Showcase Your Turntable

Hi,

I have this Philips HiQ along with a Garrard 6.200 C. The system was bought sometime in 1977-78. The turntable is changer type player with I guess 10 record changer.

The system is tucked in a rosewood cabinet with 2 HiQ spkrs and 2 speakers in the cabinet. The cabinet even had a place to keep a Tape recorder for playing it on the speakers.

In todays time it would be a great antique look for the drawing room. Obviously, it would require some repair to bring it to its olden glory.

However, the system has been left unattended & uncared for as TV took the centre stage. And now since I have moved to new apartment I am no longer going to use it. But it has lots of fond childhood memories of the system.

I had got some offers to buy out the system on "as is" basis but at that time decided to keep it with me. But with me moving in the new apartment will think of selling it some day.

Attachments

• DSC02747.jpg
    DSC02747.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 837
  • DSC02748.jpg
    DSC02748.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 834
  • DSC02750.jpg
    DSC02750.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC02751.jpg
    DSC02751.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 830
My setup :

Project RPM 1.3 / Nad 3020e / Tannoy Mercury MXM / Norstone Speaker Stands.

Ajit

Attachments

• DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 827
  • DSC_0353.jpg
    DSC_0353.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 831
Bought the TT from our member myriad few months back. The same was purchased by him new from a dealer in Kolkata around 4 years back .That dealer still deals in project.

Regards

Pratm it is neighbours envy owners pride, where did you bring it from, not sure about its availability in India

Last edited:
I recently acquired a Dual 1229 which I am in the process of servicing.
I'll post a pic when I am done and hopefully have it working.
The cartridge is a MM Shure M91ED and I have a new stylus for it.

Planning to build a very simple DIY VSPS phono pre till I
go for a better pre later.

hi n.thacker, nostalgia personified...my dad had the same speakers which i passed on to a forum member after my dad passed away...btw, you may not know this but I honestly feel, the philips dealer who sold you the speakers and amp way back in 77-78 made a mistake with your speaker pair...Hi-Q international speakers were manufactured in those days with off-centre speaker placement which meant that the left channel speaker would be slightly off-set towards the right (from the front view) and the right channel speaker would be slightly off-set towards the left (again, from the front view)...from your picture, it seems like your dealer has picked 2 left channel speakers off the shelf and packed them for you (i'm sure he sold the 2 corresponding right channel speakers off to someone else)...i can never forget this...as a 5 yr old kid, i went with my father to buy these speakers and i still remember vividly, the guy at the store belting off some fake theory about the reason why philips offset the speaker position in the cabinets....so, now you have a bit of a secret, let out about the speakers you own :)

Last edited:
Thx reubensm, never knew abt this. As the sound quality was very good so never paid specific attention to these details.

the guy at the store belting off some fake theory about the reason why philips offset the speaker position in the cabinets
Drivers may be placed off center in speaker enclosure to minimize diffraction.

you are spot on about the quality n.thacker, those full-range philips drivers used were really good although a bit sensitive (being 4 ohms drivers). before i sold off my dad's pair to one of our forum members, we actually put them up against a friend's KEF Coda and they stood up quite well, even though the KEF was superior...also, the drivers used for the left and right channels was identical so you would not have made out the difference. I still remember the sales guy in the shop told my dad that Philips used the off-set design to improve "clarity" :) but of course, my dad being an engineer himself, did not believe this and it ended up being our favourite joke about the speakers!!

Btw...sorry to hijack the thread for a bit...please keep the turntables coming!!

Last edited:
Here is mine.

HIFI002.jpg

Yes. I know. I can hear the chatter already. It needs cleaning. But I am being lazy.

:) It is normally closed. Opened it for taking a snap.

There is construction work going on in the vicinity. That is the reason for so much dust.

:) It is normally closed. Opened it for taking a snap.

There is construction work going on in the vicinity. That is the reason for so much dust.

Actually, Its good to see the dust - it just tells me "Hey ! I'm using this "Precious" all the time, its not sitting in the showcase - every day dusted by wifefy! as a showpiece.:)

i have more pics.. how do i post?? cant i post more thn 200 kbs of pics in all??
n i am posting the pics blindly. that is i m not sure which pic exactly m i posting.

Attachments

• 252867_2072090284581_1314603635_2369077_2271442_n.jpg
    252867_2072090284581_1314603635_2369077_2271442_n.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 649
  • 251612_2072095124702_1314603635_2369104_3051352_n.jpg
    251612_2072095124702_1314603635_2369104_3051352_n.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
i have more pics.. how do i post?? cant i post more thn 200 kbs of pics in all??
n i am posting the pics blindly. that is i m not sure which pic exactly m i posting.

Upload pics in imageshack and post links here. After you upload pics imageshack will show "forum" and other type of links. Then you copy the "forum" link of loaded pic into "insert link" of the reply message box. The pics will appear in the message here.

Nice gear. How about giving the Philips a polish coat?

The philips was a mid 70s model. Instead of coat, I plan to convert it to suspended chassis with out board power supply.
Also, the speed setting shd be more accurate.
Till then, a varnish is indeed called for. As is a mm cart or mc even it presently has ceramic but no 78 rpm option.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back