Speed Post India - Worst postal service i have ever encountered

Hari Iyer

My wife had applied for a hard copy "Aadhar Card" as its useful to have one in addition to soft copy. There was a tracking id (who cares about this - not me) and it mentioned the package was delivered at 2:48PM. But in reality there was no package delivered at my home. Later now at 8:45PM i discovered that the package was given at the main gate security personal. If that's how important a offical government document is. The security left the document at the office room carelessly not feeling its important. Agreed its not important any individual in this world - but is a most important document for my wife and family. If the postman in India Post is very busy / lazy / or have lots of work - i have a suggestion to make to the Government of India - Please shut down operations and we shall find someone reliable to do business. Mr.Modi are you listening..... wondering.

India Post is the worlds largest postal network with close to 95% connectivity across India. It has been doing yeoman service to the nation and has been the only connectivity for rural India for decades.
Its rates are very cheap and inspite of drop in recruitment over the years, its staff members, especially the foot soldiers which include many women have been tirelessly working to deliver letters, documents and parcels to the remotest corners of the country.
For our brave jawans patrolling the borders, India posr has been the only soccour to communicate with the families thousands of miles away before the mobile revolution.
Postcards. telegrams carrying very cheerful or sorrowful information still remain as memorablias in many families.
India Post has successfully delivered crores of Aadhaar cards across the country and one isolated incident does not prove anything or call for a thread to shame the employees of the biggest network in the world.

I personally use Speedpost, registered post and other postal services and the quality has been top notch most of the time. Yes glitches are there everywhere.
If I have had good experience with private operators like DTDC, Professional, Blue Dart etc...I have also had bad experience with them. It is bound to happen and last mile problem exists everywhere.

India Post is the worlds largest postal network with close to 95% connectivity across India. It has been doing yeoman service to the nation and has been the only connectivity for rural India for decades.
Its rates are very cheap and inspite of drop in recruitment over the years, its staff members, especially the foot soldiers which include many women have been tirelessly working to deliver letters, documents and parcels to the remotest corners of the country.
For our brave jawans patrolling the borders, India posr has been the only soccour to communicate with the families thousands of miles away before the mobile revolution.
Postcards. telegrams carrying very cheerful or sorrowful information still remain as memorablias in many families.
India Post has successfully delivered crores of Aadhaar cards across the country and one isolated incident does not prove anything or call for a thread to shame the employees of the biggest network in the world.

I personally use Speedpost, registered post and other postal services and the quality has been top notch most of the time. Yes glitches are there everywhere.
If I have had good experience with private operators like DTDC, Professional, Blue Dart etc...I have also had bad experience with them. It is bound to happen and last mile problem exists everywhere.
It doesn't matter to me if delivers outstanding services elsewhere, but as far as I am concerned it's zero service. If this is the state of affairs in Mumbai, only God help the rest of the country. Btw, it's not an isolated incidence. They are known to do this in my area always. The postman is too lazy to deliver.

Can’t like this post enough.
During natural calamities (cyclones , heavy downpour etc ) when all the private courier services throw up their hands and make a mockery of ETAs with continued hold ups , India Post has made deliveries honouring ETAs for me and for many others I know.

I don’t even understand what the OP is complaining about. From where is the privilege coming ?
Was the Adhar Card lost ? No. Was it not delivered on premise ? No
In gated complexes it’s a common practice to leave a document with the security personnel in charge of the complex. Big deal !

As I see it , instead of bitching about India Post , OP needs to have a talk with his own complex security personnel.

There was a tracking id (who cares about this - not me)
You don't care about the one ID which is used to track a parcel? I am not sure who is lazy here. India Post has one of the most detailed tracking information I have seen. Maybe you can go through it now and see the exact movement of the parcel.

This bashing is uncalled for in my opinion.

MaSh

While in college in late 80's when the Indian Postal system was the only recourse I never missed any letter or money order or DD sent my by parents, aunt or other. Later working in very remote locations never missed any letters from home. When working abroad all letters sent by our postal system reached me.

Hundreds of letters exchanged with my wife prior to our wedding and after that too when I was in Dubai and she in India.

Being NRI often used to get documents sent through India Post without fail and on time while those sent by Aramex used to reach "aaram se". I told that courier guy to change it's name even.

ASA Pens from Chennai, sent two consignments to me when in India one by India Post and another by DTDC. DTDC parcel arrived at Cochin, languished there for two days before they delivered and just in time before I left to the airport to leave to Abu Dhabi. 2 days to move 15km to my house. India Post delivered 4 days before DTDC!!! All further orders on ASA I asked them to use India Post only. No qualms whatsoever.

Stop bashing India Post for the lapse of your security guard. Ask him instead.

Oh, better don't. May be he'd bash you in some dark spot of the community if you asked him about it.

Hari, I kind of agree with you. It doesn't matter if India Post is the bees knees - if you have not got the service you think you are entitled to from them, you have every right to feel aggrieved - and it doesn't matter what others have experienced from their services; all that matters is your experience, good or bad. I have had mostly wonderful experiences with India Post and our postmen but projecting my good experiences onto your experience does not make your experience good and doesn't excuse/achieve anything.
If you are not satisfied then you should complain but this forum is hardly the place to vent about India Post - it is futile. Complain to your local post office if you feel so strongly about this and feel that they were deficient. They don't work for free; cheap maybe but not free and they are not doing us a favor. Also have a word with the postman - I have known some postmen in the past who were complete ass wipes but I don't stand for any of their nonsense and tell them off if I feel that they are messing with me - no matter how many letters they may have delivered for "humare jawans jo borders pe lad rahe hai..." and no matter how better they are than courier companies. Wrong is wrong.

Last edited:
My wife had applied for a hard copy "Aadhar Card" as its useful to have one in addition to soft copy. There was a tracking id (who cares about this - not me) and it mentioned the package was delivered at 2:48PM. But in reality there was no package delivered at my home. Later now at 8:45PM i discovered that the package was given at the main gate security personal. If that's how important a offical government document is. The security left the document at the office room carelessly not feeling its important. Agreed its not important any individual in this world - but is a most important document for my wife and family. If the postman in India Post is very busy / lazy / or have lots of work - i have a suggestion to make to the Government of India - Please shut down operations and we shall find someone reliable to do business. Mr.Modi are you listening..... wondering.
Sir, this must be a one off incident. Generally in my experience the postal service has been really good for the price they charge. Passports have always been delivered without any issues by speedpost else I am sure most of us here would have faced that problem. Even now I see the postmen/women working very hard as there is a post office close to my place. Important documents have been delivered without any issues by speedpost. I can't say the same about private couriers who charge a lot.
I guess sometimes it is better to give them the benefit of the doubt.
The good part is, at least you got the Aadhar and it was not lost in transit.

Passports have always been delivered without any issues by speedpost
Last month the postman [not our "regular" guy] delivered my daughters passport. After handing it over to me, he waited back looking at my face. I asked him if he wanted something. He asked me for "bakshish". When I asked why he thought he deserved a "bakshish" - he stupidly replied "passport". I told him that I'd give him his "bakshish" because that amount would not have mattered much to my wallet but he would have to listen to me rant. He shamelessly said "OK". I blasted him for asking and then gave him his "bakshish". Wanted so much to kick him down the stairs as he left.

Last month the postman [not our "regular" guy] delivered my daughters passport. After handing it over to me, he waited back looking at my face. I asked him if he wanted something. He asked me for "bakshish". When I asked why he thought he deserved a "bakshish" - he stupidly replied "passport". I told him that I'd give him his "bakshish" because that amount would not have mattered much to my wallet but he would have to listen to me rant. He shamelessly said "OK". I blasted him and then gave him his "bakshish". Wanted so much to kick him down the stairs as he left.
I too had received my daughter's passport in March but I did not face this issue. I am not supporting the Bakshish expectation which is definitely wrong as any service should be done without any expectations.
But a private courier would have definitely charged a lot. Luckily in our area the postal people are very nice. The surprising part is, if I offer him something, he does not take it and has a lot of self-respect which is admirable.
But like you have said, my good experience may not nullify someone else's bad experience which is understandable.

Last edited:
Sir, this must be a one off incident. Generally in my experience the postal service has been really good for the price they charge. Passports have always been delivered without any issues by speedpost else I am sure most of us here would have faced that problem. Even now I see the postmen/women working very hard as there is a post office close to my place. Important documents have been delivered without any issues by speedpost. I can't say the same about private couriers who charge a lot.
I guess sometimes it is better to give them the benefit of the doubt.
The good part is, at least you got the Aadhar and it was not lost in transit.
I have not faced any issues with speed post for passport delivery. Maybe the passport office have instructed them to deliver personally. But i have faced issues with imported drivers and even expensive drivers, output transformers etc were delivered at security gate. Atleast I can excuse them for that as they are heavy items to carry, but Aadhar card hardly weigh 50 grams and is as important as a passport. It's plain laziness and nothing else. Having lot of work and fewer delivery guys are not an excuse for not delivering atleast important documents. Post #2 mentions of excellent service at remote place. But unfortunately if speed post has excellent service at " "Jhumri Thallaya" then how does that matter to me as I don't stay there.

I have not faced any issues with speed post for passport delivery. Maybe the passport office have instructed them to deliver personally. But i have faced issues with imported drivers and even expensive drivers, output transformers etc were delivered at security gate. Atleast I can excuse them for that as they are heavy items to carry, but Aadhar card hardly weigh 50 grams and is as important as a passport. It's plain laziness and nothing else. Having lot of work and fewer delivery guys are not an excuse for not delivering atleast important documents. Post #2 mentions of excellent service at remote place. But unfortunately if speed post has excellent service at " "Jhumri Thallaya" then how does that matter to me as I don't stay there.
An error must have happened in your case. I am not saying it is right. But in the end it has safely reached you. Actually the tracking no. is very helpful and in my opinion very useful even if you choose not to use it.

Our postal service is like heaven compared to Mtnl.

Passports, bank cards, PAN cards etc.are like "classified" documents. Our (wife and mine) bank cards, PAN were returned since we had left to Abu Dhabi before they arrived at our apartment in India. They were not given to the watchman. The senders have instructed not to.

Passports too need to be given to the holder personally. AFAIK, Indian passport should be send only by India Post. That is Indian Passport rules.

Here in UAE too Indian Embassy insist us to present a slip they give when applying and an official ID issued by UAE to receive it from the local post they use to deliver it. It is at the doorstep.

If Aadhar authority have not specified that it should be given to the addressee, can we blame that postman?

My Apple mouse died long back , still waiting for an attachment I ordered in 2015 that is supposed to make it more comfortable to use. Sent by US Postal Service :cool::cool:

Personally have had good and bad experiences with India post..but then had the same with USPS, French Poste and DTDC ! Have had relatively expensive stuff posted from japan via speedpost being received without an issue and of course all passport renewal, Aaadhar changes etc have come via india post with no issue

As in any service I guess there is bound to be some issues. eg some months back a pack of LPs did not get to me but due to the status shown in the tracking system went to the local Post office and thankfully they tracked it down despite that office being one big mess

Completely agree with you there, just like every other Govt or municipal service it too has its issues a lot of it is also cultural. We cant as a majority behave Indians ( and Collective Chalta hai which breaks across all demographics...) and expect german efficiency out of a few :)

You don't care about the one ID which is used to track a parcel? I am not sure who is lazy here. India Post has one of the most detailed tracking information I have seen. Maybe you can go through it now and see the exact movement of the parcel.

This bashing is uncalled for in my opinion.

MaSh
I recollect in late 80s when i started my career, there were no tracking service available, but any consignment from New Delhi to Mumbai would reach us within 16 hours. Actually there was no need to track as the efficiency was highest.

But currently with all digital systems and track facility more importance is given to these fancy tools and less to actual delivery performance. Now it takes atleast 48 hrs to deliver from New Delhi to Mumbai for reason best known to them.

I do not understand why the deficiencies of other postal services or courier companies are quoted in cases like this. Is this supposed to smoothen the shortcomings of India Post and are we supposed to excuse and overlook India Posts deficiencies because of this?
If someone can quote an India Post rule saying what Hari is complaining about is excusable then that makes total sense not otherwise.
Should we tolerate SBI staff behaviour towards their customers because the services of Bank of Azerbaijan are worse? Or should we do so because SBI are the bankers to the Armed Forces? Should we drink sub standard liquor from Mohan Meakin because they supply Old Monk to the CSD? I find this reasoning extremely weird!

Last edited:
I do not understand why the deficiencies of other postal services or courier companies are quoted in cases like this. Is this supposed to smoothen the shortcomings of India Post and are we supposed to excuse and overlook India Posts deficiencies because of this?
If someone can quote an India Post rule saying this is excusable then that makes total sense not otherwise.
Should we tolerate SBI staff behaviour towards their customers because the services of Bank of Azerbaijan are worse? Or should we do so because SBI are the bankers to the Armed Forces? Should we drink sub standard liquor from Mohan Meakin because they supply Old Monk to the CSD? I find this reasoning extremely weird!
We shouldn’t. In fact we should blame the Indian Railways if my help misses the train and arrives late , blame the RBI when someone passes me a soiled 10 Rupee note , blame the Education board when my great grandson fails his 8th standard twice in a row , because it IS very logical and not weird at all.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back