Sony 950G vs LG C9 - 40k price difference

LG C9 vs Sony 950G (LG being 40k more expensive)

• LG C9

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Sony 950G

Votes: 32 50.8%

• Total voters

BlrTechie

Hey Guys,

I am looking to upgrade from a VU 40" TV to a 65" TV. My general use cases are:
1. Streaming apps - 60%
2. Cable TV - 20%
3. News and Sports - 15%
4. Gaming - 5%

I understand the C9 being an OLED is a far better TV but I am worried about burn in. During IPL or cricket season the TV would play long durations of matches with scoreboard a point of concern with burn in. Also might end up some time watching football and News where there are static content as well. Also the price quoted for me are:
C9 - 2.05 (LG showroom bangalore)
sony - 1.65 (Baron's showroom)

Pros and Cons of both:

Sony

Pros :
1. No tension of burn in
2. 40K cheaper. Can invest that money in getting an AC !
3. Brighter than OLED
4. Sony's superior chipset (as per the market)

Cons:
1. Have heard about lot of blooming.
2. I watch most content with subtitles which might make blooming more apparent.
3. Cant match Black levels of OLED

My complete dark room viewing in a daily life would be max 2-3 hrs.

Hey Guys,

I am looking to upgrade from a VU 40" TV to a 65" TV. My general use cases are:
1. Streaming apps - 60%
2. Cable TV - 20%
3. News and Sports - 15%
4. Gaming - 5%

I understand the C9 being an OLED is a far better TV but I am worried about burn in. During IPL or cricket season the TV would play long durations of matches with scoreboard a point of concern with burn in. Also might end up some time watching football and News where there are static content as well. Also the price quoted for me are:
C9 - 2.05 (LG showroom bangalore)
sony - 1.65 (Baron's showroom)

Pros and Cons of both:

Sony

Pros :
1. No tension of burn in
2. 40K cheaper. Can invest that money in getting an AC !
3. Brighter than OLED
4. Sony's superior chipset (as per the market)

Cons:
1. Have heard about lot of blooming.
2. I watch most content with subtitles which might make blooming more apparent.
3. Cant match Black levels of OLED

My complete dark room viewing in a daily life would be max 2-3 hrs.

Check Rtings burn-in test. Calculate your yearly usage for the problematic items. IPL won't be a problem, as scorecards often change and then each season the style is different. Even then calculate hours based on Rtings test.

For example, static elements burned-in from the worst news channel by 3,000 hours. So if you watch the same news channel for 2 hours everyday, that's 730 hours per year. So you can expect burn-in by about the fourth year.

However, here's the good news. That test was on 2017 models. The red subpixel, which was degrading the fastest, was boosted in 2018 and then again in 2019. Now it's almost twice the size, and along with aperture ratio improvements too, all of that increase is being used for headroom for compensation cycle as brightness hasn't increased as such.

So you can expect almost twice the life, if not a lot more, as correlation with increase and half-life might not be linear. A 2x size increase can increase burn-in free life a lot more.

For example, in 2016 to 2017, the performance increased 5-6x times, as evidenced Ritngs burn-in tests on both. What changed? That has been debated over on the OLED tech thread. Consensus now is that stack was changed from 3 stack, 2 colors to 3 stack, 3 colors. That in itself boosted performance from 500-600 hours to burn-in on 2016 panels to 3,000+ on 2017 panels.

So you can expect at least twice as much perfomance. So 4 hours of same news channel, and you're still fine for 4 years. If you're watching difffernt ones, even better.

If this isn't enough, there's also logo Luminance that was introduced in 2018. It'll help even more.

Based on what you have written, I don't expect your usage to lead to burn-in for 4-5 years at least, even if you max the brightness. This is conservative estimate. I err on the side of caution.

Did not mention any card disscaunt or gift voucher.haven't you got any?.
I would like to know take home price.

Check Rtings burn-in test. Calculate your yearly usage for the problematic items. IPL won't be a problem, as scorecards often change and then each season the style is different. Even then calculate hours based on Rtings test.

For example, static elements burned-in from the worst news channel by 3,000 hours. So if you watch the same news channel for 2 hours everyday, that's 730 hours per year. So you can expect burn-in by about the fourth year.

However, here's the good news. That test was on 2017 models. The red subpixel, which was degrading the fastest, was boosted in 2018 and then again in 2019. Now it's almost twice the size, and along with aperture ratio improvements too, all of that increase is being used for headroom for compensation cycle as brightness hasn't increased as such.

So you can expect almost twice the life, if not a lot more, as correlation with increase and half-life might not be linear. A 2x size increase can increase burn-in free life a lot more.

For example, in 2016 to 2017, the performance increased 5-6x times, as evidenced Ritngs burn-in tests on both. What changed? That has been debated over on the OLED tech thread. Consensus now is that stack was changed from 3 stack, 2 colors to 3 stack, 3 colors. That in itself boosted performance from 500-600 hours to burn-in on 2016 panels to 3,000+ on 2017 panels.

So you can expect at least twice as much perfomance. So 4 hours of same news channel, and you're still fine for 4 years. If you're watching difffernt ones, even better.

If this isn't enough, there's also logo Luminance that was introduced in 2018. It'll help even more.

Based on what you have written, I don't expect your usage to lead to burn-in for 4-5 years at least, even if you max the brightness. This is conservative estimate. I err on the side of caution.

Thanks Marakk. Yes I saw this. How much of a panel lottery is in case of OLED?

Did not mention any card disscaunt or gift voucher.haven't you got any?.
I would like to know take home price.
Yeah a 10k gift voucher, some pre book offer. They had a 32" LED TV free with C9 and it was at 2,29,000. On mentioning that I wouldnt need the TV, they gave the price 2.05

Thanks Marakk. Yes I saw this. How much of a panel lottery is in case of OLED?

OLEDs have good uniformity overall. There are however problems in the dark grey range. Average panel can have some dark areas and banding, but it's rarely noticeable in content. White tinting also happens sometimes. So lottery is there, but that's true for LCDs too. Even high-end Q90 can have bad panels. There's no sure shot clean TV tech in the market currently.

OLEDs have good uniformity overall. There are however problems in the dark grey range. Average panel can have some dark areas and banding, but it's rarely noticeable in content. White tinting also happens sometimes. So lottery is there, but that's true for LCDs too. Even high-end Q90 can have bad panels. There's no sure shot clean TV tech in the market currently.
I have heard that some users abuse the set but still end up without any burn in and some despite taking the measures end up having burn in. Though thats mostly 6 and 7 series. As u mentioned the double sized red pixels. Guess we have to wait another year till we see burn in reports coming from 8 series.

I have heard that some users abuse the set but still end up without any burn in and some despite taking the measures end up having burn in. Though thats mostly 6 and 7 series. As u mentioned the double sized red pixels. Guess we have to wait another year till we see burn in reports coming from 8 series.

That's not true at all. General trend has more or less been the same. Every burn-in post usually matches well with Rtings test. Trust the evidence, and not anecdotes leading to wonky theories.

And yes, we will have to wait for a year or so more for burn-in reports from 2018. I'm running my C9 with SDR tweaked to take highlights to max luminance. I don't have any static elements. I expect my set to last 5-6 years before general degradation happens. That's enough for me, if some other part of it doesn't blow up first. lol

40k is a significant amount. Depends how much your viewing means to you. OLED will be OLED but Sony is a pretty great LED too. My friend has the 55" model and most of the times the picture is comparable in a non dark room. Once you switch off the lights any LED will look bad compared to OLED. To mitigate blooming, people have suggested biased lighting.
End of the day Your Money is your Money, None of My Money !! And hence its your decision if you want to shell 40k extra for an OLED which is certainly a tech that is way ahead of LED. Did you try B9 though? If the B9 is anywhere in 10-15k range of the Sony, I would say go for B9.

Is that for 65in Sony 950G? If yes, thats a steal price, I'd pick it up without a second thought. (Thats me and I am not crazy about black levels). My usage is similar to yours minus the gaming.
I second that. Indeed great deal.:D

Hey Guys,

I am looking to upgrade from a VU 40" TV to a 65" TV.
I am in the same boat as you, though in the 55’ range.

The better upscaling and lack of burn in risk is making me lean towards the Sony.

I may also consider the A8G if i get it at a price similar to the C9.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back