Soundproofing around the door frame

johnnyaud

What would be a cost effective way to soundproof the small gap between door and the frame?
I've seen a few varieties and new help choosing - rubber strips, silicone strips or fur strips.
I would appreciate any link to specific products.

What would be a cost effective way to soundproof the small gap between door and the frame?
I've seen a few varieties and new help choosing - rubber strips, silicone strips or fur strips.
I would appreciate any link to specific products.
Hi @johnnyaud

Below is a link to some door seal types. Some are also available on amazon if you search for "door seals" or "window seals"

I had tried the drop down seals which come with their aluminium housing, but they have to be exact size to work, so could'nt use them. So best to stick with seal type door isolators above.

Hi @johnnyaud

Below is a link to some door seal types. Some are also available on amazon if you search for "door seals" or "window seals"

I had tried the drop down seals which come with their aluminium housing, but they have to be exact size to work, so could'nt use them. So best to stick with seal type door isolators above.
They seems a bit too pricey tbh for a 2.5m roll. Lack of images doesn't help either.

Are the wool seals no good? They seem to be the cheapest but I don't think they would be much success. The sliding window in my room has those but it leaks sound (probably the gap where both windows meet)
There's also the seals from mtacoustix but they have bad reviews on Amazon.

About the drop down seals. I have ordered some pvc one from Amazon the other day. I've used them as insect stoppers and they were good enough but I'll try the adhesive door bottoms to see if those help.

They seems a bit too pricey tbh for a 2.5m roll. Lack of images doesn't help either.

Are the wool seals no good? They seem to be the cheapest but I don't think they would be much success. The sliding window in my room has those but it leaks sound (probably the gap where both windows meet)
There's also the seals from mtacoustix but they have bad reviews on Amazon.

About the drop down seals. I have ordered some pvc one from Amazon the other day. I've used them as insect stoppers and they were good enough but I'll try the adhesive door bottoms to see if those help.
To be honest any rubber gasket that can achieve an air tight seal would do. The trouble is the non uniform clearance between the frame and the door at various locations. Hence, we need something that is compressable to accommodate this variation. So anything impervious and compressable should do, and please do let me know whatever you end up with. Even i need to do up my doors and a sliding PVC window that open into a children's play area, and its a real racket most evenings.

To be honest any rubber gasket that can achieve an air tight seal would do. The trouble is the non uniform clearance between the frame and the door at various locations. Hence, we need something that is compressable to accommodate this variation. So anything impervious and compressable should do, and please do let me know whatever you end up with. Even i need to do up my doors and a sliding PVC window that open into a children's play area, and its a real racket most evenings.
I've ordered the cloudbuyer weather stripping from Amazon. It seems to have better reviews that mtacoustix but I'll let you know after I install it. My main door will be fine with it since it has less gaps, altho I suspect it will make closing the door harder. My other plywood door would be trouble since it has quite a big gap.

For the door bottoms, I had already ordered the pvc ones from Amazon. I also ordered those silicon/rubber drop downs (with 3m tape) for the aluminum door I've at home since they open outwards and the pvc door stopper only hugs it.

I've ordered the cloudbuyer weather stripping from Amazon. It seems to have better reviews that mtacoustix but I'll let you know after I install it. My main door will be fine with it since it has less gaps, altho I suspect it will make closing the door harder. My other plywood door would be trouble since it has quite a big gap.

For the door bottoms, I had already ordered the pvc ones from Amazon. I also ordered those silicon/rubber drop downs (with 3m tape) for the aluminum door I've at home since they open outwards and the pvc door stopper only hugs it.
Thanks for sharing the above...Will await your feedback on how your good selves find them from both a practicality and effectiveness perspective :)

I have tried the one from mmtacoustics. Its good but not perfect. I think once you move away from the sealing of the gap around the frame, you realise the frame itself may not be good enough compared to the solid wall of the rest of the room.

Ideally it would be great to have another door opening outwards so there is then an air gap between the two doors also helps in the sound proofing and probably with a much thicker door.

I got mine today. Now not able to close door properly.
They are too thick to directly put in between the hinge. Try them on the door corners that face the door instead of hinge so that only half of it goes in and makes a seal.

But yeah, they do make a seal but I've yet to test it completely. (My wooden door has joints where sounds leak so I'll test it on a flush door)
Also the latch ring @Yelamanchili manohar mentioned would be an awesome addition to further ensure the door stays shut on top.

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_143035.jpg
    IMG_20240312_143035.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240312_143053.jpg
    IMG_20240312_143053.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 32
This trick worked, but still, I had to add the seal on only two sides of the door. Not sure of soundproofing but it helped in reducing door rattle completely during bass-heavy movie scenes.
They come with really bad adhesion. Mine tends to come loose on the corners. You can also try using double without splitting the ends. Or one on either side.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back