Speakers for Onkyo 508 in area of 23'x11' double height

venom

Hey guys,

sorry for starting a new thread but the other one has become misleading so i decided to start a new thread.

Now, I have the following,
1. Optoma HD20
2. Sony BDP-S570
3. Xbox 360 S

I've almost fixed the Onkyo 508 as my receiver since onkyo is suggested for movies.

Now i need help with the speakers. I need a 5.1 system. One shot buy.

My room is my hall.. it's double height, 23'x 29'.
Marble Floor although, most of the viewing area is covered by a carpet..

Out of this area, I'm using 23'x11' as the viewing area.

Now i need suggestions on the speakers or if i need to change my avr that as well..

Budget: 70k including avr.

Choices:
1. HK HTKS 20 - official 49k
2. Sonodyne 5.1
3. Onkyo HT-S5300
4. 508 + HT-SKS728
5. Wharfedale Moviestar 70+

or maybe i can go for Sonodyne V2 2605+ C2401+ Wharfe 9.2 + Roarr 210?

Also, AVMAX Nov 2010 issue has given AV Award of HT System to Onkyo 576+ Pure Acoustics Supernova 5.1 for 55k! What do you think of this? Has anyone tried it? Where can i audition these?

what do you think?

Now, the Sonodyne system has dipole rears which are useless for me as I have no wall on one side.

7.1 will be impossible as there is wall on 3 sides only.

Need a good 5.1 system preferably with floor standers.

What do i do? Please help!

Also, it'll be great if you can tell me where i can audition these systems in
bombay as i'll be coming for 2 days.

What will be the best combination?

My usage will be as follows,

40% HD movies
30% gaming
20% TS HD
10% music

I'll probably need pretty large speakers and I'm super confused about which ones to get in the rear.

I know i'll have to make the final decision but a push in the right direction would be most welcome!!

I hope i've given all the requisite info for you to help me out.

Also, my brother is bringing everything from the US on the 30th so i need everything set up by then. Please help me out here!!

I won't be available for the next 2 days as i have exams till the 21st but i'm leaving on the 22nd to come to Mumbai.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks..

Sorry for the messed up unorganised post!! :p

Venom, do not start multiple threads on the same topic. If you feel a thread has gone wrong somewhere, write to us and we can delete the thread.

Cheers

First choose the speakers not the AVR ... What all brands that you can audition(available) in your area ? Or you are planning to get the speakers from abroad too?

First choose the speakers not the AVR ... What all brands that you can audition(available) in your area ? Or you are planning to get the speakers from abroad too?

well I'm going to go to mumbai day after tomorrow. I will be auditioning for 2 days and then finalising.

I need help choosing the speakers!! As can be seen i'm extremely confused!! Which of the above set ups would you recommend?

How is Pure Acoustics? has anyone tried them?

Also.. I have a pretty big room so i assume i'll need floor standers in the front?

My hall's complete dimensions are 23'x29'x16'. Height is approximate.

will be able to audition at profx, jbl, lakozy(Def tech 600), deisgner audio, sonodyne and savoy.

Any other places in bombay where i should go? and if so which brands?

well I'm going to go to mumbai day after tomorrow. I will be auditioning for 2 days and then finalising.

I need help choosing the speakers!! As can be seen i'm extremely confused!! Which of the above set ups would you recommend?

Mumbai you can audition many brands.. I'd say seperate the budget for speakers from your total budget and also decide if you wanna go for 5.1 or 2.1 setup to start with.

The room size is pretty big so you may need FS in the front.
Also what kind of music you listen to?
Music:Movie ratio?

Contact Lakozy and The Shop for auditioning .Try audition as many brands as you can.Do not forget to carry your CDs/music in different formats ..

Your budget is very tight, and there is no sense in auditioning too many product, many of which you might like but find too expensive. Shortlist a few products that can fit withing your budget and restrict your auditioning to those.

I would say allocate some 40K for an AVR and 30K for speakers. At this price, you should look at Mission, Wharfedale, and maybe Sub/sat systems from the like of Canton, Energy and others. If you are not averse to Indian products, see of you can audition Lithos speakers.

Cheers

Mumbai you can audition many brands.. I'd say seperate the budget for speakers from your total budget and also decide if you wanna go for 5.1 or 2.1 setup to start with.

The room size is pretty big so you may need FS in the front.
Also what kind of music you listen to?
Music:Movie ratio?

Contact Lakozy and The Shop for auditioning .Try audition as many brands as you can.Do not forget to carry your CDs/music in different formats ..

I intend to get 5.1. My actual usage area is 23'x11'x16'. And yes I'm going straight for 5.1 as movies and gaming are priority. Music will be minimum to none.

maybe 5-10% music. rest all gaming via xbox and blu ray movies via BDP-S570. and maybe some TS HD.

Where is The Shop? can you give me the address?

Your budget is very tight, and there is no sense in auditioning too many product, many of which you might like but find too expensive. Shortlist a few products that can fit withing your budget and restrict your auditioning to those.

I would say allocate some 40K for an AVR and 30K for speakers. At this price, you should look at Mission, Wharfedale, and maybe Sub/sat systems from the like of Canton, Energy and others. If you are not averse to Indian products, see of you can audition Lithos speakers.

Cheers

Hmm.. i agree.. I was thinking of setting 25k aside for the AVR and the rest spend on speakers.

Trying to form some combos before i leave..

What do you think of this setup:

1xPSW110+ 2x tsi 300+ 2x Tsi 100+ CS 10? comes to around 54k. Add the 508 comes to 80k. maybe i'll be able to stretch. Maybe not..

But here's the price list i got from the Sonodyne guys.. Is this price right? how much do i bargain?

1. Sonus 2605 - 13500x2 = 27000/-
2. Sonus c 2401 - 6000x1 = 6000/-
3. genie2 - 6500x2 = 13000/-
4. Roarr210 - 17250x1 = 17250/-
TOTAL = 63250.00/-

Here we also like to inform you that we have many other option to mix and match the home theatre system on less price.
We will be highly oblged if you kindly come to our listening room to see many other option we have. However, i am sending you another
one option for your refrence.

1. Sonus 2504 - 9500x2 = 19000/-
4. Roarr108 - 17250x1 = 14000/-
5. Yamaha Rxv367 - 22000x1 = 22000/-

TOTAL = 74000.00/-

I don't think these are fair prices! How much do i bargain for?

I intend to get 5.1. My actual usage area is 23'x11'x16'. And yes I'm going straight for 5.1 as movies and gaming are priority. Music will be minimum to none.

maybe 5-10% music. rest all gaming via xbox and blu ray movies via BDP-S570. and maybe some TS HD.

Where is The Shop? can you give me the address?

Hmm.. i agree.. I was thinking of setting 25k aside for the AVR and the rest spend on speakers.

Trying to form some combos before i leave..

What do you think of this setup:

1xPSW110+ 2x tsi 300+ 2x Tsi 100+ CS 10? comes to around 54k. Add the 508 comes to 80k. maybe i'll be able to stretch. Maybe not..

But here's the price list i got from the Sonodyne guys.. Is this price right? how much do i bargain?

1. Sonus 2605 - 13500x2 = 27000/-
4. Roarr210 - 17250x1 = 17250/-
TOTAL = 63250.00/-

Here we also like to inform you that we have many other option to mix and match the home theatre system on less price.
We will be highly oblged if you kindly come to our listening room to see many other option we have. However, i am sending you another
one option for your refrence.

1. Sonus 2504 - 9500x2 = 19000/-
4. Roarr108 - 17250x1 = 14000/-
5. Yamaha Rxv367 - 22000x1 = 22000/-

TOTAL = 74000.00/-

I don't think these are fair prices! How much do i bargain for?

I was quoted 26ks for Sonus 2605, and Im sure he'll give some more discounts. Should be around 24ks.

I was quoted 26ks for Sonus 2605, and Im sure he'll give some more discounts. Should be around 24ks.

hmm... rahulj.. can you tell me how you compare the JBL HK system to the Onkyo?

Which HK Speakers did they have? I heard the HKTS 20 are pretty good.. And what about Polks? I mean what about the combo i'd stated previously?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back