speaker recommendation for acoustically transparent screen

ashug987

I am going to put the 150" diagonal acoustically transparent screen in a 13'x22' room. looking for the recommendations for the speakers.

initially I was looking for the Polk Rti A9, Csi A6 and Fxi A6 (when I wasn't considering the acoustically transparent screen).

Would appreciate if folks can share their recommendation.

For the screen, shortlisting on the Grandview 150" curved screen. Please provide input on that as well.

I am located in Hyderabad. Any dealer/installer recommendation would be appreciated as well.

@ashug987 I use the Polks RTI A9's and I am really happy with them both for music and HT.. You need to have good amplification to really get the best out of these speakers

@ashug987 I use the Polks RTI A9's and I am really happy with them both for music and HT.. You need to have good amplification to really get the best out of these speakers
Slightly off-topic, will you please tell me, which amp do you use to drive RTI A9?

@Amitkg Acurus A250 250 wpc & acurus L10 pre if its music

and Dennon 3312 + Emotiva XPA 5 for HT

Last edited:

Thanks Olly42. Are you using these behind the screen? or on the side?

Jamo D600 could be considered. Can be wall mounted. Ditto with Sonodyne SRT series powered speakers - they could be considered.

Why would a speaker have to be specially designed for an acoustically transparent screen ? The screen is "acoustically transparent" as in " it doesn't exist " as far as the sound goes ! If it did anything to the sound, then it isn't acoustically transparent !
You might as well buy whatever speaker you want ! Advantage is, you could buy a speaker with a large baffle and it wouldn't matter aesthetically as you can't see it ! Alternatively you could buy any ugly looking speaker ( or at least looks you don't like ) but with great sound and it would work out fine .

Few reasons i can think of -
1. May need to be of slim profile given that majority of cases space could be restricted behind the screen. Also might need to be wall mounted.
2. Could go for the best functioning speakers without caring for how they look or how big they are. Ex: most center speakers are placed horizontally because they can obstruct the screen - many studies have been published with respect to dispersion of such speakers. You could probably put identical LCR (even towers) behind a screen as it won't obstruct the view.

I am going to put the 150" diagonal acoustically transparent screen in a 13'x22' room. looking for the recommendations for the speakers.

initially I was looking for the Polk Rti A9, Csi A6 and Fxi A6 (when I wasn't considering the acoustically transparent screen).

Would appreciate if folks can share their recommendation.

For the screen, shortlisting on the Grandview 150" curved screen. Please provide input on that as well.

I am located in Hyderabad. Any dealer/installer recommendation would be appreciated as well.

Is the room dedicated/finished or is it a new project... can you post a few pics for us?

share some info about:

* details of the projector... planning to buy or you already posses one?
* aspect ratio of the image you want to project... any reason for not opting for full room width screen...
* space available behind the screen...
* are you planning to go anamorphic... if not, why curved screen? I would think that most HT projectors sold within the last 2-3 years would have been designed to project on a flat surface...
* how far back is your seating and how did you figure the curve of your screen?
* electronics/Amplification to power the spkrs...
* what is the scope/nature of work you want the dealer/ installer to execute?

I know its lot of questions,:eek: but will definitely help us guide you better.

Last edited:
Why would a speaker have to be specially designed for an acoustically transparent screen ? The screen is "acoustically transparent" as in " it doesn't exist " as far as the sound goes ! If it did anything to the sound, then it isn't acoustically transparent !
You might as well buy whatever speaker you want ! Advantage is, you could buy a speaker with a large baffle and it wouldn't matter aesthetically as you can't see it ! Alternatively you could buy any ugly looking speaker ( or at least looks you don't like ) but with great sound and it would work out fine .

Yes, that's what I would think so as well. The Polk's are beautiful, and I am hoping I can get something which is good and may not be good looking (as I might be paying the premium for the good looks). That's why looking for some good recommendation.

At the same time keeping the speaker behind the screen means the screen will be covering the space in the room, which will be dependent upon the speaker depth. The Polks's have~2Ft depth, so that's the another reason I am looking for some good alternative with not so much depth but with similar or better performance.

Few reasons i can think of -
1. May need to be of slim profile given that majority of cases space could be restricted behind the screen. Also might need to be wall mounted.
2. Could go for the best functioning speakers without caring for how they look or how big they are. Ex: most center speakers are placed horizontally because they can obstruct the screen - many studies have been published with respect to dispersion of such speakers. You could probably put identical LCR (even towers) behind a screen as it won't obstruct the view.

Sash has already captured all of these in his post :). Thanks Sash.

Please recommend

Last edited:
Is the room dedicated/finished or is it a new project... can you post a few pics for us?

share some info about:

* details of the projector... planning to buy or you already posses one?
BenQ HT1085ST. Just bought recently for this project.

* aspect ratio of the image you want to project... any reason for not opting for full room width screen...
16:9. Yes wanted to go for the full room width screen. The ceiling is down at the side of screen (8'5"), because of the AC vent. If I cover the full screen, I need to go for the custom screen. Right?

* space available behind the screen...
Want to minimize it to keep it in the room itself.
* are you planning to go anamorphic... if not, why curved screen? I would think that most HT projectors sold within the last 2-3 years would have been designed to project on a flat surface...
I think, it doesn't matter. Any projector should be able to project on the curved screen with 16:9. Is that not true?
* how far back is your seating and how did you figure the curve of your screen?
Probably the front seat with be at 10' and then therafter.
I am planning to go with the standard curved one.
* electronics/Amplification to power the spkrs...
I have Onkyo 805. No plan to upgrade it yet or add extra amplification. May invest in it later.
* what is the scope/nature of work you want the dealer/ installer to execute?
Combination of both. I have the carpenter finalized for the acoustic things.
I know its lot of questions,:eek: but will definitely help us guide you better.
Thanks again for your help upfront!! Really appreciated.

Looking for something in the consumer grade.

The home versions were altec's 14 and 19, as well as some of the others, however. Altec 15's etc etc. But an econowave style speaker 2 or 3 way could be an option.

Also an open baffle style low profile - like a carver amazing takes up a lot less room. I've got a spot in my house that seems tailor made for a carver amazing.

Cool.
Srinath.

bubbling up this thread to get answers. Hydrovac: I have replied to your question, please let me know if you need any other information.

Back