Sony klv-40v550 or klv-40s550

GKV

I have 3 questions:

(1) SONY KLV-40V550 & KLV-40S550 seems to have identical specifications except for a connectivity (digital media port) option. What is that makes 40V550 around Rs 10K more expensive then the 40S550?

(2) As far as Picture quality is concerned, can I expect exactly the same results from both the models? Are they using same LCD panel and same processing engines?

(3) Can I expect better or equal results from the above models which employ Bravia-3 engine compared to a Sony W-series model having only Bravia 2 engine?

Thanks in advance and a faster reply will be appreciated.

GKV

I have 3 questions:

(1) SONY KLV-40V550 & KLV-40S550 seems to have identical specifications except for a connectivity (digital media port) option. What is that makes 40V550 around Rs 10K more expensive then the 40S550?

(2) As far as Picture quality is concerned, can I expect exactly the same results from both the models? Are they using same LCD panel and same processing engines?

(3) Can I expect better or equal results from the above models which employ Bravia-3 engine compared to a Sony W-series model having only Bravia 2 engine?

GKV

As I'm also a newbie in this forum so cannot suggest you like the experts on the forum...
But when i saw s550 and v550 side by side, they gave me a huge quality difference. Both were fed from a same hd source and the blacks in s550 were not as good as v550 and were even very dull blacks(dont know what to say, like every black above & below the picture were having white clouds all over it)

and let the experts speak

hi
i had the same question in my mind before 2-3 weeks. both are same. V looks better astherically. i thing bravia 2 and 3 are marketing gimmick. i didnt found picture quality differnce on side to side comparison. but in back of mind u thing, as u are paying more something has to be better inside. in a way this V model is recent one so expectedly some new stuff inside (may be some cost cutting under the skin ?)

ultimately i bought V for no specific reason.
for your knowledge i got it in 72500, i bought directly from the dealer at retail sellars rate.

this info is for u to get good bargain.

bye

hi
i had the same question in my mind before 2-3 weeks. both are same. V looks better astherically. i thing bravia 2 and 3 are marketing gimmick. i didnt found picture quality differnce on side to side comparison. but in back of mind u thing, as u are paying more something has to be better inside. in a way this V model is recent one so expectedly some new stuff inside (may be some cost cutting under the skin ?)

for your knowledge i got it in 72500, i bought directly from the dealer at retail sellars rate.

bye

What is your feedback on the same for the various sources, DVD, Set top box DTH , cable etc.

Thanks and Best Regards,

hi

bye

Congratulations! What are your observations? Are you happy with the purchase? Does Tata Sky / SD content look good on it? What's your viewing distance? Do you recommend the SONY 40V550 to others on this forum - mainly to watch SD content or a 42" Plasma (HD Ready) better choice?

I have also been looking at the SONY 40S550 & 40V550. I see, no difference. But just wonder if the Panel in the V550 is of a slightly better quality than the S550??

BTW, also compared the BE2 & BE3 sets side by side. The BE3 certainly shows SD content better than the BE2.

BTW, also compared the BE2 & BE3 sets side by side. The BE3 certainly shows SD content better than the BE2.

So one part is clear.. BE3 performs better than BE2 for SD content. I have seen similar comments in other contexts also. So going for a model having BE3 really makes sense in the current indian scenario of content availability.

Now I am looking for more details on my other questions on selection of V550 or S550 (both having BE3 engine).

well the BE3 does improve the way SD content is shown,as far as the 40S550A i haven't seen them, but from the past S310,S400a/V300A,V400A there was slight difference in PQ like different backlight are used,different factory colors and diifferent LCD panel,different algorithm as to when the dynamic contrast kicks in.but since they use either a AMVA or a SPVA the differences are very small,like black levels u can't see the difference in the naked eye,the SPVA may have a slight edge in black levels ,but u can however see the slight difference in viewing angle where the AMVA have a slight edge.but usualy the V series are better going by the 32V550A(irrespective of FHD) and 32S550A and previous year models,like the V550A for eg preserves more shadow detail then the 32S550A.

but in samsung if u get a tv with (CMO) c panel aka SMVA the viewing angles are the worst,colors look a bit washed out,they also had inferior blacks,but the 2009 panels have improved the black levels significantly and are on par with like of AMVA/SMVA in terms of black level.

I have 3 questions:

GKV

I have been using 40V550 for the last 3 months and can certainly say that SD contents looks better on V as BE 3 does good job of upscaling. As pointed out by others, the deep blacks also looks very good and can't make out if its plasma or lcd.
Looks wise also V is eye catching compare to S. Other thing which I can make out is USB is at side on V. Not sure where it is on S.
Not to mention that I enjoyed IPL throughly on LCD and one can't make out its 100 Hz or 50 Hz. In short - GO FOR IT...;)

40S550A if Full HD

Now that the Full-HD, HD ready information is settled, can the users of the respective units please comment on the SD performance with DTH.

Wil greatly appreciate the feedback on in homer performance of these units.

well the BE3 does improve the way SD content is shown,as far as the 40S550A i haven't seen them, but from the past S310,S400a/V300A,V400A there was slight difference in PQ like different backlight are used,different factory colors and diifferent LCD panel,different algorithm as to when the dynamic contrast kicks in.but since they use either a AMVA or a SPVA the differences are very small,like black levels u can't see the difference in the naked eye,the SPVA may have a slight edge in black levels ,but u can however see the slight difference in viewing angle where the AMVA have a slight edge.but usualy the V series are better going by the 32V550A(irrespective of FHD) and 32S550A and previous year models,like the V550A for eg preserves more shadow detail then the 32S550A.

One doubt..
Are you saying BE3 does not improve SD or it was not happening in 40S550?

Do you think 40V550 is better than 40S550 in terms of picture quality? What type of panel is being used in both these models

One doubt..
Are you saying BE3 does not improve SD or it was not happening in 40S550?

Do you think 40V550 is better than 40S550 in terms of picture quality? What type of panel is being used in both these models

well what i said was BE3 does show improvement in SD ,whether its in a S or V or W series.
but i haven't seen the new 40S550A yet,i have seen the 40V550A.
the 40V550A looks like it has a AMVA panel,since it has wide viewing angles,,its viewing angles are on par with the AMVA found in W450A,better then SPVA panel found in last years W400A and the newer W550A .

Slight off topic.

In Ezone Jayanagar Bangalore, they had the 40 inch 40W550 and the 40V550 side by side. They were both playing the same content which was "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 trailer" in HD. What i noticed was that V was more natural compared to W series. Later when I saw another HD sources showing green grasslands, I still noticed that the grass was more natural in V than W. W is much more expensive than V. Both are BE3. I did not inquire about the prices as i had gone to shop for mini hifi system to Ezone.

Another thing i noticed was salesmen in Ezone, Reliance Digital have no patience. They actually don't care. They act as if they own the bloody store.
Devi's international was the best in regards to Sales guys. They showed genuine interest.

hi

bye

Hi my name is Vijaysingh Humbre & i am planing to buy the same sony TV KLV-40V550. i want to know how do u feel the overall prefomnce of this model & when was this 40V550 was launch. Thanks.

well what i said was BE3 does show improvement in SD ,whether its in a S or V or W series.
but i haven't seen the new 40S550A yet,i have seen the 40V550A.
the 40V550A looks like it has a AMVA panel,since it has wide viewing angles,,its viewing angles are on par with the AMVA found in W450A,better then SPVA panel found in last years W400A and the newer W550A .

When at a showroom, is there anyway to confirm that the SONY 40V550 indeed has the AMVA panel? Would it be printed on the box or behind the TV?

If it is behind the TV, challenge will be, since LCD are wall mounted, kind of difficult to request the sales person to have a look behind the LCD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back