Sony setup ( Laptop -> HDMI->LCD->HDMI-HTIB) - No sound from home theater speakers

sanro

Hello ,

I am trying to connect my laptop to 32" Bravia NX500 using HDMI. I get the picture but there is no sound via home theater ( DAV-DZ810 ) . When changed to , TV speaker works well .

My laptop is Sony Vaio Z series running with win7 64bit ( 1080p , i7 proc,8GB RAM and GE Force GT 330M )

In the playback devices I see Sony TV-1 NVDIA high definitiona )

Could anyone please tell me why sound doesnt come through home theater ?

Thanks

Re: Sony setup ( Laptop -> HDMI->LCD->HDMI-HTIB) - No sound from home theater speaker

Hello ,

I am trying to connect my laptop to 32" Bravia NX500 using HDMI. I get the picture but there is no sound via home theater ( DAV-DZ810 ) . When changed to , TV speaker works well .

My laptop is Sony Vaio Z series running with win7 64bit ( 1080p , i7 proc,8GB RAM and GE Force GT 330M )

In the playback devices I see Sony TV-1 NVDIA high definitiona )

Could anyone please tell me why sound doesnt come through home theater ?

Thanks

I dont think sony has hdmi out from the TV , see if you have a digital or optical coaxial out from tv to your HTIB. Did u try giving Laptop to HTIB -> TV.

Re: Sony setup ( Laptop -> HDMI->LCD->HDMI-HTIB) - No sound from home theater speaker

Hello ,

You mean you don't get audio through DAV-DZ810 speakers when you connect the Laptop to TV via DAV-DZ810, but you get audio through TV speakers when you connect the Laptop directly to TV?

[Q.UOTE=ontherocks;226041]You mean you don't get audio through DAV-DZ810 speakers when you connect the Laptop to TV via DAV-DZ810, but you get audio through TV speakers when you connect the Laptop directly to TV?[/QUOTE]

Yes..

I connect my laptop to LCD using HDMI. DAV-DZ810 is already connected to LCD via HDMI. TATA SKY HD is connected to LCD via HDMI for audio and Optical to DAV-DX810 for audio ( 5.1 ) .

So , when I check all HDMI connections , e.g.

HDMI 1 - for DVD - Works fine
HDMI 2- TV ( tata sky ) works fine.
HDMI 3 - detects laptops and shows proper video. but no sound .
Using TV remote when I change Audio channel to TV speaker, I get sound from tv speaker and not laptop speaker.
Its the same thing when I change from HDMI 3 to HDMI 4

Now , when DAV-DZ810 was setup by sony folks, I remember testing laptop and it was working . I had played Dark night HD and other sound demo videos on youtube. ( that time Tata sky hd was not connected to the system )

Not sure what went wrong.

I dont think sony has hdmi out from the TV , see if you have a digital or optical coaxial out from tv to your HTIB. Did u try giving Laptop to HTIB -> TV.

No , I din't try that .

I think all are HDMI 1.3 & so HT DAV-DZ810 cant get sound from HDMI(audio return)
You have to output audio seperately.If lapy has digital out,add to HT setup & it will work.
Else only stereo sound.

I think all are HDMI 1.3 & so HT DAV-DZ810 cant get sound from HDMI(audio return)
You have to output audio seperately.If lapy has digital out,add to HT setup & it will work.
Else only stereo sound.

Thanks. But as I said earlier , it was working .

DVD player works fine when connected to LCD via HDMI ..
TATA sky also works with connected to LCD via HDMI ( with no optical connected specially for 5.1 )

Similarly , I would expect DVD/Receiver HDMI to receive sound from LCD for the content that is being played on the laptop .

I was wondering if "HDMI Device" not being showed in the playback devices has anything to do with this issue . Currently I see Speaker/realtek and Sony-Tv1 NVDIA High Definition audio only.

It appeares that multiple issues have been reported about missing " HDMI device " from playback devices option .

Does HT system has audio return option?Have you set that?
Did you set your primary sound device as HDMI in Lapy?

Check if you have any audio output from TS STB to Receiver. As earlier suggested, HDMI version 1.3 do not have audio return channel.

Also, let us know the reason for such setup if your Receiver supports HDMI input (or not?). You could connect the optical output of LCD to Receiver as a workaround.

In my desktop motherboard driver CD i remember , a HDMI audio driver exists. So came to know that in order to output audio apart from video i need to install this driver. But since i am using a DVI monitor i havent installed the driver.

So if you were given a driver CD, search for any hdmi audio drivers. Surely it will work out.

Else only stereo sound.

If your DAV-DZ810 is an AVR..AUdio Video Reciever... THEN your setup is wrong... It shd be
Laptop by HDMI>>>DAV-DZ810 >>Single cable to LCD...
(Single Hdmi out is d main concept of AVR)
AND if DAV-DZ810 is not an AVR
then
U wont be able to get audio from DAV-DZ810 as LCDs dont have an HDMI Out and u say tat u hav connected ""LCD->HDMI-HTIB"" which is not possible.... cabling is wrong.. hence if DAV-DZ810 is not an AVR u need to get the audio out from your tv (Stereo) and connect to the DAV-DZ810 with the help of RCA Cables.. (Analog cables)

Hope it helps...

Thanks all ..

@hemant0285

LCD-HT(DAV-DZ810 ( and its not a AVR ) is interconnected using HDMI and its working because that HT is I think ARC capabale and it is set to AUTO mode in HT setup menu.

So , when laptop is connected to LCD using HDMI and in order to get sound through Hometheater another cable would be required that would go from LCD to HT.

for that my option is like you said RCA to RCA ( red and white ) anologe cable which I have now connected to both..but the sound is still not coming through HT . Have made sure that Audio In is selected in HT and Sony-NVidia High definition Audio is selected on the laptop. TV Audio menu option is set to " Audio System" still there is no sound. I would need some help from that Sony guy again who had demoed this stuff to me and that time it had worked perfectly.

Now another question - If and when LCD starts sending sound for laptop to HT using that Red and White cable , it would not be Dolby Digital 5.1 right ? becasue that cable is not capable of transmitting digital audio ?

In that case , what are my options ?

My LCD does not have optical but it has coaxial port. Home theater has optical it has been occupied by Tata SKy HD plus . And there is no coaxial on the home theater back panel.

I wanted to play some full HD content on my laptop alongiwith Digital audio 5.1

You have connected
Laptop(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)TV
TV(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)DAV-DZ810 (although never seen a TV with HDMI OUT)

Why don't you connect
Laptop(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)DAV-DZ810(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)TV ??

What's the problem with the above?

You have connected
Laptop(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)TV
TV(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)DAV-DZ810 (although never seen a TV with HDMI OUT)

Why don't you connect
Laptop(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)DAV-DZ810(HDMI OUT)--HDMI-->(HDMI IN)TV ??

What's the problem with the above?

The problem is DAV-DZ810 has only one HDMI OUT ( no other HDMI ports ) so I had to hook it up to TV's HDMI IN .

I think my laptop is capable of sending high def video and audio ( ? ) over its HDMI out port. ( nvidia GEFORCE 330M )
TV for some reason is not passing out the audio that it receives from Laptop over HDMI .

And yes.. TV has only 4 HDMI INs.

hometheatre will give video only sony HT will not receive audio through TV.. i doubt...

however check in the TV settings for that mode.. if the AUDIO OUT function is available.. if yes then check for options wherein if you can use HDMI for audio out and probably that can work.. however the HT should be in receiving mode..

else as win 7 TAKE SPDIF OUT from your laptop and connect mini optical to tsolink and connect HT to laptop via optical cable and that will work..

win7 auto takes HD drivers.. right click on audio icon in taskbar and click on playback devices.. select the device you want audio out from and set default..

that should solve the problem..

The problem is DAV-DZ810 has only one HDMI OUT ( no other HDMI ports ) so I had to hook it up to TV's HDMI IN .

I think my laptop is capable of sending high def video and audio ( ? ) over its HDMI out port. ( nvidia GEFORCE 330M )
TV for some reason is not passing out the audio that it receives from Laptop over HDMI .

And yes.. TV has only 4 HDMI INs.
Then in that case your TV HAS to support Audio Return Channel to get audio through DAV-DZ810.
Since you said that it worked earlier, I will assume that your TV is HDMI 1.4 and supports Audio Return Channel. (Although generally if a TV supports Audio Return Channel, then the HDMI ports have the letters ARC printed)

Try the following.
It may be that all of the 4 HDMI INs in your TV do not support Audio Return Channel. Only some of them do. If you get audio from DAV-DZ810 with your DVD player, unplug the DVD player's HDMI from the HDMI IN in your TV and plug in the Laptop HDMI in that port.

Since you have the TV manual, only you can confirm if there is any option in the TV menu which says in the lines of "Audio Return Channel" and what other sub options it may have. Try playing with them or mention them here.

If it still doesn't work there may be some setting in the laptop HDMI Audio which you have to enable. Post screenshots of the laptop HDMI audio settings.

Then in that case your TV HAS to support Audio Return Channel to get audio through DAV-DZ810.
Since you said that it worked earlier, I will assume that your TV is HDMI 1.4 and supports Audio Return Channel. (Although generally if a TV supports Audio Return Channel, then the HDMI ports have the letters ARC printed)

Try the following.
It may be that all of the 4 HDMI INs in your TV do not support Audio Return Channel. Only some of them do. If you get audio from DAV-DZ810 with your DVD player, unplug the DVD player's HDMI from the HDMI IN in your TV and plug in the Laptop HDMI in that port.

Since you have the TV manual, only you can confirm if there is any option in the TV menu which says in the lines of "Audio Return Channel" and what other sub options it may have. Try playing with them or mention them here.

If it still doesn't work there may be some setting in the laptop HDMI Audio which you have to enable. Post screenshots of the laptop HDMI audio settings.

Try the following.

- > OK , DAV-810 was connected to the HDMI Port#1 of TV .
I pulled out HDMI from port1 of TV and connected to Port # 3 .
Inserted Audio CD and pressed "One Touch Play " button on Home theater remote. It automatically detected and showed on the screen that DVD player is connected to HDMI 3 and started playing audio. So it worked on Port 1 and Port 3.

I then hooked up Laptop's HDMI cable into Port 1 ( where HT was connected earlier ) of TV. Got the picture but no sound. RCA red and white is already connected to TV and HT.

I then reset the TV ( Press up Arrow on TV remote and pressed power button on TV ) .

When it rebooted , I got the Laptop video on the LCD and also sound. But then that sound was coming from TV speaker . When I checked playback devices on the laptop it was defaulted to Sony-TV nVIDIA High Definition.

Then I accessed Menu of TV and in the audio settings found that TV speaker was selected automatically ( due to hard reset I guess ) . So I changed it to Audio System. Again no audio . I checked playback devices again and found Sony-TV NVIDIA device was selected and that dancing green bar next to it suggest that audio is being sent out to TV ? but cant hear because in the TV settings audio output device is set to "Audio System" . So I guess TV is not actually sending sound over HDMI from Port 1 also whereas that same port1 was working in terms of audio/video when DVD/Receiver was connected to it.

Attaching screenshot of the playback devices list on the laptop. please note that show hidden and disabled items were selected.

I remember reading somewhere that for Sony usually port1 is ARC ready..but I guess thats not true then because in my case ..home theater works when it is connected to Port 3 also.

I will see if manual has any info on this .

Also , attaching screenshot of manual page showing HDMI details ..Dint see ARC anywhere..not even on TV's back and side panel.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo_C9DC5E5C-4D9C-FF7E-A70D-4C2C52DFDFD5.jpg
    Photo_C9DC5E5C-4D9C-FF7E-A70D-4C2C52DFDFD5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

So...now I think I know the rootcause. Cable and connection.

Home theater DAV-DZ810 has two inputs ( audio in and optical in ) . Currently both of them were occupied. Audio IN via RCA cable for laptop and Optical In via optical cable for tata sky HD. When I used to select TV as input source in HT , there was tata sky sound and no laptop. If I remove optical cable , there is a sound from speakers for laptop content. ( that explains why it was working earlier because optical cable is a recent addition for tata sky HD 5.1 audio) ..

another option is ( and this works along with optical cable ) that 3.5 mm headphone audio jack cable from laptop to home theater..

Since its all RCA ( anologue audio) for the laptop content I kinda feeling like crippled because even though I can play full HD movies on the laptop , I wont be getting 5.1 through HT . Wondering if there is any way to get digital audio from laptop either via TV or laptop. TV has coxial but no optical and HT doesnt have coax. Laptop has nothing excep headphone out and hdmi out.

Thanks all who helped on this .

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back