SMSL SA 60 trouble, please help!

malaparte

Hi, I just bought Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and an amplifier SMSL SA 60 to listen to music through a notebook. So far so heard an old mini hifi Sony MHC-RG20 via RCA. But when I try to listen to new speakers (which sound perfect RG20 connected to) using the notebook + SIDS SA 60, the sound is very very low, and quickly saturated. Can you confirm that is not adequately powered for Diamond 9.1, before returning the amplifier? Or maybe there is another problem? It is better to continue to use the Sony mini as an amplifier? Thank you!

---------
diamond 9.1:
100WattRMS Power handling
6 Ohm impedance
86dB sensitivity
55Hz-20KHzFrequency Response

---------
smsl sa 60:
Output Power: 55W + 55W (8 OHM @ 10%THD+N)
THD+N : <0.1%
SNR: >100dB
Crosstalk: <-100dB (1KHz)
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz (-3dB)
Max Gain: 37.5dB
Power: DC18V - 24V
Speaker Impedance:3 OHM - 16 OHM

My SMSL SA-98E can drive my Pioneer AJ floorstanders to normal listening volume at 9'o clock position of volume knob.

From the specs, I can see that the Wharfs have lower sensitivity than the Pioneers and SA-60 is lower powered than SA-98E. However, the amp should be able to drive the speakers to decent volume levels.

I assume you have kept the notebook volume at max level.

The issue is that 86bd sensitivity. Those speakers are a little power hungry. I guess you need more power going into the wharfs. If you are on computer, a good DAC that can give a full 2v signal would definitely increase SPL.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back