Spotted-Samsung's B750 and LG's LH90

Gfreeman

Finally finally after 2 months of loafing around managed to get a look at the b750 in Bangalore this weekend
Saw a 40 incher at the Rajajinagar Samsung shop. But they were least interested in me buying that one. They were playing some poor horrible feed into the B750 while the LEDs were being fed a superior source. Really could not make out anything of the picture quality. Even motion settings were badly set. The people at the showroom were not cooperative at all.
When asked to change the source the guy bluntly started reducing picture sharpness and instantly started promoting the LED TV quite to our irritation.

Also saw the LG LH90 backlit LED TV at a Rajajinagar showroom. According to them the unit should be available in another 15 days. We could not however test or observe much as we were getting late.

This weekend had a look at the LG LH90 in LG showroom. They did not have any HD source connected to it, as it may have just come in and they were still setting it up?? Played a couple of DVDs. Looked good, but really could not tell any major difference between the LH90 [LED], LH50 & Scarlet 2.0, all 42". Did not spend too much time though. However, at first thought, I think the Samsung edge lit LEDs look brighter. Unless of course, the LH90 unit had not been cranked up to highest contrast & brightness as they usually do in the showroom.

Not much difference in performance with LED,only improoved Black levels with decreased Brightness.
I saw advt in NP today,LG launched LH90 & Jazz with 200Hz & 1ms response time with lot contrast ratio with HDMI DVDP + 50 DVDs free...

The LG TV was poorly calibrated. Even motion settings were bad. I was watching a trailer of Revenge of the Fallen and could make out plenty of blur and also at times a video like effect
Even the B750 at the Samsung showroom was poorly calibrated. There was a strong video like effect on it as well.

Last edited:
in LG with 200Hz , blur is present, shopkeeper said LG is better for 200Hz,but when looked at it,I pointed out motion blurr...

the LG doesn't have a True 200hz but psuedo 100hz+LED backlight blinking,compared to the samsung B750 which has a doubles the number of frames a 100hz tv is capable off.
the only other tv in indian market that has 200hz is the sony Z450A and newer Z550A.the X450A also has psuedo 100hz + LED backlight blinking.
from my own observations comparing sony Z450A and X450A ,the Z450A is tad sharper then the X450A.offcourse overall the X450A is still better due to superior contrast,image processing and colors.

Last edited:
I've yet to see a B750 in a shop. The usual suspects (Girias, Unilet etc) in Indiranagar area, Bangalore don't even seem to stock B650s although the Unilet chap claimed that he could get either model in a day.

Samsung seems determined to drive away LCD customers. Time to start saving for a Sony!

I've yet to see a B750 in a shop. The usual suspects (Girias, Unilet etc) in Indiranagar area, Bangalore don't even seem to stock B650s although the Unilet chap claimed that he could get either model in a day.

Samsung seems determined to drive away LCD customers. Time to start saving for a Sony!

I saw the LH90 at a friend's place. Used settings from CNET's review to calibrate.. holy hell.. this TV has a large number of picture adjustment settings.THX settings are absent though. Looked beautiful.. tested with BRs of Watchmen and I Am Legend. Very,very good..kicks my Philips in the behind, and 95% as good as a Pioneer PDP428XD I had the pleasure of demoing a year ago.
Damn good for 68k.. Sony and Samsung should be ashamed of the prices they're quoting for their LED backlit TVs!

Last edited:
I saw the LH90 at a friend's place. Used settings from CNET's review to calibrate.. holy hell.. this TV has a large number of picture adjustment settings.THX settings are absent though. Looked beautiful.. tested with BRs of Watchmen and I Am Legend. Very,very good..kicks my Philips in the behind, and 95% as good as a Pioneer PDP428XD I had the pleasure of demoing a year ago.
Damn good for 68k.. Sony and Samsung should be ashamed of the prices they're quoting for their LED backlit TVs!

can u confirm it has a thx and local dimming.:)

about the prices of sony and samsung.well the samsung and lg are assembled in india and is only taxed at 5% for the lcd panels.where as the sony is taxed at around 35%,since it is a direct import from thailand and some models like X series from Malayasia.
but the samsung are surely milking money.

@ TecHead..

68K for 42 inch is wonderful price...fantastic..
I got a quote of 73K...

Are you guys from Mumbai????

Even i am planning to get the same LED TV ...but in 47 inch...
I liked the POP...plus the 3D ish image...
How did you find the SD performance of LH 90... for me it was quite decent...
Skin tone look decent..minimum/ no blurr...

Let me know your opinion...

do you by any chance have a softcopy of the manual. Are you sure you have same set of calibration as in the US model?

I had a chance to do side by side comparison of LH90 vs PQ60 plasma (and there was one LCD too, I think it was LH70. not sure though since I was not interested in that one anyway).

On SD content, (Airtel DTH), LH90 looks much better than the other LCD, but the plasma still looks slightly better and more natural. Even the sales person (who was interested in me buying LH90) had to agree to this.

He played a DVD too. There also plasma has slight edge.

Compared to the other LCD, LH90 was showing accurate/natural colors.

So, as of now, I am still tilting towards buying plasma (PQ60 or PQ70).

I am watching this thread closely in the mean time, to see whether more observations/opinions are there on LH90.

Its confirmed. THX and IRE Callibration not there in LG 42LH90QR. Price Reliance Digital Vashi, Navi Mumbai 69900/- with Gitanjali Diamond Jewelry worth Rs 20,000/- free. This was the offer on Last Sunday. Assuming the real price of Jewelry @ 50% i.e. 10,000/- it was a great deal. Interestingly the salesman(seemed Knowledgeble) at Croma adviced me purchase it for SD viewing. For HD viewing he himself was considering Panasonic G-10 as better option than LG.

Its confirmed. THX and IRE Callibration not there in LG 42LH90QR. Price Reliance Digital Vashi, Navi Mumbai 69900/- with Gitanjali Diamond Jewelry worth Rs 20,000/- free. This was the offer on Last Sunday. Assuming the real price of Jewelry @ 50% i.e. 10,000/- it was a great deal. Interestingly the salesman(seemed Knowledgeble) at Croma adviced me purchase it for SD viewing. For HD viewing he himself was considering Panasonic G-10 as better option than LG.

That's not too bad, is it? The ISF option.. how many ISF certified calibrators are there in India anyway? The backlighting seems to be the same as that on the US TVs. THX - again, a gimmick IMO.

Thanks Sandip. That does sound like a fantastic deal.

With respect to the absence of IRE calibration, could you please confirm what exactly is missing. The picture modes for LH90 as mentioned on LG India website include Expert 1 and Expert 2.

As per CNET, "Those Expert modes, which bear the logo and the input of the Imaging Science Foundation, offer a passel of additional controls. Our favorite, first introduced by LG last year and still exclusive to the company, is a 10-point white-balance system that can really help get a more accurate grayscale. The company upped the ante for 2009, adding the capability to target a 2.2 gamma, internal test patterns, and even color filters for blue-only, green-only, and red-only to help set color balance. A full color management system is also on-tap, and we love the capability to apply Expert settings to all inputs or just one at a time. Of course, most of these settings will appeal only to pro calibrators and HDTV geeks, but either way, LG's 2009 models offer the most complete suite of user-menu picture adjustments we've seen on any HDTV to date."

Could you please confirm which of these additional controls under the Expert mode are missing?

Could you please confirm which of these additional controls under the Expert mode are missing?
Went to Chroma again today. (It is very near my workplace) The following additional settings wrt settings available on CNET under the Expert Mode are missing.
Method
Pattern
IRE
Luminance
The CNET review says
The LH90 series includes a THX picture preset not available on lower-end models, which supposedly offers improved accuracy. Unlike THX on Panasonic TVs like the TC-PV10 series, THX on the LG cannot be adjusted at all.
I could not find any THX preset on the menu. The price quoted was 72000/-

Went to Chroma again today. (It is very near my workplace) The following additional settings wrt settings available on CNET under the Expert Mode are missing.
Method
Pattern
IRE
Luminance
The CNET review says

Do you think it is worth to buy this TV without these settings? This TV has good connectivity options unlike samsung. Price is very competitive. I was quoted 79000 for 47 inches by Adhiswar this is without bargaining. Somebody mentioned that this is avaliable for 75000 Rs.

Could anyone in Mumbai please let me know what prices you have been quoted for 47LH90 or 42LH90? I could not find it at the Sumaria / Vijay Sales in Mahim.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back