Sony KDL 46CX520 < 4 yrs old - Vertical thin line in the panel - Panel replacement !!

elangoas

Hi All,

It was on 25th Dec 2012 that i purchased the Sony 46 inch LCD-CCFL backlit TV for 57K with a standard warranty of 1 yr. Before the standard warranty could expire, i purchased extended warranty for 7.5K for an other 2 yrs which covers the TV till Dec 2015. So approx spent 65K.

Oct 2015 - Within warranty period - Motherboard issue, No picture - replaced under warranty.

Jul 2016 - TV started developing a vertical blue line. Logged call with Sony India care, technician dropped in and confirmed that panel needs to be replaced..

Today technician called up and confirmed that the total cost of new panel + Installation charges would be 40K +. Am yet to speak in detail with him as it is his end of office hours.. He said he will talk to me tomorrow..

It is so unfortunate that the panel started developing issues, 7 months after the extended warranty expired :mad:

So a 65K product from "SONY" has a life span of < 4 yrs..and 40K + to reinstate is definitely not acceptable from world popular brand..

I know it is not worth replacing the panel for 40K.. But need your inputs on the next steps...

Last edited:
Re: Sony KDL 46CX520 < 4 yrs old - Vertical thin line in the panel - Panel replacemen

That is Really unfortunate. It is really not worth to fix the panel for 40k. If the issue is managaeble then you can use it some more time until you buy a new one.

Re: Sony KDL 46CX520 < 4 yrs old - Vertical thin line in the panel - Panel replacemen

That is Really unfortunate. It is really not worth to fix the panel for 40k. If the issue is managaeble then you can use it some more time until you buy a new one.

I can manage, but am not too sure if it might start developing thicker line in the coming days..

Just go for cheaper brands now VU which is better value for money, Sony is very expensive compared to its price I mean it's good but not that good

Use it until it dies. You will get used to the line!

Then when you buy a new TV, you will wonder if the new TV is defective as the line is not there!!!

On a more serious note, please do not think about service or panel replacement. I do not think it is worth it.

Instead start planning and saving for a 4K, HDR, HDR10, WCG TV (lip smacking!) replacement!!! :)

40K for panel replacement for a 55k TV is too much. Better to get a new TV with extended warranty.

Now I understood why two of my friends Sony TVs are just in their living room in nonworking condition.

My advice is, don't go for panel replacement,rather buy a new TV with that amount.Same thing happened with my 2 lakh rupee Samsung TV.Mother board damaged after 4 years and samsung saying you have to replace the TV because mother board is not available.So,I decided not to buy very expensive TV in the future,because there is no guarantee how long they will last.It's better to buy VFM TV's like VU.

A projector seems to be a better choice that these ultra high end tvs which conk off every 3-4 years .

A projector seems to be a better choice that these ultra high end tvs which conk off every 3-4 years .

Yeah.. Seems to be the way fwd.. Never paid attention to projector's so far.. Will do some reading... Thanks for the suggestion.

But how much is projector's life compared to these funny LED TV'?

Yeah.. Seems to be the way fwd.. Never paid attention to projector's so far.. Will do some reading... Thanks for the suggestion.

But how much is projector's life compared to these funny LED TV'?

Sorry for ur tv Elango. Try to get basic tv with extended warranty from Samsung ,sony. or Toshiba,VU also good vfm. IMHO projectors are only gud for movies,sports meant for 4hrs continuous viewing that's it. For every day 8- 10 hrs routine watching tv is the best thing. DLP projector life is about 3k to 5k hrs depending on ur luck too (dlp bulb plays a major role).so instead of 1l in tv. 50k for basic ledtv and spend the remaining in projector ( try to get from abroad).

Sorry for ur tv Elango. Try to get basic tv with extended warranty from Samsung ,sony. or Toshiba,VU also good vfm. IMHO projectors are only gud for movies,sports meant for 4hrs continuous viewing that's it. For every day 8- 10 hrs routine watching tv is the best thing. DLP projector life is about 3k to 5k hrs depending on ur luck too (dlp bulb plays a major role).so instead of 1l in tv. 50k for basic ledtv and spend the remaining in projector ( try to get from abroad).

Thanks for your inputs buddy..

Yes , a low end tv for 20 -30k and the rest can be used for a projector . An optoma 141 costs me around 35k .

Yes , a low end tv for 20 -30k and the rest can be used for a projector . An optoma 141 costs me around 35k .

Am still contemplating the idea abt PJ.. Will soon decide.. I watch atleast 3 - 4 movies a week..

Have an update from Sony service, thought to share here..

After not being happy for a few days since the incident, i got the e-mail contact from Sony service center and dropped a mail to the Sony India (service head) explaining the whole scenario and asked them atlest for a depreciated buy back offer as i wasn't convinced spending 40K to replace the panel with just 1 yr warranty..

Promptly got a reply from Sony head office (new Delhi) that someone from the regional office will contact me..

Received call from the Sony service center again.. This time they provided me two options..

Either replace the panel for the existing Tv and get covered for 1 yrs time only (or) exchange my TV for KLV-48W562D - KLV-48W562D : W560D Series : BRAVIA LED TV / LCD TV / HD TV / 4K TV : Sony India and pay 40K with 1 yr warranty.. (MRP is 71K for this TV...) They are offering me 30K as a depricated value for my TV.

I would need to purchase extended warranty of 2 yrs for this tv additionally for 7.5K. So approx i would need to spend 50K for this 48 incher with 3 yrs warranty..

Am not convinced with this offer.. Without exchanging my old TV, i can pick a VU 55inch on Flipkart for 45K or lesser amount with 3 yrs warranty..

Am thinking to let go off my TV in OLX if it fetches a decent value..

Let me know your thoughts..

Normally a single line is due to loose tab bonding of led panel and can be corrected by applying pressure over the tab bond. If you or your friends have some DIY skills you can try opening the panel, recognising the tab bond, pressing on the cable tab at the level of the line and see if it vanishes. If it does you can use double tape etc to maintain the pressure and close the TV.

This way you can get a few years more from the TV till 4k oled becomes mainstream.

Normally a single line is due to loose tab bonding of led panel and can be corrected by applying pressure over the tab bond. If you or your friends have some DIY skills you can try opening the panel, recognising the tab bond, pressing on the cable tab at the level of the line and see if it vanishes. If it does you can use double tape etc to maintain the pressure and close the TV.

This way you can get a few years more from the TV till 4k oled becomes mainstream.

Makes me wonder why the service center guys didn't try this route :mad: Atlest if they tried this, would have known for sure if it is a loose bonding (or) panel issue..

During chennai floods last year, one of my friends relative sony LCD tv was submerged in floods for a day..My friend fixed it back in working condition... Though i couldn't understand technically, all i understood was that he dismantled everything completely and put it back..

Will share this post with him and see if he can try that..but OTOH am scared if it might screw my current condition of the TV.

you can probably take the TV to a ritchie street service centre .. The guy would probably be able to either fix the issue or tell you it would not be possible . It might take an hr max . Only problem is to find parking space .
You might want to look for some technicians who are in the lane who sell used imported audio and video .

A couple of weeks back my LCD monitor was switching off and on continuously.

I thought my monitor has had it. It was bought in 2008 and has been working since without a problem.

But this problem was persisting and I could not solve it as I did not know how to open this monitor. (It is one of those curvy monitors with 2 screws only and a funny latching system.)

Google and youtube zindabad and I figured out how to open it. Found out that the button switches were gone! Went to the local shop, bought the switches for Rs 8/- for 4 switches. Went to another electrical shop for soldering. He charged me Rs 10/-.

So for Rs 18/- and my own effort, I fixed my View Sonic 19 inch monitor.

Elangoas, take a chance and open it up. Who knows it might be just a loose connector or bonding!

Last edited:

Have an update from Sony service, thought to share here..

After not being happy for a few days since the incident, i got the e-mail contact from Sony service center and dropped a mail to the Sony India (service head) explaining the whole scenario and asked them atlest for a depreciated buy back offer as i wasn't convinced spending 40K to replace the panel with just 1 yr warranty..

Promptly got a reply from Sony head office (new Delhi) that someone from the regional office will contact me..

Received call from the Sony service center again.. This time they provided me two options..

Either replace the panel for the existing Tv and get covered for 1 yrs time only (or) exchange my TV for KLV-48W562D - KLV-48W562D : W560D Series : BRAVIA LED TV / LCD TV / HD TV / 4K TV : Sony India and pay 40K with 1 yr warranty.. (MRP is 71K for this TV...) They are offering me 30K as a depricated value for my TV.

I would need to purchase extended warranty of 2 yrs for this tv additionally for 7.5K. So approx i would need to spend 50K for this 48 incher with 3 yrs warranty..

Am not convinced with this offer.. Without exchanging my old TV, i can pick a VU 55inch on Flipkart for 45K or lesser amount with 3 yrs warranty..

Am thinking to let go off my TV in OLX if it fetches a decent value..

Let me know your thoughts..
sony tvs never sell on mrp, go to any sony store & they will slash 10% off mrp without much bargaining, i would suggest go for a brand like VU, its made by hisense that are a famous chineese manufacturer, google them.

sony tvs never sell on mrp, go to any sony store & they will slash 10% off mrp without much bargaining, i would suggest go for a brand like VU, its made by hisense that are a famous chineese manufacturer, google them.

Yeah right..Thx for the suggestion...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back