Sony Bravia 32EX300 - guidance on 32" LCD

Bull

This is my first post on HFV( after introduction).

I am planning to purchase a 32 inch LCD TV and am looking on advice/ suggestions for same

I have thoroughly been through most of the posts on HFV regarding same, and am able to gather following:
1. The Philips 32 inch 5609 seems to be most popular currently (2010) in this category( Natural colour and image reproduction etc)
2. A TV need not necessarily be full-HD, even HD Ready resolutions are fine for 32 inch model
3. Sony and Samsung are premium brands, with continuously updated technology

My requirements are:
1. 95% viewing on SD channels via TATA Sky or Hathway digital cable( via STB) and rest occasional movies via DVD( English/ Hindi)
2. Durability and after sales service non negotiable
3. Not necessarily Full HD
4. Cost around INR 35000, Mumbai
5. Viewing distance: No issue/ constraint

Based on these, I short-listed Sony 32EX300 and tried to understand the technology under it from brochure and web-site. I came to conclusion that Sony Bravia nowadays use BE3 engine which handles image processing etc. Since same processor is used on all, the image reproduction all four 32 inch models( BX300, EX300, EX400 and NX500) should be similar though there could be difference in NX500( better motion handling), EX400( better and sharper than next two due to FHD) and BX300( absence of ambient light sensor). I also tried to check the Blu-ray/DVD and SD picture reproduction on these models, by visiting various shops.
At one shop, I noticed that the BX/EX300 models render red colour( apples) with orange-ish shades, only NX500 renders it true red( the source signal was the Blu-ray they play in most shops a cartoon film showing garden, sky, mountain, trees, an animal, grass and apples falling from tree onto grass). I was shocked as I had assumed that though sharpness etc may vary but colour reproduction should not be so different( since all use same BE3). I also noticed that in one case light pink wall was being rendered with orange-ish shade.
I asked the sales-person and he said that Sony ka sirf brand name hai, LG ka picture dekho apple full red hai aur zyaada smooth bhi. Philips main human skin correctly display ho rahee hai, par Sony mein picture unnecessarily bright hai; night scene bhi bright hai :D . I also compared it to Samsung/ LG/ Panasonic both FHD and HDR, in all their models apples were red :) . Also, there seemed to be a white-ish layer, more prominent on EX400 and NX500, on Sony screens, while Philips seemed cool/ normal.
I also visited Sony center, and asked them same. They said something about vividness etc which I didnt understand.

Basically, I want a durable LCD with good PQ and SQ. I have short-listed Sony as I have more confidence (gut feeling though) on their quality and A.S.S. Though in shops Philips seems better, but I have doubts on its durability (e.g. Philips DVD players) and A.S.S. not being mature.

The HDR models of Sony sell at rates equivalent of FHD models of other brands, but at-least the colour reproduction for 32s, Sony seems to be inconsistent how can same BE3 render colours in different shades? . Is there something I am missing here, or, am I being unreasonable in comparing colours etc, or, is it all about brand premium based marketing etc?

Would enlightened members (Ram, Adder, Spiro et al) guide me on this? Also, Adder mentioned at one place that we can tweak Sony more than Philips. Will that help in this case?

Also, as an aside, considering my requirements, is EX300 most VFM model or you could suggest something else?

PS: If I have raised this question at wrong forum, please let me know, I will move it from here

well in tvs the image processing is important but so are the panels used,in the high and mid end sonys they uses a custom color filters and backlight,while in the lower end models its just the OEM filters and backlight.

i would suggest u to go with a FHD tv ,the reason being they are of slightly newer tech,which have better contrast,slightly better viewing angle(this of course varies in some brands).

i feel the EX400 is the better choice,not a huge fan of NX range since i hate glossy screen tvs.
also sony tvs factory settings are one of the worst,philips has one of the best factory settings.

the profit margin in LG i heard are really high and one of the lowest is sony.so don't get brain washed by the salesmen.
if u find the EX400 to be expensive you can buy it from the grey market ,other then the sony i find the philips to be good.samsung will also soon launch their 2010 models in around a months time.

>> also sony tvs factory settings are one of the worst,philips has one of the best factory settings.
Thanks, that gives me some confidence, as I trust Sony A.S.S. more!

Also, will check/ wait for new Samsung models, as they arrive.

Does getting Samsung or Philips via Grey route makes sense, in terms of better make/ quality than Indian models?

Adder, you mentioned that the factory setting of the Sony is one of the worst!
Can you give me your tip on what the setting for EX400 should be?

i recently picked up the 40 Inch ex400, your advice would be helpful....
Also other expert members like Venkatcr Sir and Prakasse....please enlighten me with your valuable experience.

PS: I would also need your guidance on the best setting for my Onkyo 606 Receiver with Diamond 9.6 L and Right and 9 CS as center speaker...
i am not using a sub currently, using Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III for the rear surround ...

Please let me know if i need to raise this question in a separate thread under the Speaker/Receiver section.

well basic settings in sony is that turn off the Noise reduction,MPEG noise reduction,black corrector,clear whites.

when ones cranks up the backlight ,one can notice the artifacts in SD more easily.so leave the light sensor ON,it does a fairly good job,the sharpness no more then 10 to 12.
the advanced contrast enhancers is can be put to low, or OFF.
putting it to mid and high will effect the shadow details and colors.

Also, will check/ wait for new Samsung models, as they arrive.

Does getting Samsung or Philips via Grey route makes sense, in terms of better make/ quality than Indian models?

the samsung have no price advantage in grey since they are manufactured in india,philips lcds aren't imported by grey dealers.

only sony,some import sharp and hitachi.sonys are by far are the most popular,its sells like hot cakes in the grey market,i wouldn't be suprised if sony sell more in the grey market then in showrooms,if bought from the grey market its one of cheapest in terms of price compared to others in showrooms.
the BX300 costs around 24 to 25k,the 40" BX400 costs 44k or may be cheaper now.

Last edited:
I still prefer Philips for the best PQ. Sony EX is also a good model. It boil downs to your comfort. Philips there will always be that question mark on service if things go wrong, which shouldnt as this TVs are made really well.

Going grey is again your comfort factor, my thinking if something goes wrong in u r panel it happens in first 4-6 months, so it makes sense to buy with warranty.

Stay away from Panasonic X series, i simply hate it. Just cant forgive myself for giving in to it.

Hey, b/w Sony KLV-32EX400 and LG 32LG80FR (having 3.1ch speaker system), which one would you choose? I am being offered the Sony for around 32k and same for the LG...
Also please pardon my ignorance,but what is the difference between dealer warranty and manufacturer warranty??:confused:
Thanks

Hey, b/w Sony KLV-32EX400 and LG 32LG80FR (having 3.1ch speaker system), which one would you choose? I am being offered the Sony for around 32k and same for the LG...
Also please pardon my ignorance,but what is the difference between dealer warranty and manufacturer warranty??:confused:
Thanks

get the EX400,dealer warranty means the dealers own warranty meaning its mostly a grey piece,so he will try to fix it or replace it,but better ask the dealer how it works out.manufacture warranty is from the manufacturer.

Sony am getting with Dealer warranty and LG with Manufacturer warranty. Should I still go with Sony?

@shredder
Sony EX400 is for 32K in grey market, that means he will deliver to you and if TV does not work at time of purchase, he will take it back; but later after a few weeks if it does not work, then its your luck( and upon you to repair)
Did you ask dealer upto what time duration is he ready to replace TV if it faults?

@shredder
Sony EX400 is for 32K in grey market, that means he will deliver to you and if TV does not work at time of purchase, he will take it back; but later after a few weeks if it does not work, then its your luck( and upon you to repair)
Did you ask dealer upto what time duration is he ready to replace TV if it faults?

dealer warranty is for one year. But whether he will actually replace is not clear. It is at his discretion:mad:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back