source switcher

wingryder

Hi,everyone .so i have multiple sources for audio like pc,tv set,ipod etc and only one speaker set(creative 5.1). so is it possible to
1) have an elegant and safe(for the equipment ofcourse) way to switch between these sources

2) and if possible to achieve approximately uniform sound effect (this is a secondary goal though)

so far as my limited knowledge goes the only way to achieve this is to pair an equalizer with an AV receiver,but that goes far beyond my budget of about 10k

any cost effective alternatives please

I assume that all your devices have are stereo outputs and since you havent mentioned the creative model I am assuming the input to that is also stereo

What can work for you is one of these, AV Switchers

There are different variations on ebay, I am posting a few cheap ones

MX / TUSCAN Brand?3 Port Stereo AV Splitter Switch?With 3 Pin RCA Cable?+1Yr | eBay
$T2eC16hHJF8E9nnC9csdBP8Dn1vcK!~~60_12.JPG

4 Way port RCA AV VIDEO GAME SELECTOR SWITCH PS2 xBox | eBay
$(KGrHqYOKo8E3tCHLBq(BN8uTfS,Dg~~_12.JPG

4 Way Port RCA AV AUDIO VIDEO GAME SELECTOR SWITCH PS2 XBOX 4PORT | eBay
$(KGrHqF,!l8E-i)77ViMBQCV-8ChSg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!rkE+rFMMKyVBQCV-9NJZQ~~60_12.JPG

yep the ipod,tape deck are stereo.but the pc(one of the sources) outputs 5.1 .the speaker set is the common creative inspire t6100,a 5.1 unit.it receives input by means of three 3.5 mm jacks for the front,rear,centre+sub channels.(for plugging into a sound card).btw i dont have a credit card which rules out ebay and amazon.

yep the ipod,tape deck are stereo.but the pc(one of the sources) outputs 5.1 .the speaker set is the common creative inspire t6100,a 5.1 unit.it receives input by means of three 3.5 mm jacks for the front,rear,centre+sub channels.(for plugging into a sound card).btw i dont have a credit card which rules out ebay and amazon.

There is also a 3.5 male to 2 RCA male cable available on ebay. If you are inputting stereo from the AV selector to creative then you should connect the stereo output via the above cable to the front (left+right) inputs on creative.

If you want virtual 5.1 out of stereo input then you have to see if in the creative control panel of PC there is any such setting

And on ebay you can also pay via netbanking and cash on delivery (some selected sellers preferably in the same city as buyer). Also all these cables / AV Switch should be available in local shops as well, just show them the pics or explain to them your requirements

I use this

SW-5719.jpg

Key Features:
4-in, 1-out switcher - Component video, digital coaxial, digital optical, analog audio
Control via AutoSelect automatic input switching or manual front panel button
Built-in cross-conversion of digital audio

Hi. I have a slightly different requirement. Have two amps but one pair of speakers.
Any suggestions for speaker level switching device? Or any DIY ideas?

There is a thread in which a forum member assembled a speaker selector switch for around 700 bucks. Search the DIY forum. These are available commercially, but I don't remember the exact website from which to order.

Audio Planet in Bangalore has a source switcher available for 3xxx k. I was told that this was for people who want to save on a 2nd set of speakers for a stereo setup.
When in stereo mode only the front speakers play and when you watch movies you switch to 5.1.

Haven't had a chance to look at it as yet. Anyone knows of a cheaper source switcher available for running a stereo setup from the same front channel used for a 5.1?

You can try this

which is remote controlled
MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

or the manual one

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

Regarding the Setup :
---------------------
1. Feed the normal iPOD and tape outs into the input selector using normal 3.5mm to RCA
2. For the Sound out from the PC sound card, use another 3.5mm to RCA for the front 2 channels alone and feed the input selector. The reset of the surround inputs leave as-it-is in the creative 5.1 spk system (But you have to make sure when other sources are being selected the PC is off)
3. Next from the Selector switch out, use direct RCA pair, if your creative 5.1 spk system accepts RCA or use another RCA to 3.5mm jack.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers,
Vince

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back