Sony V/s Panasonic

anand81

Hi All,

I am anand and i recently joined this forum. I am about to buy a LCD / Plasma TV and i need your help. Please find below the details

1. My budget is max 35000 and i would like to go for a japanese brand only
2. My usage includes movies on DVD,Tata sky (watching sports and movie channels) and playing my Xbox occasionally
3. Viewing distance is 8-10 feet

I am confused between the following brands
a. Sony 32" LCD - BX 300 (Non HD)- Rs 31900
b. Panasonic 32" LCD - L32S10 (Full HD) - Rs 34000
c. Panasonic 42" Inch Plasma - P42C10D- Rs 35000

My concern is plasma is not bought by many these days and the technology may fade away in few years. Also it consumes more electricity is what i have heard. However 42 inches on the wall is just awesome. It looks way better than any 32 inch TV.

Panasonic 32" LCD full HD S10 looks the best option but then again the concern that panasonic is not so good in LCD as in plasma. Also Full HD in 32" dosent make any sense as put across by many. I dont even have a blue ray disc player as of now.

I am inclined towards sony 32 Non HD but am not sure. it says WXGA 1366 *768 and dosent say HD Ready 1366 x 768 like some of the other tv companies. Does it mean the same

Please advice if i would do the best thing by buying a sony or should i look at Panasonic considering the scalability (Full HD may be a norm tommorow).

Also how is the service and reliability of panasonic in india. I havent ever bought a panasonic product.

Regards,
Anand

Go for Plasma. You will enjoy the picture quality. The Pana 42C10 is not FHD(its 1,024 x 768). At 32" Full HD wont matter a lot considering your viewing distance. The usual criteria is - go for full HD if 40" or larger, else an HD Ready is ok for 37" or smaller sizes.

Also the Pana 42c10 can be had for less than 35K if you bargain harder !

No comments on Pana's service as I dont own any product from them. But they have been advertising a lot lately...so I guess they are serious about selling their stuff.

Thanks falcon.

So between a non HD LCD 32" and Non HD plasma 42 " you would advice me to go for the Plasma.

But why dont manufacturers sell Plasma as much if its so good. My fear is that i may buy one and then everyone may stop selling it in the near future. In which case i would find it difficult to service later.

I beleive you mean HD Ready when you say non HD. Assuming that I would say yes for a 42" HD Ready plasma.

Regarding why dont manufacturers sell plasma - am not sure about this, but I beleive they are making a lot of profit from LCDs. In the early days of LCD manufacturing, as much as 40% of the panels were defective. so people who bought LCDs in those days had to pay for that 40%wastage. Plants now have efficiency of more than 90% - but the prices are still much higher for a smilarly sized LCD as compared to a plasma. so they must be making good money out of it.

Everyone was thinking plasma is dead...but Panasonic(I am in no way associated with the compnay) has recently introduced new models for this year in India too. so they are not really dead. If they are selling it then they will have to service it tomorrow. Manufacturers always make sure they have parts avalable for some time even after the production stops. There are many people buying Plasmas out here in this forum...so you are not alone remember. Maybe u never need to service it, maybe you need to - but might become rich enuf to dump it and get a new one...who knows ! Please dont sound pessimistic...Lyf is short go ahead and enjoy it !

Thanks falcon.

But why dont manufacturers sell Plasma as much if its so good. My fear is that i may buy one and then everyone may stop selling it in the near future. In which case i would find it difficult to service later.

The simple reason is consumers prefer lcds,don't forget lcds are way more expensive in large sizes,yet outsell plasmas.

My budget is max 35000 and i would like to go for a japanese brand only
2. My usage includes movies on DVD,Tata sky (watching sports and movie channels) and playing my Xbox occasionally

This is actually a very easy choice to make. Without any doubt whatsoever, the Panasonic 42" P42C10D is by far the best choice and value for money.

However 42 inches on the wall is just awesome. It looks way better than any 32 inch TV.
From a distance of 8-10 feet it is beyond the human eye's ability to differentitate between HD-Ready (1366x768) and Full-HD (1920x1080). Actually, for all practical purposes, HD-Ready and Full-HD will give you the same results in any TV less than 50", ie. from a normal viewing distance of 8-10 feet.
However 42 inches on the wall is just awesome. It looks way better than any 32 inch TV.
You are absolutely right, the extra 10 inches do add a great deal to the overall TV viewing experience.
it says WXGA 1366 *768 and dosent say HD Ready 1366 x 768 like some of the other tv companies. Does it mean the same
Yes, it means the same. Full-HD is a term used to describe 1920x1080 resolution. Anything less than Full-HD but more han 1280x720 resolution is referred to as HD-Ready. Quite a stupid usage of the term if you ask me, but that's what you get when you have overzealous marketing people making these decisions instead of the technical team.
My concern is plasma is not bought by many these days and the technology may fade away in few years. Also it consumes more electricity is what i have heard.
First of all, how does it matter even if they do stop making plasmas some day? It's not like you r TV will stop working just because they decided to stop making them. Secondly, and I suppose more importantly, unlike what most TV salesman might have you believe, Plasmas have actually increased their market share the last two years. Thus, I assure you Plasma TVs will be around for a while. Specially considering that the latest technology of 3D TV seems to be far easier and superior to implement on Plasma TVs.
Please advice if i would do the best thing by buying a sony or should i look at Panasonic considering the scalability (Full HD may be a norm tommorow).
Irespective of what the norm may be tomorrow, it is not going to matter in TVs of these sizes.
Also it consumes more electricity is what i have heard.
Yes, that is one of the things in which LCDs do outshine Plasmas. But, I seriously don't think the difference in consumption is large enough to warrant a decision against a Plasma just for this reason.

+1 Sanjay0864 suggestion.

Go for Panasonic. You can bargain and get it for a bit less..... Pretty sure you will be happy .

Kittu

You can get those 32" sony lcds for a whole lot cheaper if you buy them in the grey market or ebay.in
check out these deals in ebay on sony lcds 32" BX300 costs 23.7k shipped a bit cheaper in grey. eBay India: Brand New Sony Bravia BX300 32" LCD TV +Dealer Warranty (item 150455809435 end time 23-Jun-2010 08:00:00 IST)

EX300 costs 28k shipped again a bit cheaper in grey eBay India: Brand New Sony Bravia BX300 32" LCD TV +Dealer Warranty (item 150455809435 end time 23-Jun-2010 08:00:00 IST)

And if you do want a bigger lcd the 40" BX400 costs 41k again a bit cheaper in grey eBay India: Sony 40 inch LCD TV BX400 with 1 year Dealer warranty (item 250651546244 end time 23-Jun-2010 08:30:00 IST)

thanks guys. I called the brand shop and they dont have the panasonic 42" P42C10D. :sad:

Only E zone has it which is selling it for Rs 38500. It seems the model is discontinued since 6 months. Ezone had bought a huge stock and is now selling it cheap.

Any of you guys know where else it will be available for less than 35000 in mumbai.

thanks guys. I called the brand shop and they dont have the panasonic 42" P42C10D. :sad:

Only E zone has it which is selling it for Rs 38500. It seems the model is discontinued since 6 months. Ezone had bought a huge stock and is now selling it cheap.

Any of you guys know where else it will be available for less than 35000 in mumbai.

Wher in Mumbai r u ?

@ Anand

Andheri is good place to hunt for your plasma. visit local dealers...they usually bring down their prices after bargaining. Try Snehanjali,Kohinoor, Alfa plus small local dealers. Go for cash payment, that will bring down the cost. Let me know the lowest quote they give you.

All these big retail showrooms do look nice...but they are pricey as well!

Snehanjali Electronics & Appliances Ltd
3 Annapurna Building, Andheri (West)), Mumbai, Maharashtra 400058

There is one Kohinoor opposite Infinity mall....but I believe it is a hotel.

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum newly, I need a suggestion to buy SONY 40EX400 LCD TV in Gray Market (Burma Bazaar). In Sony World the rate is 60K but in Burma bazaar its only 44K. One of my colleague father has shop in Burma Bazaar and I am planning to buy with his reference.
Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. I finally went for the Sony BX 300 32 Inch HD ready TV :)

Thanks for all the inputs. I felt bad not buying the panasonic to be very honest. My wife wanted Sony and said that if you wanna buy a 42 Inch then buy the Sony 42 inch which was costing a bomb. Around 54 K.

We felt that Sony looks more premium when someone comes to our house. So while my heart wanted a panasonic and i knew it was better i went for a Sony. I have used a Sony for 14 years and that was also at the back of my head.

All said and done i am having post purchase dissonance and i have been seeing images of panasonic all day. Guess sometimes you gotto comply with what family memebers want :)

A big thank you to all for helping me out ...

Should i buy Panasonic HD-Ready plasma 2010 (A20/X20)or Sony BX400/Ex400 for watching from a distance of around 10ft(Both 42 and 40inches respectively)

Should i buy Panasonic HD-Ready plasma 2010 (A20/X20)or Sony BX400/Ex400 for watching from a distance of around 10ft(Both 42 and 40inches respectively)

A20 / X20 the only difference I found is Clear Sound. Not sure if that really makes a difference. For value I would suggest the X20.

BX400 / EX400 difference is also not much. BX does not swivel should that be an issue for you. Looks differ too and boils down to personal taste. I suggest the EX400 series or if you can stretch budget go for the very good EX500 series.

At 40-42" HD ready or full HD should not matter much (but again most LCDs are full HD nowadays).

Panasonic plasma will be much cheaper than the Sony LCD. Plasma require extra care while handling and initial usage.

Also consider your viewing enviornment and angles.

If you have made up your mind I would suggest the X20 (over A20) or EX400 (over BX400). For the extra 2" and value go with X20.

Visit a store and see what you like. Make sure you adjust the settings as stores usually run on vivid mode.

Let us know how it goes. Happy shopping.

Last edited:
Buy the Panasonic A20 or X20. From 10 feet and on a 40" TV, you can't tell the difference between Full HD & HD Ready anyhow. Get the extra 2" on the Plasma and enjoy.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back