Should i buy AVR from USA ?

TheMost

My friend from USA just wanted to gift me something when he comes to INDIA.
I have a SONY w850 47" TV and a HTPC.
I thought of asking an AVR since i am going to buy Paradigm 100CT or something like that (because of limited space) on march 2015.

After some 4or5 years i would like to add Two floor standers or buy an amp and add the floor standers separately
My usage will be like Music more than 50% and movies something like 30-40%.

I would like to know whether i can service the AVR in chennai if it runs into some problem.
What AVR should i tell him to buy?
I would be more happy if there was some stereo mode in the AVR so that i can enjoy pure music when i add 2 floor standers later on.
If that is not possible i will buy a seperate amp for music on the the years to come.
I would like to have uncompromised music performance(i am not tight on budget )
This is my first setup and I am a noob in these things.
So please help me

Thank you !

Last edited:
My friend from USA just wanted to gift me something when he comes to INDIA.
I have a SONY w850 47" TV and a HTPC.
I thought of asking an AVR since i am going to buy Paradigm 100CT or something like that (because of limited space) on march 2015.

After some 4or5 years i would like to add Two floor standers or buy an amp and add the floor standers separately
My usage will be like Music more than 50% and movies something like 30-40%.

I would like to know whether i can service the AVR in chennai if it runs into some problem.
What AVR should i tell him to buy?
I would be more happy if there was some stereo mode in the AVR so that i can enjoy pure music when i add 2 floor standers later on.
If that is not possible i will buy a seperate amp for music on the the years to come.
I would like to have uncompromised music performance(i am not tight on budget )
This is my first setup and I am a noob in these things.
So please help me

Thank you !
I am not a audiophile but as per my experience is advisable to buy from india or from company has a presence in india. Like Denon, marantz, pioneer etc . because of service issue.
In AVR u will get stereo mode but audiophile people will surely like to go for separate amp for listening music. I had recently setup my HT with Denon avr x2100w and till now happy with the performance.If budget/space etc is not the issue than u can go for separate listening room with amp and separate room for movies viewing
U had mentioned that ur friend wants to gift u than in that free gifts are always welcome. :eek:hyeah:

Can I make a suggestion? If you are trying to build a decent stereo setup in the long term, why not look at buying other components from the US instead?

I do agree with poppy that you are better off buying an AVR in India itself. Voltage compatibility, serviceability, warranty and support will likely outweigh the price difference you will get from importing from the US. And a lot of options are now commonly available in India too. Or you can even import directly from Emotiva.

However, what is lacking in India is a lot of the peripheral stuff. Like a good DAC for example. Like a DAC from Schiit.

I think poppy's advice is good, and I agree. I have bought gear from the US and by and large the good brands have a presence here for ASS, plus many of them are trouble free. Prices are quite a bit less, but you need to do some research fro yourself.Depending on how much time you have, you can check and compare.

I got my denon x3000 avr shipped last year from the US via ebay. still going strong :) No complaints. competitive pricing. (all inclusive)

Prices are quite a bit less, but you need to do some research fro yourself.Depending on how much time you have, you can check and compare.
BNYoqy

Friends it's all depends on luck .it's electronic items it works than it goes on & on trouble is when problem arise.
Week back I had posted here my view on 17th was not aware I have to face this situation.i was in looking for this HT setup from approx last 8 months.i had zeroed on system, speakers etc from india when I came to projector part I was in double mind to purchase locally or from USA than I came across the Amazon.com they were offering optoma HD25e at discounted prices after all the calculations the landed cost was coming to some 64k compare to in india it was around 105k after all the discount. I had never purchased so big amount transection online .After some research on this forum decided to go online from Amazon.com. Placed the order received the shipment before time it was around end of July .As my home interior was not complete just checked the projector and kept it aside.in October end the interior was over and I setup my HT system.very happy as it was perfect. I had posted pictures also in this forum.
My story started now on 18th of this month I started the projector and it was showing green light and it was continuesly blikering,nothing was happening no lamp light, no fan sounds nothing. I immediately send the mail to Amazon customer service and they replied with mail id of optoma head operation Asia .written a mail to this guy and he simply replied they can not support because Amazon.com doesn't buy from this region . written back to Amazon but they replied that as per their policy return back window is for 30 days which is close now.
So right now I am sitting with this helplessly. To share this experience is not to discourage any one.just to say it's electronic items u will never know if it works than no problem if it stopped than u should be ready with alternative.
It is totally our decision.

Sorry about your projector, as you told luck plays hide and seek. Even i have had bad experience with importing electronics goods and as well have good ones.

Friends it's all depends on luck .it's electronic items it works than it goes on & on trouble is when problem arise.
Week back I had posted here my view on 17th was not aware I have to face this situation.i was in looking for this HT setup from approx last 8 months.i had zeroed on system, speakers etc from india when I came to projector part I was in double mind to purchase locally or from USA than I came across the Amazon.com they were offering optoma HD25e at discounted prices after all the calculations the landed cost was coming to some 64k compare to in india it was around 105k after all the discount. I had never purchased so big amount transection online .After some research on this forum decided to go online from Amazon.com. Placed the order received the shipment before time it was around end of July .As my home interior was not complete just checked the projector and kept it aside.in October end the interior was over and I setup my HT system.very happy as it was perfect. I had posted pictures also in this forum.
My story started now on 18th of this month I started the projector and it was showing green light and it was continuesly blikering,nothing was happening no lamp light, no fan sounds nothing. I immediately send the mail to Amazon customer service and they replied with mail id of optoma head operation Asia .written a mail to this guy and he simply replied they can not support because Amazon.com doesn't buy from this region . written back to Amazon but they replied that as per their policy return back window is for 30 days which is close now.
So right now I am sitting with this helplessly. To share this experience is not to discourage any one.just to say it's electronic items u will never know if it works than no problem if it stopped than u should be ready with alternative.
It is totally our decision.

So sorry to hear that !
Is it not even possible to repair it in your own cost (apart from warranty) ?

If i buy an YAMAHA AVR from US and if it goes into some trouble,I wont be able to service it here (apart from warranty) ?

Also please tell me some good model of AVR i should tell him to buy from USA.I am totally noob at power ratings and all.
I think i will be buying the paradigm cinema 100 at 58K for now and then add two FStanders within 70K in the years to come(7.1).

Please tell a model that will be enough to drive the speakers and also servicable in INDIA if it runs into some problem.

He is coming next month,so i should tell him as early as possible

If i buy an YAMAHA AVR from US and if it goes into some trouble,I wont be able to service it here (apart from warranty) ?

Also please tell me some good model of AVR i should tell him to buy from USA.I am totally noob at power ratings and all.
I think i will be buying the paradigm cinema 100 at 58K for now and then add two FStanders within 70K in the years to come(7.1).

Please tell a model that will be enough to drive the speakers and also servicable in INDIA if it runs into some problem.

He is coming next month,so i should tell him as early as possible

If you get a 110V version of AVR from US, then it might be a problem servicing in india... If you get a dual voltage, shouldn't be a problem, you can get it serviced here... Warranty is not applicable in India for goods purchased in US.....

What is your approx budget for AVR ?

If you get a 110V version of AVR from US, then it might be a problem servicing in india... If you get a dual voltage, shouldn't be a problem, you can get it serviced here... Warranty is not applicable in India for goods purchased in US.....

What is your approx budget for AVR ?

Ok, I will ask him the availability of Dual voltage AVR at his locality.
My budget is 50K.

My budget is 50K.

Denon X 3000 is a good 1 Lac in India... That is aval in the links that i sent you for a good 50K

Denon AVR-X3000 220 volts/ 240 volts Receiver Amplifier Amp

Yamaha Aventage series.. RX A 1010 (Thought older model, still good)

Yamaha RX-A1010 Aventage 220 volts 240 volts RXA1010 110 volts audio video reciever amplifier Yamaha RX-A1010

Yamaha RXA 1020 - Yamaha RX-A1020 110-240 Volts Receiver

Yamaha RXA 1030- Yamaha RX-A1030 110-240 Volts Receiver 110 - 220 - 240 Volts Amplifier

Yamaha RXA 2010 - Yamaha RX-A2010 110-240 Volts Receiver

Yamaha RX V 775 - Yamaha RX-V775 110-240 Volts Receiver 110 - 220 - 240 Volts Amplifier

My budget is 50K.

Slightly off track comment.
But I would certainly dread someone asking me to get an AVR from the US. :mad:

All said and done everyone would be at the borderline when it comes to the max weight of the luggage they are carrying. Carrying an AVR would mean instead of the usual 2 check-in bags you would be permitted only 1 check-in bag. Unless you are willing to pay extra for weight of the receiver.

So unless he is a real close friend, this is something I would not ask someone to carry on my behalf. :cheers:

Thanks a ton bro ! :clapping:
I will enquire him about these and let you know.

Actually I will get the AVR and keep it safe till next march 2015.
After that i am thinking of getting
Paradigm cinema 100(58K) [or] 2 Polk Rti A7 fronts(~64K)
any other suggestion is welcome.
because my room is just 170sqft.

after 2 years i will be shifting to a bigger house where i will upgrade.
Hope A7 Fstanders bring justice to music in 2ch mode :sad:

Will the above speakers go hand with the AVR ? warm,bright... u people speak about it :eek:hyeah:

Thank you once again bro.

Thanks a ton bro ! :clapping:
I will enquire him about these and let you know.

Actually I will get the AVR and keep it safe till next march 2015.
After that i am thinking of getting
Paradigm cinema 100(58K) [or] 2 Polk Rti A7 fronts(~64K)
any other suggestion is welcome.
because my room is just 170sqft.

after 2 years i will be shifting to a bigger house where i will upgrade.
Hope A7 Fstanders bring justice to music in 2ch mode :sad:

Will the above speakers go hand with the AVR ? warm,bright... u people speak about it :eek:hyeah:

Thank you once again bro.

Rti A7 might be overkill for a 170 Sqft room... BS based system will be better for your needs...

i saw that you wanted to expand to 7.1 in future right ?

Rti A7 might be overkill for a 170 Sqft room... BS based system will be better for your needs...

i saw that you wanted to expand to 7.1 in future right ?
No.I just wanted to expand to a 7.1 by adding two full range fronts(for audio) if i get a paradigm cinema 5.1

If I add by components, then 5.1 would suffice.
Okay, if i buy a BS instead of RtiA7 then I Should upgrade them later on to Full tower fronts while moving into new house (300-400 sq ft approx) or BS would suffice ?

No.I just wanted to expand to a 7.1 by adding two full range fronts(for audio) if i get a paradigm cinema 5.1

If I add by components, then 5.1 would suffice.
Okay, if i buy a BS instead of RtiA7 then I Should upgrade them later on to Full tower fronts while moving into new house (300-400 sq ft approx) or BS would suffice ?

Get your point... if you buy Paradigm & add Polk later, what would happen then is you front speakers (Left, Center & right) would be from different brands & may not be an ideal match...

Instead start building your HT... Choose a BS speaker, center & FS from the same brand to complete your setup..

Complete your 5.1 setup with BS based systems... This will suffice your needs for music& movies... Later when you move to bigger place, then buy FS & move the BS as surrounds.....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back