Simple Touchscreen wifi Radio with android

kaushik

The need .. some music to start your day with some workup/or in kitchen,should be low cost,easy to use..

Setup needs just 1 android phone and powered speakers if you have wifi at home.
steps :
Install a radio android app or few...free!
play via wifi, speakers make it loud and sweet.

mysetup:
>creative SBS 2 channel powered speakers some 600Rs..i had already
>Samsung captivate with 2.1 android [like the old OS!,u can have 2.3]
>Radio app is live 365/DI radio [Digitally Imported Radio - Android app on AppBrain ]
>optional USB charger connection,keep screen timeout :never setting in phone

jCC-gVi7MNKw6pO62bOXIpY60ygGZmqb8uWsqWJ-1OMSh6Xcw0-AWRX5e4xV43GJRAPlbIcHahlLhE5x

Setup
wifiradio.jpg

*The setup is touch screen ..really easy to use,just 1 tap i flip to next station or my fav station:D
* I keep charger connected if i need to listen for more time,but phone gives more than 2 hrs with 20% charge;)
*to receive incoming calls just i use speaker phone ,no need to remove the cell
*DIY dock will be a cool idea,fit creative speakers in a mdf shell,do a paint job.

Last edited:
Very Nice Idea. I have been seeing lot of village folk buying Rs 500 / - active speakers, add to it a second phone with 3.5 jack , for Rs 900/- and you have great music system for 1400 bucks. Nokia phone play for hours without charge.

i Dunt know where you get wifi phone with 400Rs ..which village it is?
At least many new cells with wifi + android many people have

if u wanna play mp3 , el cheapo player comes in 100.but here we are doing a web radio
Some things look good if kept minimal..so i added tiny speakers.

@kaushik:
Why would you need wifi when u have the real FM in the phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

@Kaushik

This is a good idea, I have been toying with the same one. I have to decide on a phone. I was looking at the Samsung BADA os variety as they have better battery life as well as also an app store. If the audio player is good then this would be a good option. The model I had had a very good responsive screen.

@others

Besides FM you can also listen to internet radio by hooking onto your home wi-fi network or better still if you have enabled 3g then you can go www way...

@Kaushik

This is a good idea, I have been toying with the same one. I have to decide on a phone. I was looking at the Samsung BADA os variety as they have better battery life as well as also an app store. If the audio player is good then this would be a good option. The model I had had a very good responsive screen.

@others

Besides FM you can also listen to internet radio by hooking onto your home wi-fi network or better still if you have enabled 3g then you can go www way...
Hi Gopi,
Why not Aakash Tab?Pre booking is open for March 2012
UbiSlate

Regards,
Sachin

@kaushik:
Why would you need wifi when u have the real FM in the phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
does local fm please u with crap ads and limited programs??
then this is for u
fm-radio.jpg

FM here is pure garbage,targeted at autowalla,drivers..eek !!
Seems i need to tell some basics:
why web radio ?3L+ station with free music of all genre etc country/pop/jazz/90s/80s/lounge..gothic rock..trance,quality talk shows ,news all

@gopib ....avoid that BADA(pauuuu!),this is fungus of samsung soon they will wipe it off..android cells like SGS1 cost just 12k preowned/import
my SGS is gps,HDcamcorder,mId for vid on the move,joggtracker,locked notebook..etc finally wifi radio, why take a cell with limits.

@sachu888 akash is a wastage of public money,why u wanna keep bulky tab for simple radio work,tablets are trend but really less used unless u r a heavy traveller and have wifi all d place like NY or advanced cities or ur college class needed Tab

Last edited:
does local fm please u with crap ads and limited programs??
then this is for u
fm-radio.jpg

FM here is pure garbage,targeted at autowalla,drivers..eek !!
Seems i need to tell some basics:
why web radio ?3L+ station with free music of all genre etc country/pop/jazz/90s/80s/lounge..gothic rock..trance,quality talk shows ,news all

The remark from amitk777 was regarding village folk using mobile+speakers for Rs 1400/- Obviously, we dont expect village folk to have a wifi broadband connection, that too with unlimited usage plan. Hence I said who needs wifi when you have FM. And mind you, FM is not as crap as we members think, coming from well to do families, having access to all the latest technology and money. For poor village folk, FM is listenable and not crap.
Anyway, coming back to the topic, kaushik your idea is nice and doable, especially in places like the kitchen (or outdoors) where we dont have a permanent music system setup.

That FM etc are off topic.. my motto here is
> choice of programs ,
>ease of use

nothing expensive Router 1.2K, net 500Pm

I have been toying with similar ideas since some time now, and recently setup 3 small systems. My goal: to be able to listen to internet radio on a small system in a portable way.

Here are my setups:

(Setup-1) CA-S30 speakers, Topping TP20 amp, NuForce uDAC, DELL Netbook
I setup a VPN proxy (Hotspot Shield) on my netbook and listen to Pandora. Awesome experience! If you haven't heard Pandora then you should listen to it atleast once. Great music based on your listening preferences, and really good sound quality.

(Setup-2) Same setup as above but wireless connection between netbook and rest of the audio system. For this I used Nokia BH-214 bluetooth headset adapter available on ebay.in for Rs.600:
NEW IN BOX NOKIA BLUETOOTH STEREO HEADSET BH-214 WHITE/BLACK IN COLOR+OEM QULTY | eBay

In this setup my netbook is freed from a physical connection to the audio system, and I can sit anywhere and play my music. It sounds good, though not as great as the first setup above, primarily because the uDAC is much better than the DAC in the Nokia BH-214.

Another advantage is that I can play music from any bluetooth phone in a wireless fashion. I use this to listen to radio apps (TuneIn radio) on my Blackberry, and mp3 as well. Haven't been able to make Pandora work on it though.

(Setup-3) Logitech Wireless Boombox:
Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Boombox for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch: MP3 Players & Accessories
I got this recently from the US, and for $99 it is a steal. This is a bluetooth speaker and you can use any bluetooth source with it. Sound quality is very good considering its portability (though doesn't come close to my first setup). And it has a rechargeable battery too.

Sumesh ,

That is a helpful info.. but your are loosing one main thing here ->simplicity
In mysetup there can be a option to have some better speakers or a mdf job to the creatives
I have radio app in lap but there are things that dont allow us to use this in many places
like keeping the lap/NB in a table etc , new setup /rack with DAC/AMP/bigger cables ,power rails..uff

apart from that we get many web radios in 5k range many are not willing to spend on them

I agree, the simplest solution is what you have described. Especially since everyone has some kind of powered speaker around (at least most of those who own desktop computers). Combine that with an Android phone, Blackberry or even an iPod touch, and you got yourself all the radio channels in the whole world!

And you can do that in the car too, if you have a data plan on your phone. Most car stereos have aux-in. Perfect listening if you are sick of the stuff served by local FM stations.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back