for the records,The Fluke and Agilent's of the world have moved their production bases and the units are now made in china and if anybody has bought their product in recent times can tell bout their quality !

If someone thinks a guy like Peter Larson is a technically challenged person then what can I say ????,coz the said product was designed and developed under his direct supervision and with his full involvement !!

I will cease to post further on this topic as I have strict policy of no argument and no misunderstanding ;) !!

Suri if you wish to know more bout the product I mentioned you are welcome to mail me or PM me !

i have to, one day, be able to measurements because i must know what is causing what for myself - it will be good if i know the cause and effect thing-
for example - if one changes the faceplate of the tweeter, the measurements are quite different with dips and peaks, and cause and effect will only be known if measurements are at hand- at this stage i am stuck without measurements and have been wanting to get a good and reliable measurement system and learn something about what i am doing

Well Suri you are not alone !! that's exactly my problem since god knows when (although to some extent have been able to get some help in that regard), I too like you want something to reliably measure and illustrate the pros and cons of my own designs !! This is more important to me then you as I don't use branded drivers like you do which gives some basic design ideas :p !!

and yes, $1500 is a huge sum of money for something that will be used only occasionally - but you do remember, soundsgreat, that i managed to get the keiga subwoofer amplifier for a bargain - i paid $175 for a new piece (including shipping to my sister, who got it down for me) when the new price was $435.

Yes Sire I do remember that and your mega Sub project :D !!

the goldline systems have been around for some time, and i am sure if i carefully trawl the seas, i can snag a used one for $200?? let us see

Well thats more like it,I would love to see you do that :yahoo:,so that I can borrow it sometime for measuring my own stuff :lol: !!

what is the system you are thinking of? - if you remember, we had discussed this some time ago.

Suri although Am very good with memory this one escapes me,please could you refresh it for me ???

Regards.

and my immediate thought was that the mid-woofer on the left had been attacked by ants!! ( i had lost a tweeter that way). - after searching thoroughly for ants and not finding them, i relaxed a bit, ...

Nice to know we have some common enemies :)

the right channel was wired up with finolex 2,5 mm square and the left channel with some generic speaker cable - moreover, the right channel cable length was 5 metres and the left channel was 2 metres.

rgds

Are your trouser legs made in similar fashion? :D
Wonder why you ever did that ... :lol:

Is the Finolex wire twisted pair? I'm going to experiment too so would like to know if I can use it straight from the spindle or if I need to catch a local girl and practice some braiding on her hair ... ;)

Cheers

Gobble wrote-
"....I need to catch a local girl and practice some braiding on her hair ... ;)"

Is that all you can think of if you catch a local girl?
Now I know you're badly infected with audiophilitis!

Hi Suri and Soundsgreat,

Consider some freeware for your speaker measurements:

Speaker Workshop

You do need a duplex soundcard, a microphone, and a mic preamp (these can be DIY affairs), to work with the software; the learning curve is steep (but where is it not!); but it does the job superbly. With a good graphical interface.

Worth a try.

Regards,
Viren

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back