Sneak Preview: Eight Audio Agate B13 - 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers

Nikhil

Staff member
Eight Audio made an impression with quite a few at the last audio show in Mumbai with their Satori Rinjani and Satori Ara speakers. What HiFi magazine gave them a very encouraging review in their April 2019 issue. Located in my own backyard I was encouraged by many to go visit and find out more about Eight Audio.

I did manage to reach out to Shravanth the man behind Eight Audio and made a visit a few months ago. What I found out was an interesting background story that I must put down at a later date. But in brief, Eight Audio is the distributor for SB Acoustics via their affiliate online store DIY Audio Parts of which quite a few are already familiar with. The Satori range is manufactured by SB Acoustics and sold in India by Eight Audio as a finished product. Eight Audio also has a range of products manufactured in India with design inputs from consultants in Denmark and elsewhere.

Eight Audio Agate B13 - 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers
Website: https://www.eightaudio.in/products/eight-audio-agate-b13-2-way-bookshelf-speakers

DSC05292_copy_1024x1024.jpg

During my visit to Eight Audio last week, I was drawn to the sound of the Agate B13 while Shravanth switched speakers to showcase the different designs on offer. The Agate B13 bookshelf is a 2 way design that is built in house by Eight Audio. They were immediately coherent and threw a solid sound stage with imaging that appealed to my ears. Smaller bookshelf speakers appeal to me due to their precise imaging and cleaner sound. The paper cone mid bass driver played beautifully without any apparent flaws.

The biggest problem I see is that many will overlook this speaker due to it's price. At approx 24K delivered to your doorstep, I fear that these speakers will be paired with some consumer brand amp in a similar price range. It would be interesting to see what these speakers would sound like if fed with some quality gear.

I have requested Shravanth to borrow these speakers for a listen in my setup. Will follow up this sneak preview with a more detailed write up later on. It should be interesting to hear what they sound like in an environment that I am familiar with.

Regards

I loved the Satori Ara at the whathifi show

I heard it play

I could see potential there - but they needed to be setup better in exhibitions and maybe marketed better

I loved the Satori Ara at the whathifi show

I heard it play

I could see potential there - but they needed to be setup better in exhibitions and maybe marketed better

The good thing about Eight Audio is that they are incredibly young and enthusiastic. You are right that they do have to learn but their first impressions were from the DIY market which is extremely cost sensitive. This will change as they understand the market better. Will share more about my visit later on.

In the audio world, common maxim is "Higher price, better the quality"

However misplaced it may be...Hope they (Eight Audio) are able to market themselves effectively.

Is the price per pair or each? On the site is shows qty as 1 @24k, not sure if 1 means pair or 1 piece.
Cheers,
Sid
Never mind, price is per pair, written at bottom of page. Good pricing level. Curious to hear more, hopefully they exhibit at what hi fi show. Finish on the other speakers looks superb.
Cheers,
Sid

Never mind, price is per pair, written at bottom of page. Good pricing level. Curious to hear more, hopefully they exhibit at what hi fi show. Finish on the other speakers looks superb.
Cheers,
Sid

Eight Audio has onsite CNC woodworking as well as high quality wood joinery.
Paint finishes are furniture grade including duco if I'm not mistaken.

Some images from their manufacturing stage.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-07 at 1.05.53 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-10 at 7.42.55 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-07 at 1.05.53 PM (1).jpeg

Finished Agate B13 speakers

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-11 at 5.29.25 PM.jpeg

Nikhil, did you get a chance to listen to the Agates at your place, in your setup?

I find the price really low. How will they sustain their operations at this pricing? The only guys who can sell at this sort of pricing are big global brands like Pioneer, selling the famous Andrew Jones designed small bookshelf speakers. They have the volume and the distribution network to carry it off.

Nikhil, did you get a chance to listen to the Agates at your place, in your setup?

Have asked for the Agates after the HiFi show this weekend.
But I have some travel coming up so most likely the listening will take place in October.

I find the price really low. How will they sustain their operations at this pricing? The only guys who can sell at this sort of pricing are big global brands like Pioneer, selling the famous Andrew Jones designed small bookshelf speakers. They have the volume and the distribution network to carry it off.

It is a very good price for pair of speakers. But why is that a problem? The price point is right where a lot of folks are comfortable. For more moolah, potential buyers can go straight to the Satori Aras if that gives one a sense of security. But to answer your question, audio isn't the only business that the ownership behind Eight Audio are into.

and they just increased their price by 5k!i remember on saturday night it was 24k for a pair... now its 29k! bad for business if they are going to keep increasing price on weekly basis!

It is a very good price for pair of speakers. But why is that a problem? The price point is right where a lot of folks are comfortable. For more moolah, potential buyers can go straight to the Satori Aras if that gives one a sense of security. But to answer your question, audio isn't the only business that the ownership behind Eight Audio are into.
If they can sustain their business, who am I to argue? :)

My reasons to comment about their price were firstly because audio is a very difficult business, and we've seen a lot of well-intentioned ventures go out of business because they couldn't make the volumes which are needed at the prices they were trying to work at. I'd hate to see Eight Audio go the same way; they are a great help to the DIY audio community here. Secondly, in brand-conscious societies (India, China are tops in this), pricing a consumer item too low often sends the wrong positioning message to the market. This market often equates quality with price.

and they just increased their price by 5k!i remember on saturday night it was 24k for a pair... now its 29k! bad for business if they are going to keep increasing price on weekly basis!
The base price is still 24K. For different finishes there is a 5K premium.
Cheers,
Raghu

If they can sustain their business, who am I to argue? :)

My reasons to comment about their price were firstly because audio is a very difficult business, and we've seen a lot of well-intentioned ventures go out of business because they couldn't make the volumes which are needed at the prices they were trying to work at. I'd hate to see Eight Audio go the same way; they are a great help to the DIY audio community here. Secondly, in brand-conscious societies (India, China are tops in this), pricing a consumer item too low often sends the wrong positioning message to the market. This market often equates quality with price.

Like I said earlier the Agate is only one of their product offerings.
They do have a whole range of speakers available at much higher prices levels.

No idea about the exact model but this one is about Rs 2.5L plus

Eight Audio.jpg

Eight Audio has onsite CNC woodworking as well as high quality wood joinery.
Paint finishes are furniture grade including duco if I'm not mistaken.

Some images from their manufacturing stage.

View attachment 38490

View attachment 38491

View attachment 38489

Finished Agate B13 speakers

View attachment 38492

Hi Nikhil,
What do you have to say about their cosmetic finish? In the pics which shows one of their cabinets (paint finish) the edges doesn’t look so sharp. Maybe it’s not clear from the pics for me. I would like to know your opinion about the cosmetic finish.
Thanks,
Sachin

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back