"SOLSTICE" MLTL Designed by Late Mr. Jeff Bagby (RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadik

Back with another project “Solstice” MLTL.

A small introduction of this project. This kit is designed by Mr. Jeff Bagby. The drivers used are from Morel. This kit is available for purchase from part express including complete enclosure (without assembly). In this case we had Drivers and Cross-Over (assembled on PCB) We did not had the enclosure so we had to do research online and get the required dimensions from the persons who already own this kit. After getting required information / dimensions, we went ahead for the built. The person who has given me this project has complete faith in me, He also assured not to worry if something goes wrong after all we are doing this project based on inputs / information collected / searched online.

Because even if you own the kit, part express dose not provide dimensions of enclosure. they will provide only built up guide and a video of built shard on youtube,

Below are the words from the Legend itself.
"This is honestly one of the best two-way designs I have ever done. I can find very little to fault. Not only is the response exceptionally flat, but it sounds very balanced, with fantastic resolution and detail. Vocals are beautiful, as are instruments. Bass is full, extended, and very impressive. Nothing stands out, it is just sound honest and accurate… It is really a high-end speaker worthy to be compared with systems that cost several thousand dollars."

It will be a milestone for me if the project is success and i know we will make it success. The final finish is yet to be decided. The construction of this enclosure will be 18 mm MDF as recommended in kit.

The Drivers are
Morel TiCW 638Nd Titanium Series Hybrid Cu 6" Woofer 8 Ohm
Morel CAT 308 1-1/8" Soft Dome Tweeter

Below is the photo of this Speakers, this is how it looks after assembly. (Below photo of enclosure is not my built)
Solstice Sample.jpeg

Today i have got all the baffles. All cutting has been done on CNC router except for the grooves. Today I have started the assembly of this Project. Below are photos of today's work.
IMG_20201024_173854.jpg

IMG_20201024_174212.jpg

IMG_20201024_173839.jpg

IMG_20201024_173826.jpg

IMG_20201024_183839.jpg

IMG_20201024_183845.jpg

Enjoy guys. Cheers...;)

No matter how much you own them you will be always out of clamps.

If you ask a woman "How many shoes do you have?" the answer is always "Not enough".
Thankfully, guys seriously into carpentry have the exact same answer to "How many clamps do you have?"
Sweet revenge!!

Cheers,
Raghu

Way to go Sadik, hats off to your DIY spirit and taking up new challenges. I hope lots of members on the forum who want to build but hesitating to go ahead because of the tools, space, time constraint should be inspired with your efforts and start themselves or reach out to you and take your services :)

3 driver 2 way Floorstander is interesting...

Many floorstanders with 3 drivers and up as 2.5 way or 3 way...

I suppose the crossover isn't too complicated then.

I was reading up on this speaker.

It looks like a build with some degree of risk in it as the cabinet is not from Parts Express and for an MLTL the measurements & stuffing have to be correct.

There seem to be many happy customers out there with this build.

It should sound like an 8 + 1 speaker ( in a large cabinet ) ...and the drivers by themselves especially the midbass are very expensive when new
USD 245 each !!!

I was reading up on this speaker.

It looks like a build with some degree of risk in it as the cabinet is not from Parts Express and for an MLTL the measurements & stuffing have to be correct.

There seem to be many happy customers out there with this build.

It should sound like an 8 + 1 speaker ( in a large cabinet ) ...and the drivers by themselves especially the midbass are very expensive when new
USD 245 each !!!

We have already taken the risk, now its no looking back. We have researched for the dimensions online and have succeeded to get the exact dimensions internal as well as external. They have also shared the built guide in which they have mentioned how much quantity of Acoustic polyfill is required & in video there is glimpse where to place the polyfill.

We have already taken the risk, now its no looking back. We have researched for the dimensions online and have succeeded to get the exact dimensions internal as well as external. They have also shared the built guide in which they have mentioned how much quantity of Acoustic polyfill is required & in video there is glimpse where to place the polyfill.

Good luck !

DiY kits would normally be built with some tolerances considered so that will help.

Update:-

I made some error and it cannot be corrected, I accidentally glued the front baffle of Second enclosure in wrong position. The back side in front, hence the work till now is in vein. I will now make fresh start. From tomorrow i will have to work even faster.

Below are the photos.
IMG_20201029_182656.jpgIMG_20201029_182703.jpg

work safe..

in the race against time be mindful of safety..

woodworking requires working with sharp and sometimes rotary tools.. and i want you to be wary of hazards.

Are 2 build links

Last edited:
Update:-

I made some error and it cannot be corrected, I accidentally glued the front baffle of Second enclosure in wrong position. The back side in front, hence the work till now is in vein. I will now make fresh start. From tomorrow i will have to work even faster.

Below are the photos.
View attachment 51365View attachment 51366
i must appreciate your attention to detail. The way the rear has been miter-cut will ensure no unecessary back pressure on the woofer. many DIYers miss this detail. However most would leave a some part of the rear un-mitered so as to allow the screws to get a good grip.

if its not a trade secret, how were you planning the mount the screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back