Speed Post India - Worst postal service i have ever encountered

Nationalism is part of our culture and nothing right or wrong with that. As per FM @Hiten post the EMS speedpost should have been delivered at home. But what i find ironical about the patriotism is - if we don't point out the wrong doings, then the postman like these get encouragement because of huge support for this kind of behaviour. This kind of encouragement should stop - like not delivered - is ok, but telling others that you have not delivered - is wrong.
You could have pinned the blame on to that one postman. Not on the entire India posts. Difference is apparant in the replies.

You could have pinned the blame on to that one postman. Not on the entire India posts. Difference is apparant in the replies.
I can share only about my own experience and not speak for others . The thread title is very clear on that aspect. It's my worst experience. Read again.

I can share only about my own experience and not speak for others . The thread title is very clear on that aspect. It's my worst experience. Read again.
Ok I guess you were misunderstood due to the punctuation format in your sentence, due to space constraints in thread header. But i still agree with what Kannan said. I am not encouraging the staff for their mistakes but their reach and delivery standards are commendable. To empathise with you, i clearly am annoyed with the post man concerned. He should value consignment deliveries to the right party. Especially on id cards or documents.

edit(after reading your op): In your post you also mention about "India posts to shut its operations for their service delivery standards failing". This probably got the rage going in this thread based on your original post's concluding statements. Modi ji is no genie in a bottle either to expect a resolution right away.

Last edited:
You are wrong here again. There is no protocol like this in my complex. All food deliveries, all couriers ( other than speedpost), all grocery is delivered at my door. I think the postman must be following the pandemic protocol even today. The government must have asked them not to deliver at home due to covid-19. They forgot to put an end date to this and our smart postman taking advantage :)-
I have simply exhorted you to establish facts about delivery protocols at your place which you have done hence we now get the correct picture! Since everything gets delivered directly to you, the postmen are still stuck in the pandemic protocol rut. This is sheer indolence for which they need to be pulled up.

Just sharing my latest experience:
Blue dart, a supposedly premium courier service, took about 5 days (May 21- 26) to deliver a single page letter from Delhi to Chennai! Their excuse: my phone number was incorrect.

Just sharing my latest experience:
Blue dart, a supposedly premium courier service, took about 5 days (May 21- 26) to deliver a single page letter from Delhi to Chennai! Their excuse: my phone number was incorrect.
When there is a shortage of delivery boys or are overwhelmed with deliveries, they use the excuse of “incorrect address/address not found” or “Consignee’s phone is not reachable/ unresponsive”.

Inexcusable? Perhaps.
Annoying? Definitely.
Prime Minister should look into this? Well…

Last edited:
When there is a shortage of delivery boys or are overwhelmed with deliveries, they use the excuse of “incorrect address/address not found” or “Consignee’s phone is not reachable”.

Inexcusable? Perhaps.
Annoying? Definitely.
Prime Minister should look into this? Well…
Shortage of delivery boys: way to solve unemployment problem?
Overwhelmed with deliveries: Infrastructure improvement?
Phone not reachable: 2g/3g/4g/5g not working?

Definitely the PM should do something!!!😁😁😁

(PS: India is huge diverse difficult country to manage and I have huge respect for all the prime ministers in this millennium - above remarks meant just for fun)

Paid Rs 50 for printing and delivery of a PVC card and still complaining about a successfully delivery sounds a bit streched. Bluedart quoted me Rs 900 for a parcel which Speedpost delivered in 2 days for Rs 125, about 2500 kms away.

There's a cost for everything. If the postman has to spend time at security and apartment lift for each delivery, then the department's losses will be a few Rs 1000 crores more than what it is now, which taxpayers like you and me have to cough up.

Paid Rs 50 for printing and delivery of a PVC card and still complaining about a successfully delivery sounds a bit streched. Bluedart quoted me Rs 900 for a parcel which Speedpost delivered in 2 days for Rs 125, about 2500 kms away.

There's a cost for everything. If the postman has to spend time at security and apartment lift for each delivery, then the department's losses will be a few Rs 1000 crores more than what it is now, which taxpayers like you and me have to cough up.
99%+ delivery of speed post are not delivered at home and only at the security gate. Is it too much to expect 3% of important deliveries like Aadhar card, PAN card etc at home?. Even registered letters are not delivered at home anymore.

We are in India for a short leave. My wife wanted some traditional sarees and she asked a shop in the city some 15kms away if he could deliver to us. He promptly sent some pictures on Whatsapp, wife liked a few and ordered them on Monday. We did not want to go the city due to rise in COVID cases here.

The shop keeper sent the sarees by India Post on Monday afternoon. On tracking the parcel reached our town on Tuesday morning it was "Out for Delivery". The day is over no sign of the parcel. Again tracking " Not Delivered Addressee not located"!!! What??!!!

Went over to the local PO on Wednesday and they said parcels are delivered by the Head PO of the town. It was "Out for Delivery" .. Day is nearly over, sun is setting, wife lost all hopes. Again tracking showed "Not Delivered Addressee not located". Oh. no not again... I have to change my opinion on India Post.. Wife had to say to her parents they were right. It was better to go to the shop and get the items.

Wait, wait, wait......

I asked my wife which phone number she gave the shop. She said she called the shop owner from her Indian mobile number and expected him to note this number. I smelt something wrong. It was 6:30 or so in the evening. The door bell rang, the building security was at the door with a package... India Post delivered it.

And, I grabbed the packet and checked. The phone number on it was wife's UAE phone number!!! The shop owner had used the phone number of her Whatsapp instead of noting the number from her call over phone!!! Yet, India Post traced the place and delivered it..

Yes, these days in apartments they don't come up to our flat. COVID restrictions plus security issues. No courier is allowed in our building. Even today two India Post parcels promptly delivered to the security guard.

We are in India for a short leave. My wife wanted some traditional sarees and she asked a shop in the city some 15kms away if he could deliver to us. He promptly sent some pictures on Whatsapp, wife liked a few and ordered them on Monday. We did not want to go the city due to rise in COVID cases here.

The shop keeper sent the sarees by India Post on Monday afternoon. On tracking the parcel reached our town on Tuesday morning it was "Out for Delivery". The day is over no sign of the parcel. Again tracking " Not Delivered Addressee not located"!!! What??!!!

Went over to the local PO on Wednesday and they said parcels are delivered by the Head PO of the town. It was "Out for Delivery" .. Day is nearly over, sun is setting, wife lost all hopes. Again tracking showed "Not Delivered Addressee not located". Oh. no not again... I have to change my opinion on India Post.. Wife had to say to her parents they were right. It was better to go to the shop and get the items.

Wait, wait, wait......

I asked my wife which phone number she gave the shop. She said she called the shop owner from her Indian mobile number and expected him to note this number. I smelt something wrong. It was 6:30 or so in the evening. The door bell rang, the building security was at the door with a package... India Post delivered it.

And, I grabbed the packet and checked. The phone number on it was wife's UAE phone number!!! The shop owner had used the phone number of her Whatsapp instead of noting the number from her call over phone!!! Yet, India Post traced the place and delivered it..

Yes, these days in apartments they don't come up to our flat. COVID restrictions plus security issues. No courier is allowed in our building. Even today two India Post parcels promptly delivered to the security guard.
But why couldn’t they deliver first day itself ? Your address couldn’t be located ? India Post is not known for calling on mobile numbers at least in Kolkata.

But why couldn’t they deliver first day itself ? Your address couldn’t be located ? India Post is not known for calling on mobile numbers at least in Kolkata.
Not sure why.

For the package that came in today, we got a SMS in the morning it was out for delivery and also the postman's name mentioned.

For the subject package in the success story, they must have tried the SMS and perhaps it failed to deliver to UAE number. The sender had not written "+" or "00" before the UAE country code "971" so it might have resulted in some error and PO put that remark.

I'd go with India post any day over couriers. Purely on the basis of the % of bad incidents I have had with each of them over the years.
I have had some real howlers with couriers. One highly reputed courier handed over my replacement cheque book to the building security (though the bank had clear instructions that it should be personally handed over). The security guy forged my signature and presented a cheque for a few lakhs. Thankfully, my account didn't have that balance, so it bounced. Yes, the bank passed the cheque for clearing without signature verification - the forgery looked nothing like mine. 😂
Another sent an urgent consignment to agartala instead of mangalore. Took us 3 weeks to trace it because even they didn't know where it was.
Many incidents. Of course, India post has goofed up too, but less often and less spectacularly.

Wait, wait, wait......

What has the phone number (reachable or not) got to do with tracing your address? If the address is correct they will deliver. Am I missing something? Also, the SMS message is not sent by a human - it's automated, so again, there's no connection between the undelivered SMS and the tracking status.

1. My experience is that speedpost postmen call on mobile if no is mentioned on package, in case we are not at home.
2. As far as I know, for societies where no lift is there, postmen have a guideline upto which floor they will climb up (i remember its from mumbai).
3. Telegrams/registry is to be delivered to the addressee/authorized person only.
4. Systems & Procedures of Post are very well established and are generally not violable except for very few crooked men who can be exceptions at best. OP episode doesnt fall in this category.
5. Despite being cheap, IndiaPost is one of the best Govt service in India.

What has the phone number (reachable or not) got to do with tracing your address? If the address is correct they will deliver. Am I missing something? Also, the SMS message is not sent by a human - it's automated, so again, there's no connection between the undelivered SMS and the tracking status.
You may be right that SMS is system generated and the perhaps they got the SMS was undeliverable. This shop owner had not prefixed the number with + or 00. And the whole number runs to 12 digits. 9715..... Anyways was expecting some goof up with other two packets but they came in with no hitch. Got SMS too on the phone numbers we gave to senders.

Ha..... Delhivery is another specimen of the hallowed couriers.

Three days now several packets are in their delivery centre. Not delivered. The office is some 4 kms from my flat. Still everyday when we track it shows it arrived only this morning!!! They keep fudging the arrival dates of the packages to hide their inability to deliver. It took 3 days to reach from North India and three days cooling their heels in the delivery point...

No phone number to contact too...

Ha..... Delhivery is another specimen of the hallowed couriers.

Three days now several packets are in their delivery centre. Not delivered. The office is some 4 kms from my flat. Still everyday when we track it shows it arrived only this morning!!! They keep fudging the arrival dates of the packages to hide their inability to deliver. It took 3 days to reach from North India and three days cooling their heels in the delivery point...

No phone number to contact too...
All of these private couriers play these games. Their fast delivery is also a farce. I have seen the DTDC courier arriving simultaneously, regardless of whether it is being shipped via Air or Road. You end up paying three times more for Air shipment, with no added benefit whatsoever.

India post has its negetive and as said before the worst is expecting bakshish.

But i am still prefering them due to a recent incident.
A private coruier lost my parcel. I can understand it does happen but in my case the pickup agent lost it on the way after collecting parcel from me which is ridiculous.
The said company to save money makes the pickup guy take lots of parcels on a bike and even bigger ones (10 kg+) instead of sending a van
So in all probability my parcel fell down and pickup guy did not realise it.
After this they make him only call and tell me parcel is lost and if i ask for claim it will be deducted from his salary where as it's clearly mentioned that parcels are insured upto value of rs 5000 but we need to declare the value.
So am vary to send anything above of value of rs 5000.

Took me seven days to just acknowledge that parcel is lost.

The discussed courier is xpressbees

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back