Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

Got myself a Akai AM2450. Sounds just great.
Thats a rare beauty.
A distant cousin owns the same amplifier which drives a vintage pair of Pioneer 15" loudspeakers. The sound is so good (for something so old) that it makes me wonder what the fuss is all about with High End.

Tubelab SSE prototype fired up. With the right voltage and bias you can run all these tubes in Triode or Ultra-Linear with CFB if required - 6V6GT, 6F6G, 6P6S, 6P3S /-e, 807 (Top-cap anode), EL34, 6L6GC etc etc...

The amps been running ~ 30hrs and I've tried 6P6S /3S and 807s so far. With B+ @360v and biased to around 50ma, the 6P3S sound the best. The contraption on the right (toggle switches) adjust the bias current. The white toggle on top of the mains trafo, switch between 275 and 300v secondaries. The red toggle in front switches between tube and SS rectifiers. I needed the flexibility to allow different secondary voltages between 290v (5V4G) and 360v (SS).

Simple build and incredible flexibility. More to come.

Attachments

• SSE 275_300 - 6P3S-s.jpg
    SSE 275_300 - 6P3S-s.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 136
Finished the Tubelab TSE 300b into a chassis. Thanks to Beginner_N (Nishant) for helping with the chassis fabrication. This completes the Triode 'Holy Grail' for me :) - 2A3 and 300b.

Attachments

• TSE-II 300b_s.jpg
    TSE-II 300b_s.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 152
  • View (Top)_s.jpg
    View (Top)_s.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 153
  • TSE-II Duet_s.jpg
    TSE-II Duet_s.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
View attachment 59822
Moved the setup from living room to this dedicated room.The room is small @ 3 m x 3 m.
Updates:
Tried Magnepan LRS for a little while.Very Interesting sound.The midrange transparency,soundstage, speed etc was better than Harbeths in my setup.LRS is a serious speaker for the money which can easily compete with higher priced speakers.

But the Magnepans are sold now and I have moved back to Harbeths .
Some reasons are
  • not loud enough with same amplifier used for Harbeths(Esoteric I05).It demands even better amplification may be.
  • the total cost of the system will be similar in my case considering the amplification cost ,
  • Harbeths can shine with lesser amplification and variety of amplification ( say tubes)so it sort of justifies its higher cost compared to LRS).
  • Poor quality recordings and youtube streaming does not sound good.
  • The tonality changes as you move out of the sweet spot making it very hard to setup(may be it is my room/setup).This was the biggest issue.
  • The main reason is that I like the Harbeth sound.

However the conclusion is, LRS is still a very good speaker for the money (it has the potential)if you have the right amplifier and room and you are willing to spend a lot of time experimenting with components and placement.LRS.jpg

Last edited:
I got fed up of the wires and huge towers and amps taking up lots of space in a relatively small room. So finally decided to sell it all and go wireless and clutter free. Very happy with edifier s3000pro right now.
Congratulations..Where did you get the edifier from? Can you tell me the price? How is the low end? Do you need a subwoofer with it?

Back