Should i get the Oppo BD 83 multi region now?

muradasa7

Hi..I presently have a Sony BDP S370 and a PS3 to take care of my Blu ray needs. Yesterday my Sony S370 refused to read any disc and has gone for warranty repair. I was shocked by this turn of events in so short a time and am seriously looking at getting a Oppo BD 83 or an Azur BD 650 . Do you think getting an Oppo or the Azur will make a huge difference to my viewing on my Epson 8500 UB? Guys need your help on this one. I am inclined towards the Oppo at the moment but a bit confused. Your inputs will sure help. Thanks!!

hi Muradasa, i have the Oppo BDP83 and the Epson 1080UB Pro. I found the Oppo far better than the sonys and pannys i had tried, but surprisingly slightly inferior to a HTPC that i had built with an inexpensive ATI Radeon 4550 card- Im talking about out of the box settings. However with a bit of color adjustment they were equal, though 4550 delivered more "punch" in certain discs. That said, Im heavily biased towards Oppo's world class service and their product update policies.
Rosh

Oppo is coming out very shortly with their new series,perhaps in time for the xmas season, supposedly at the same price level.
Since you will currently be getting old stocks of the BD 83,(if available), I reccommend you wait for the new model.

Just curious where do you intend to get the multi-region player from? In my case i got the Oppo down from the US, bought and fitted the mod chip as well. Works like a charm..worth the 50 odd bucks I spent on it.

Thanks Rosh for the inputs. To answer your query i was planning on getting it in the grey market thro a friend. I also thgt of importing it and then using the mod chip as u suggested. Havent decided as yet. As @jbgude has pointed out oppo have stopped production of the BD83 and a new one is coming soon. But im sure it will take time to get it region free for the BDs. So perhaps i should go in for the 83 right away!

But im sure it will take time to get it region free for the BDs. So perhaps i should go in for the 83 right away!

You will be surprised at how fast the Hard modified sets come out. I suspect the same ICOS chip will be used for the new model too.
If you look around, you will find that several persons/ shops sell the sets at competetive rates. The site where I got one from currently only has the BD83-SE(near $1000) in stock. I have posted the link in another thread on this forum.;)

The Oppo BDP83 is now replaced by a new product. Oppo has not been producing the 83 for some months now and given the general popularity of the unit, you may not even get one now.

The replacement will support 3D and a mod will surely be available within a couple of weeks. I would wait for the replacement product to be launched.

Oppo is coming out very shortly with their new series,perhaps in time for the xmas season, supposedly at the same price level.
Since you will currently be getting old stocks of the BD 83,(if available), I reccommend you wait for the new model.

BDP93 which is 3D capable-
OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player

with dual HDMI.One can be connected to 3Dtv & other to HD-AVR for audio which is not 3D capable.

BDP-93 Main Decoder and Video Processor Board

Custom OPPO Decoder and Marvell Kyoto-G2 Qdeo Video Processor

Last edited:
Thanks Spirovious - funny I have not got the mail from Oppo -or did you locate this info from some other source ?

Hope we can get the modified version quickly....

The only drawback that I see of the the 93 is that it uses a relatively unknown video processor compared to the Anchor Bay chip which was world class. So one needs to wait for the quality of the video once the reviews are out.

but surprisingly slightly inferior to a HTPC that i had built with an inexpensive ATI Radeon 4550 card- Im talking about out of the box settings.

could you elaborate on this ? As i dont find the picture/sound quality of oppo to be matched by any other setup ...

The only drawback that I see of the the 93 is that it uses a relatively unknown video processor compared to the Anchor Bay chip which was world class. So one needs to wait for the quality of the video once the reviews are out.

Actually Marvel is supposed to be as good or even better than Anchor Bay. Marvell has been used for a long time in professional equipment and has only now come down to consumer market.

Cheers

could you elaborate on this ? As i dont find the picture/sound quality of oppo to be matched by any other setup ...

Video processors for computers are called Graphical Processing Units or GPUs. Most GPUs are made for games and they can support faster and higher rendering of graphics. The ATI 5450, for example, can support upto 2560x1600 internally and even supports 3D. It can also render video using a 128 bit engine, far higher than any DVD player.

For a long time, GPUs were not popular in the movie department as they were lacking in passing through FullHD audio. But after the 5xxx series from ATI, this issue has been solved.

A good GPU with a Blu-Ray player inside a HTPC, can give a run for it's money to any player.

Just look at the specs of 5450 here.

Cheers

Video processors for computers are called Graphical Processing Units or GPUs. Most GPUs are made for games and they can support faster and higher rendering of graphics. The ATI 5450, for example, can support upto 2560x1600 internally and even supports 3D. It can also render video using a 128 bit engine, far higher than any DVD player.

For a long time, GPUs were not popular in the movie department as they were lacking in passing through FullHD audio. But after the 5xxx series from ATI, this issue has been solved.

A good GPU with a Blu-Ray player inside a HTPC, can give a run for it's money to any player.

Just look at the specs of 5450 here.

Cheers

I have Ati Radeon 4570 in My Dell Studio 15
Then in my Desktop i have Ati Radeon 5670

Bluray Rips and Original Bluray's Are Really Good
But when it Comes to DVD The GPU is Not Able to Upscale according to the TV pixels some Blur images appear in my sony

whereas my old TOSHIBA 1080i upscaling DVD Player Did a very good job with my sony and no blur images the picture was sharp and bright

I use Cyberlink power DVD Ultra 10
VLC MEDIA PLAYER
Media Player Classic
Everything Recently Updated

GPU Drivers also Updated

Really dont lik the picture when playing from DVD

any Configuring issues yo can guide me

I tried OPPO DVD Player in one of the forum members Home
and the Picture Sharpness and Color was just amazing in a Sammy TV

But when it Comes to DVD The GPU is Not Able to Upscale according to the TV pixels some Blur images appear in my sony

any Configuring issues yo can guide me

GPUs do not do any scaling. If at all, the software should scale using what is called hardware acceleration. VLC uses ATI GPUs and can be configured to do so.

But I am surprised. I play DVDs on my HTPC with a 5770 and the output is flawless. I have two drives - one for DVD, and one for Blu-Ray. I play DVDs only on the DVD drive.

Configuration is a long process. Best would be to go through the manual and see what is to be done. I have not yet completed my configuration as I keep fiddling with the settings.

Cheers

Thanks Spirovious - funny I have not got the mail from Oppo -or did you locate this info from some other source ?

Hope we can get the modified version quickly....

Well,if you check my link(oppo) & click on more images,you will get that. :)

GPUs do not do any scaling. If at all, the software should scale using what is called hardware acceleration. VLC uses ATI GPUs and can be configured to do so.

Cheers

GPUs can upscale & nvidia have been mentioning this from long.I have seen in older nvidia CP an option of upscaling,but new drivers dont have that option,may be doing atomatically.

Hardware aceeration in nvidia is to use full potantial of GPU.So software do nothing ,but hand over it to Hardware(GPU).
Pure video works with GPU for upscaling-
http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97913#

But sometimes I have seen PDVD10 also doing good job without Hardware acceration.

Last edited:
GPUs can upscale & nvidia have been mentioning this from long.I have seen in older nvidia CP an option of upscaling,but new drivers dont have that option,may be doing atomatically.

The scaling option/engine is very well present in the GPU. But it the software player that has to execute it. Unlike a regular player where the hardware and software are one, in a PC, they are different beasts. ATI and nVidia are working with software vendors to ensure that all the features available in their GPUs are used. That is the reason you see players like VLC coming with new versions that use specific features of GPUs.

Cheers

I agree that,now with that setting a mediaplayer is tidious task for Best output.
VLC has lot options.MPCHC also the same.
PDVD10 looks simple option there.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back