Step Down Tranformer for AV Receiver

Pilham

Hi,

I have just bought an AV receiver from the US, model is Marantz 6005. The manual says that the consumption is 650 Watts. I will plug the Energy take classic 5.1 speakers. Also, the subwoofer requires 120 V - 60Hz 1.0A.

What step down transformer(s) should I buy for the AV receiver and the subwoofer please? I'd like to buy one from here but not sure which one:
Step Down Transformer | Step UP Transformer | Step UP/Down Voltage Transformer | Step Down Converter | Step UP Converter | Step UP/Down Voltage Converter

Thanks,

I thought we faced this issue only in India!! Why did you have to pick it from US, when you could have got a 220v version in Australia?

The 650W is on standby. What you should calculate is the max power when all channels are driven. That will work out to 770W. Multiply this by 1.5 to get the minimum capacity of the step down. So what you should be looking at is a 1200W transformer. Though I am not sure what those types are, the types 'B' and 'D;' look safe? :):) Go for the 1500W step downs.

Cheers

^^650W on standby?:eek:

Ooops Sorry. :eek:

What it is says is this:

Power Consumption:650W (Standby: 0.2W, CEC Standby: 3W)

The standby power consumption is 0.2 W or 3W depending upon which standards you follow.

In any case, for calculation, we have to use the full power which is 110 watts into 7 channels.

Cheers

In any case, for calculation, we have to use the full power which is 110 watts into 7 channels.
Cheers

Consuming 650 Watts to produce 770 Watts ? something wrong here for given type of audio amplifier.

Regards

Consuming 650 Watts to produce 770 Watts ? something wrong here for given type of audio amplifier.

Regards

It is a very rare AV receiver that will produce full rated power into all 7 channels. Usually the manufacturers play with the power ratings and on the test bench most Receivers meet their rated power into 1 or 2 channels and usually with all channels they may meet 60-70% rating. So if you consider 60% of 770 watts it works out to approx. 460 watts or at 70% 540 watts. So in this case 650 watts consumption seems fine and it is almost certain that this receiver will never achieve its stated power with all channels driven.

Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Ooops Sorry. :eek:

What it is says is this:

Power Consumption:650W (Standby: 0.2W, CEC Standby: 3W)

The standby power consumption is 0.2 W or 3W depending upon which standards you follow.

Cheers

@Venakat,

So any AVR that produces power to all channels have to be summed up to calculate the consumption of AVR? or the one which is in user manual?
In my case, Yamaha 465 has 105x5=525 W. So my AVR consumption is 525W?
and I should use 525x1.5= ~787 W stepdown transformer?

Plz clarify?

Siva

So any AVR that produces power to all channels have to be summed up to calculate the consumption of AVR? or the one which is in user manual? In my case, Yamaha 465 has 105x5=525 W. So my AVR consumption is 525W? and I should use 525x1.5= ~787 W stepdown transformer? Plz clarify?

As Sidvee said, the instance of all channels working at full power is very rare. if you look at the specs, they will usually say something like '105 watts, 2 channels driven'. When they mention power consumption, it is these 2 channels at 105 watts that consumes the power.

BUT, when you calculating for a stabiliser or a step down transformer, you always assume that all channels are driven at full volume, and then take a multiple of that which is usually 1.5 to 2. The reason for this are transients. An amplifier can suddenly suck a huge amount of power when the audio peaks, and in those moments, the stabiliser/transformer will shut down if it does not have ample capacity.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sir,
I have purchased yamaha 1065 receiver from US and I will need step down converter also..
can you suggest some brands which are available in my city or can buy online?..I searched local shops and they suggested oswal autotransformer 1000w for 2750..Is it good price?
again there is a big debate between auto vs isolated converters in this forum..so which type will you suggest?
while searching i came through this siteMDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
it is from Mx company which offers for rs 465..It is very different from what i have seen on sites and shop..can you throw some light on what things to be kept in my mind while purchasing converter?
thanks

I am getting my AVR-991 from US in next few days. Any suggestions for right place in Pune to buy 1 KW or more KW step down converter .

I bought a Maxine 1 KVa step down transformer with servo stabilizer costing 3.8K in chennai. My AVR gets shut down whn i used a 350w sd transformer. So I changed to this one. Now no problem.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back