Sony BDV-E880 3D Bluray Home Theatre

madhavk8

Does anyone know how good is Sony BDV-E880 3D Bluray Home Theatre. It is available for 27k inclusive of 3D bluray player. Any reviews? Is it better than Onkyo 3400?

Does anyone know how good is Sony BDV-E880 3D Bluray Home Theatre. It is available for 27k inclusive of 3D bluray player. Any reviews? Is it better than Onkyo 3400?

IMO its ok, but nothing great. I auditioned it the sound was decent.

But as compared to Onkyo 3400. I don't think so. Keep in mind that 880 does not take DTS-MA or Dollby TruHD as an INPUT from external sources. It would decode the blue ray which is played on the system with either of two above audios but it will not decode them if you bitstream audio as input from say a pc via HDMI. (See the specs on sony website or letsbuy.com). It says there - decode DTS-MA - yes (HDMI input - No).

I am also looking for a HT & I was advised Onkyo 3400. Problem is, currently in Kolkata I am not getting Onkyo 3400 (all dealers are stating some way-bill issue with Onkyo). So, I am even wondering if Sony BDV-E880 could be a good buy or not. I am getting this for 29200/-. I also noticed that it doesn't have any HDMI Input. So, does this mean that this 5.1 system will work only for whatever is played via the Sony Player & not work with my TV viewing (LG 42LD460)? If we buy Onkyo 3400 - will it allow 5.1 playing even with the TV output?

Please guide me on these...as my knowledge is really "0" in this segment.

Thanks & regards

ya it will play the audio from tv too:eek:hyeah:

Don't buy the Sony HTIB. You will end with limited connectivity and low SQ. If you have a budget of 30K, then options other than Onkyo 3400 are Denon 1312XP, Yamah 294/296 etc. All these HTIBs have AVR which can take 4 HDMI inputs, optical, coaxial and RCA inputs to connect your TV out, DVD out etc.

Onkyo 3400 comes with passive subwoofer where as Yamaha 296 has active subwoofer. You can't upgrade to a better sub later with Onkyo 3400 as it has no preout for sub. I don't know how good is the yamaha HTIB. For music, it said that Yamah is better than Onkyo.

See, I am not recommending any particular product. I just posted the options available. It is upto you to decide which one is best in your budget. Dumping the sony is a good move. You can get better systems at that price range.

I am also looking for a HT & I was advised Onkyo 3400. Problem is, currently in Kolkata I am not getting Onkyo 3400 (all dealers are stating some way-bill issue with Onkyo). So, I am even wondering if Sony BDV-E880 could be a good buy or not. I am getting this for 29200/-. I also noticed that it doesn't have any HDMI Input. So, does this mean that this 5.1 system will work only for whatever is played via the Sony Player & not work with my TV viewing (LG 42LD460)? If we buy Onkyo 3400 - will it allow 5.1 playing even with the TV output?

Please guide me on these...as my knowledge is really "0" in this segment.

Thanks & regards

Hey Mate, I am also from Kolkata, its sad that you are not aware where to buy Onkyo product in Kolkata...Please visit Promises Instruments, Shakespeare Sarani, just opposite to Kalamandir..They are the only authorised and dedicated seller of Onkyo products in entire Kolkata. I have booked 3400 at 25K.

It has 4 HDMI input and can accept all signals...It has Audio Return Channel too so audio signal can be send back to the receiver from the tv without the need of any extra cable.

As pointed out by samy, pls visit the Onkyo Showroom and have a demo. If you are satisfied with its performance then buy it. This will save you a lot of money. HT store is a reliable seller.

Ok, experts - need your help on urgent basis!

I just spoke to Promises Intruments for Onkyo 3400. They are asking 25900/-.

So, my options are:
  1. Onkyo 3400. They are asking 25900/-
  2. Denon AVR 1312 with PolkAudio @ 42K
  3. Denon 1312XP from HT Store @ 30K (+2500/- for DTDC courier charge)

I honestly don't have time to go & do a sound check. :( (that is why I am going to make the payment over wire transfer/net banking). So, what will be best value for money?

Just to re-cap: my usage will be:
(1) Home movie viewing (mostly via br-rips)
(2) In future I intend to plug-in a PS3 or X-Box
(3) Regular TV viewing (Airtel HD)

Please advise, as I want to close this deal ASAP.

Thanks & regards

I would chose Onkyo 3400 anyday among all these other items.. I have taken demo of 3400 and simply blown away by its sound capabilities. Its awesome for Movies and excellent for music ( yes I have found MP3 files outstanding too)..Moreover its cheap among your other choices.

Bargain further to bring down the price to 25K coz I have booked mine at 25K. Take a demo of it, I am sure you wont be disappointed. It suits all your need listed above. Thanks.

These Home Theater Pacakages are good so long your Room Volume is small to medium since the built in amplifier and the speaker systems are not that powerful to fill a large room.

I have a small room with low ceiling and it sounds good for the price.

Hi everbody! I auditioned the E880 and found the audio quality lacking substance. However I love the concept of the all-in-one 3d Blu Ray player & receiver. I have just bought the LG LW5700 Led and want a good HT to go with it. My bedroom is 10 x 12 and getting a seperate amp etc will clutter the room up real bad.
So here's my query. What 5.1 speaker system can one pair with the receiver on the E880.
I could buy the HT, sell (or gift) the speakers and pair a totally different speaker set with the Receiver... Does that sound weird??

For its price, nothing can beat Onkyo 3400. But which model were you offered for the polk. If it is polk RM6750, it is anyday better than the Onkyo speakers and definitely worth the extra pennies. Meanwhile why are you not trying the ebay option, many have got it for Rs. 22k something. Is there any courier problem to WB?

Hi everybody!
I have auditioned the E880 and found the audio bit lacking. However the concept of a AVR+3D Blu ray player appeals to me greatly. I have a small bedroom 10x12 and have just bought the LG 42LW5700 LED. Now i am considering buy the HT @ 23k and upgrading the speakers with something more substantial. Due to space constraints I cannot have seperate components in my room.
How does the idea sound and what 5 speaker set (will use the sub that comes with the HT) should I be looking at to pair with the receiver/player?

Many thanks!

@jerryjames72: Thanks for your quick response. Excuse me for being extra stupid, but did you mean Onkyo will play TV audio or Sony will play TV audio? OR is it both? :sos:

onkyo hts 3400 will play the tv audio & hts 3400 will blow your mind in movies I took a demo recently with my action movie clips & it was amazing explosion's were so real that i thought its just happening in front of me truly theatrical experience :yahoo: you can buy this eyes closed :eek:hyeah:

Ok, just got the Onkyo 3400 delivered at my office. I had wrongly assumed that I can carry it along easily, but the package seems quite big actually. :lol: So, will have to arrange for some cab to carry it home. Can't wait to unpack & try it out. :yahoo:

Thanks to all experts towards helping me decide.

Best regards & thanks...thanks...thanks... :clapping:
Hey heartiest congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy :)

Ok, just got the Onkyo 3400 delivered at my office. I had wrongly assumed that I can carry it along easily, but the package seems quite big actually. :lol: So, will have to arrange for some cab to carry it home. Can't wait to unpack & try it out. :yahoo:

Thanks to all experts towards helping me decide.

Best regards & thanks...thanks...thanks... :clapping:

Heyyy many many congratulations friend on your purchase...I am sure you will very extremely satisfied with its sound capabilities. Its actually awesome for any input be it movies or music.. Let me know how is your experience once you set it up in your room.

Btw have you got HDMI cable free with it?

Sorry friends! For some reason administrator banned me! So all my posts are gone! I sincerely thank you all for your valuable feedback & guidance.

:thumbsup:

@baijuxavior: Yes, it is "innindia". I guess the web links caused this misunderstanding. :( Those are all my personal sites & I put those in my signature - as recently I noticed someone else doing so. I wished I was given a warning before completely banning me.:annoyed:

Anyways, I really appreciate all the help I got from you all. I have finally got the Onkyo 3400 running. It indeed blew my (& my family's) mind off. :eek:hyeah: It is just awesome!!! But 1 problem I faced (though I think someone had informed me earlier about this) - the guy who came for installation stated that HDMI can't be used for connecting the AVR with our LD460, rather an optical cable is required. He sold me a cable for 2500/- (3 mt). This system is working fine...my normal TV viewing & even more Cinema viewing - using the HDD attached to the LCD is mind blowing. I am simply loving it!!!

Thanks to you all once again! This would not have been possible without all your help & friendly advise.

Regards
Arijit (Sarbagna aka "innindia")

@baijuxavior: Yes, it is "innindia". I guess the web links caused this misunderstanding. :( Those are all my personal sites & I put those in my signature - as recently I noticed someone else doing so. I wished I was given a warning before completely banning me.:annoyed:

Anyways, I really appreciate all the help I got from you all. I have finally got the Onkyo 3400 running. It indeed blew my (& my family's) mind off. :eek:hyeah: It is just awesome!!! But 1 problem I faced (though I think someone had informed me earlier about this) - the guy who came for installation stated that HDMI can't be used for connecting the AVR with our LD460, rather an optical cable is required. He sold me a cable for 2500/- (3 mt). This system is working fine...my normal TV viewing & even more Cinema viewing - using the HDD attached to the LCD is mind blowing. I am simply loving it!!!

Thanks to you all once again! This would not have been possible without all your help & friendly advise.

Regards
Arijit (Sarbagna aka "innindia")

In all Panasonic TVs there is a dedicated HDMI slot for sending back signals to the source called Audio Return Chanell (ARC). I dont know whether your TV which is not a Panny has that capacity...Better check your tv manual..

BTW congrats again for your purchase.. I knew that it will blow your mind and ears..I have auditioned many HTs incld Sony, Philips, LG (though never auditioned Denon) but have found Onkyo sound is best. Because its produce balanced sound in all aspects, nether loud nor lack punches..Its crisp and clear and really make you feel you are in a Multiplex theatre. Is it not that great??
:)

For best result use a Blu ray player connected to your device...

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back