Should i get the Oppo BD 83 multi region now?

Hi..I presently have a Sony BDP S370 and a PS3 to take care of my Blu ray needs. Yesterday my Sony S370 refused to read any disc and has gone for warranty repair. I was shocked by this turn of events in so short a time and am seriously looking at getting a Oppo BD 83 or an Azur BD 650 . Do you think getting an Oppo or the Azur will make a huge difference to my viewing on my Epson 8500 UB? Guys need your help on this one. I am inclined towards the Oppo at the moment but a bit confused. Your inputs will sure help. Thanks!!

When you have a PS3 Why do you want to spend on Oppo i Hope PS3 Delivers Great Color and it upscales to 1080P and it is X.v Color right

Video processors for computers are called Graphical Processing Units or GPUs. Most GPUs are made for games and they can support faster and higher rendering of graphics. The ATI 5450, for example, can support upto 2560x1600 internally and even supports 3D. It can also render video using a 128 bit engine, far higher than any DVD player.

For a long time, GPUs were not popular in the movie department as they were lacking in passing through FullHD audio. But after the 5xxx series from ATI, this issue has been solved.

A good GPU with a Blu-Ray player inside a HTPC, can give a run for it's money to any player.

Just look at the specs of 5450 here.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
which gpu would you suggest . As i was not aware of these facts (in fact am surprised ;) ). Was under the impression that a VRS anchor bay processor would beat any GPU in movie mode hands down ..

Would also like to know your opinion on a one on one comparision of ati 5770 and oppo bdp 83 if possible ..

Regards

Hi Venkat,
which gpu would you suggest . As i was not aware of these facts (in fact am surprised ;) ). Was under the impression that a VRS anchor bay processor would beat any GPU in movie mode hands down ..

Would also like to know your opinion on a one on one comparision of ati 5770 and oppo bdp 83 if possible ..

Regards

Get a 5770 and a samsung bluray drive from SYW for 5K
It would be good i would recomend A HTPC rather that a BD Player
nower days Video Rips are available with DTS HD Audio
which is good for the future not needed to invest more in the Blu ray disc

i already have 4 DTS HD Audio movies Downloaded from internet and some Hindi Video Tracks

Comparison I Dont Know:-(

Thank you all for posting and sharing your valuable information. I have decided to get the Oppo BD 83 for the following reasons.

1.The picture quality is certainly outstanding. Much better than PS3. I have seen this myself.

2.I am not interested in 3D and so do not want to go for the BD-93.

3.The oppo seems to suit all my requirements at the moment and as many users have pointed out it is not available easily in the market right now.

4.The all region playability factor is vital to me and this player supports that.

I seriously thought of getting it from the US and then modding it to a multi region player. But as it is getting it in the US is extremely difficult so went ahead and confirmed one here. I should be getting it tomorrow. Shall keep you posted on the Oppo experience shortly. Once again thanks everybody.

Oppo with Epson + polk should be an nice combination, sometime i should make a time to experience it:licklips: Do post some pics !!!

@Srinisunar...yeah im looking forward to see how it comes out! Yeah you are welcome to take a look. Will post some pics soon!

I have used the BDP-83, the Oppo 983 and the 5770 extensively.

Today I switched many time between the 5770 outputting FullHD at 1080P, and the 875's HQV Reon Processor upscaling the output from 5770. Frankly I could not see any difference. The same Reon beat the hell out of all DVD Players including the Oppo 983H. I played a bad copy of XXX Part 2 from a Pioneer DVDP, and the 875 made it look like a Blu-Ray disc.

As I said many time before, if you can just pass a Blu-Ray video through a processor to the TV, you will be fine. If your AVR has a video upscaler, even a Pioneer 220 is sufficient for DVDs, and the Blu-Ray has to just send a 1080P signal.

In my mind, an HTPC with a good GPU is the best best. You get a Blu-Ray player, a media player, a DVD Player, and a Network capable player all rolled into one. With hardware acceleration support, GPUs are unbeatable.

Cheers

Thanks Rosh for the inputs. To answer your query i was planning on getting it in the grey market thro a friend. I also thgt of importing it and then using the mod chip as u suggested. Havent decided as yet. As @jbgude has pointed out oppo have stopped production of the BD83 and a new one is coming soon. But im sure it will take time to get it region free for the BDs. So perhaps i should go in for the 83 right away!

I own a BDP-83 and it's a *fantastic* piece of equipment. It's hassle free, very fast, has analog outs, has video calibration, can downscale 7.1 to 5.1 etc.

But it DOES have some limitations like NOT being able to read beyond 4GB files (sine it doesn't support beyond FAT32) etc. Also it can't read huge partitions. So in this case you would habve to put it in a network and stream video etc.

Here's my 2 cents. WAIT for the Oppo BDP-93. Obviously it should be far better than this. Worst case scenario you get something as good as BDP-83 (if not better). Since BDP-83 is scare the prices are soaring, so I'd suggest you wait for 93 OR build a HTPC like venkatcr mentioned (and STILL buy the BDP-93 when it comes out coz playback of BDs thru Oppo is just pure pleasure). :)

I have used the BDP-83, the Oppo 983 and the 5770 extensively.

Today I switched many time between the 5770 outputting FullHD at 1080P, and the 875's HQV Reon Processor upscaling the output from 5770. Frankly I could not see any difference. The same Reon beat the hell out of all DVD Players including the Oppo 983H. I played a bad copy of XXX Part 2 from a Pioneer DVDP, and the 875 made it look like a Blu-Ray disc.

As I said many time before, if you can just pass a Blu-Ray video through a processor to the TV, you will be fine. If your AVR has a video upscaler, even a Pioneer 220 is sufficient for DVDs, and the Blu-Ray has to just send a 1080P signal.

In my mind, an HTPC with a good GPU is the best best. You get a Blu-Ray player, a media player, a DVD Player, and a Network capable player all rolled into one. With hardware acceleration support, GPUs are unbeatable.

Cheers

I was going to pitch in my two pennies worth but Venkat and max123_ind have stolen my thunder. :)
The Oppo BDP83 is really great when properly adjusted - but not out of the box, unlike its older bro the 981HD where I never had to adjust anything on unwrapping it. Last week I had a friend come over - who had never watched Bluray before. So I popped in a disc - Gone in 60 seconds - and to my horror the contrast was completely off. And my friend was aghast why bluray could be look so ordinary. A thought struck me and when i checked the setup the settings were all somehow reset to defaults. Im not sure if its an issue with the firmware (its the latest stable one) but this is not the first time its happening.
Once adjusted it showed the bluray in all its glory..

When I was comparing the HTPC's 4550 (its an el cheapo card) it still could run quite a few rings around the Oppo in terms of sheer picture quality. Of course on the HTPC, waiting for Windows/PDVD to initialize is really a pain, the HTPC cant play SACD and the Oppo cant play FLAC or WebM..

Things i wished they would fix in the Oppo (may be the 93) include:
1) quieter disc loading - the tray is really noisy!
2) A better remote with more tactile placement of the buttons and softer feel.
3) Analog output bass management really is primitive , its better to use its digital outputs for 7.1.

Rosh

@Jravich pls check your inbox. Guys i received the player yday and im quite happy with its performance. Its a solidly built player and performs well. The biggest advantage is the Region free option. Solves a major problem for me. The other thing is the lovely upscaling. Need to tweak and get the maximum out of it now. My Projector is calibrated already. Rosh, i echo your sentiments on this player. Please let me know what settings u have got. Will surely save me loads of time!!

Btw i already have a Xtreamer Media player so playing media files i use that only. So the 4GB problem doesnt affect me. Need to upgrade the firmware though.

@Jravich pls check your inbox. Guys i received the player yday and im quite happy with its performance. Its a solidly built player and performs well. The biggest advantage is the Region free option. Solves a major problem for me. The other thing is the lovely upscaling. Need to tweak and get the maximum out of it now. My Projector is calibrated already. Rosh, i echo your sentiments on this player. Please let me know what settings u have got. Will surely save me loads of time!!

Btw i already have a Xtreamer Media player so playing media files i use that only. So the 4GB problem doesnt affect me. Need to upgrade the firmware though.

Congrats! that was quick , Did u buy from a forum member or local dealer? :clapping:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back