Sony KLV-40W550A - issue with text on screen

wackoid

Hi,

I have a new Sony KLV-40W550A hooked to a Tata Sky STB and while color etc are ok, I notice that I get a haze on text that is displayed. This is expecially true with the score line displayed at the bottom of the screen for cricket matches. The text is readable but has an offset something like its out of focus.
I have tried almost all settings on the TV to no avail in fixing this - any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

well try changing the motion flow settings and the MPEG noise reduction to OFF.also if the sharpness is set to 0,they text will appear a bit blur,so try increasing the sharpness.
also what about the text in other channels.

have set Sharpness to about 10 .. more than that all text becomes edgy. MPEG noise reduction is set to Off and have played around with the motion flow settings ... but a slight blur remains. And its with all channels .. is also visible on the channel logo .. e.g. Colors .. where the logo is not completely clear ! Quite funny actually... and frustrating as hell !

have set Sharpness to about 10 .. more than that all text becomes edgy. MPEG noise reduction is set to Off and have played around with the motion flow settings ... but a slight blur remains. And its with all channels .. is also visible on the channel logo .. e.g. Colors .. where the logo is not completely clear ! Quite funny actually... and frustrating as hell !

well try changing the setting for the optimum quality,what about Advanced contrast enhancer,u can put it to low,if it helps.if the text becomes edgy try reducing the sharpness or add a bit of mpeg noise reduction which i believe helps a bit in reducing the jaggy edges.
but it may be due to poor cables used in ur tata sky connection.

lastly if u are moving from a CRT to a flat screen tv,especialy to a FHD tv,u have to get used to it,since it has to upscale a lot.overtime u fail to notice.

Hmm Sony LCD's, they work like a charm don't they.

This is a general problem that ive seen in many LCD's and only a few brands have got it right and Sony is not one of them.The good news is that u might not notice this that much when time goes by, cause u will get used to it.

Yes, I understand that some bit of a haziness is unavoidable due to the upscaling. And have been able to eradicate most of it by tweaking the settings .. for the rest, I guess as with everything else ... will just get used to it.
And when I go into another room which has a CRT .. feel bad about my FHD LCD TV !:rolleyes:

Thanks for your suggestions, guys !

Yes, I understand that some bit of a haziness is unavoidable due to the upscaling. And have been able to eradicate most of it by tweaking the settings .. for the rest, I guess as with everything else ... will just get used to it.
And when I go into another room which has a CRT .. feel bad about my FHD LCD TV !:rolleyes:

Thanks for your suggestions, guys !

well u can always upgrade the source,since TS is not know for PQ .but since they are probably launching a newer STB u may wan't to stick with them since they still do have the most no of transponders,so once they shift to mpeg4 ,they may have the edge.

anyway other FHD lcds/plasmas out there are more worst in SD,except perhaps the X450A and pioneer plasma.some people here comment with actualy seeing the products:rolleyes:

Last edited:
^X450A has good SD pic quality? you cant be serious.

The pioneer plasma does not have a very good SD pic quality either, although it is the king when it comes to displaying HD.

^X450A has good SD pic quality? you cant be serious.

The pioneer plasma does not have a very good SD pic quality either, although it is the king when it comes to displaying HD.

well among the FHD tvs they do fare better then the rest,even in SD.as far as X450A check the 46" version,with the BE2 pro with DRC-MF v3,still better then the BE3.

^ive seen it, but not sure if it was the 46 or the 50 incher cause it was quite big.

The only LCD's that ive seen which had respectable SD pic quality are a few high end models from Philips, LG and Toshiba.

^ive seen it, but not sure if it was the 46 or the 50 incher cause it was quite big.

The only LCD's that ive seen which had respectable SD pic quality are a few high end models from Philips, LG and Toshiba.

well what more can i say,i found them good,didn't find the LG or even one of the newer toshiba as good as even the BE3 equipped sonys.
there are other reliable sources which again confirms the same,apart from that there are many members in this forum,who find the BE3 better.

Last edited:
well what more can i say,i found them good,didn't find the LG or even one of the newer toshiba as good as even the BE3 equipped sonys.
there are other reliable sources which again confirms the same,apart from that there are many members in this forum,who find the BE3 better.

reliable source is some thing relative.when i was in a multi brand store where they had a lot of lCD's hanging and in one particular section they had all the high end 42" from diff manufacturers including the Sony x series.when me and my friend compared the x series with another 42" next to it we found that the pic was more detailed, better natural colors ,better motion and the skin tone looked better in the other brand in spite of me and my friend trying to adjust the x series like for 20 mins it was very clear to our eyes that the x series lacked so much detail, but when we called the store guy he said Sony looks better and refused accept that the other brand showed much more clear and detailed image.The guy even said that Sony employees make their panel in samsung factory and they don't allow samsung employees to make it, we just laughed and left.

The so called BE thing that Sony has in its tv has always only disappointed me in spite me trying to play around with the setting I found nothing really worthy about it or never felt it really improved the pic in any way.A real videophile who calibrates never depends on these additional features from these so called engines advertised by many manufactures. as far as i know Toshiba, Samsung and Philips ate major chip manufacturers so they definitely have the edge in manufacturing video chips.

even amazing pro LCD maker such as barco only stick with the real hardware specs and technologies and not in some fake pic enhancing Engine algorithm which is claimed to be done using a chip whose spec sheet is not even publicly available.

for starters i feel Sony is way behind in terms of panel cause they still use 10 bit panel while many manufacturers are using 17 bit panels. Its just simple math, more the panel bit more colors it can support and more color variance it can show.

the HP Dream Color monitor and certain displays from NEC are classic examples of how certain companies are really bringing cutting edge tech to the consumers and not just bringing some antique hardware with a fake imaginary image engine.

A big company like Sony exploiting people with their brand name and minting money and not even providing some decent hardware is whats really bothering me.having said that lemme tell you the one product i really felt were Sony delivered was their 24" crt monitor which was very good.

since they are probably launching a newer STB u may wan't to stick with them since they still do have the most no of transponders,so once they shift to mpeg4 ,they may have the edge.

Any more info on this? Are the TATA SKY+ STBs better than the run of the mill units WRT PQ?

reliable source is some thing relative.when i was in a multi brand store where they had a lot of lCD's hanging and in one particular section they had all the high end 42" from diff manufacturers including the Sony x series.when me and my friend compared the x series with another 42" next to it we found that the pic was more detailed, better natural colors ,better motion and the skin tone looked better in the other brand in spite of me and my friend trying to adjust the x series like for 20 mins it was very clear to our eyes that the x series lacked so much detail, but when we called the store guy he said Sony looks better and refused accept that the other brand showed much more clear and detailed image.The guy even said that Sony employees make their panel in samsung factory and they don't allow samsung employees to make it, we just laughed and left.
well sony develops their lcds with samsung,yes its true that sony uses some proprietary tech in the lcds panels,like the backlight and color filters.so its true that samsung officials have no right to have a look at what sony is doing and vice versa,since they own 49% in the S lcd.even AU optronics the supplier for both sony and samsung doesn't share the details of what each other ordered,sony and samsung request the panels with their specifications such as backlight ,color filters.

The so called BE thing that Sony has in its tv has always only disappointed me in spite me trying to play around with the setting I found nothing really worthy about it or never felt it really improved the pic in any way.A real videophile who calibrates never depends on these additional features from these so called engines advertised by many manufactures. as far as i know Toshiba, Samsung and Philips ate major chip manufacturers so they definitely have the edge in manufacturing video chips.
even amazing pro LCD maker such as barco only stick with the real hardware specs and technologies and not in some fake pic enhancing Engine algorithm which is claimed to be done using a chip whose spec sheet is not even publicly available.
well without BE or DNIE or Viera ENGINE or AQUAS engine lcd tvs will be nothing more then big lcd monitors:rolleyes:
while the majority of the civilized people appreciates the newer image processing developments,but there are some who are just plain ignorant,filled with hate,the same people fail to understand that what made the pioneer kuro a great product was not the contrast levels alone but its also because of the realy good image processing.

for starters i feel Sony is way behind in terms of panel cause they still use 10 bit panel while many manufacturers are using 17 bit panels. Its just simple math, more the panel bit more colors it can support and more color variance it can show.
well samsung/sony S lcd,AU optronics,CMO,CPT,LG,sharp etc NONE make panels higher then 10bit natively.only for pro lcd monitors is where they use any higher bit rate

the HP Dream Color monitor and certain displays from NEC are classic examples of how certain companies are really bringing cutting edge tech to the consumers and not just bringing some antique hardware with a fake imaginary image engine.
what as a monitor got to do with tv thread.:p nec is a good the company which used to sell monitors with licenced sony trinitron picture tubes.

A big company like Sony exploiting people with their brand name and minting money and not even providing some decent hardware is whats really bothering me.having said that lemme tell you the one product i really felt were Sony delivered was their 24" crt monitor which was very good.

well i am glad companies like sony are there.they just piss some people off.

can't realy say about ur observations or whatever of the X450A ,for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:
well i am glad companies like sony are there.they just piss some people off.

can't realy say about ur observations or whatever of the X450A ,for the obvious reasons.

Sony does not piss me off but instead it makes me laugh at most of their overpriced products and at the people who buy em.

no matter how hard i try i guess i can never make certain people come to speed in terms of real technology.

Last edited:
Sony does not piss me off but instead it makes me laugh at most of their overpriced products and at the people who buy em.

well thats not the impression one gets when,the majority or a significant amount of urs post have anti sony propaganda .

btw so called BE engine that u say is bad. well here a quote from the review of sony W series with BE3.Sony Bravia KDL-46W5500 46in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews
All too often this causes an LCD screen to suffer all sorts of smeary unpleasantness and judder, yet the 46W5500 kept up with the game's terrifying environment superbly well, keeping things sharp, smooth and clean. In doing so, it made the efforts of the Toshiba 52XV555DB I tested earlier this week look positively amateurish by comparison.

and the toshiba had the resolution+ which is top of the range image processing for 09,with CELL based processor like the one used in PS3.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back