stereo amp for Tannoy F1 custom?

@magma - You beat me to it and very good and sound advice/suggestions you've given.

@spirovious - I wanted to ask what's your budget and what's your content i.e. are they MP3, FLAC or Audio CDs? For some of the systems suggested here you can build an entire alternate system itself and really a CDP/stereo amp does not make much sense unless you really have a lot of Audio CDs. You don't want to be buying a stereo amp and a CDP and then spending more money on Audio CDs for the system to play them. Right now you're thinking of a stereo amp but tomorrow you may feel the transport/source is not good and you'll have to invest yet again in a CDP. For starters the source/transport needs to be good and the source material too like FLAC/WAV rips or Audio CDs. Working on others like a stereo amp, DAC, speakers, expensive cables, etc. is really not going to cut it if you're going to be playing not so perfect music via a budget DVDP.

Thanks magma,

You almost cleared all doubts.I thought of Denon DM37 just bcos it is said & reviewed as audiophile Q.It can play WMA/MP3 too.I know amp it has is only 30w(6 ohm).F1 recommends 10 to 70w ,so I considered.

Well I have aprox 30 cds which I listen often.

Moserw- I m in search of budget CDp which can play atleast WMA/MP3.Marantz 6002 does that ,but is costly(25k)Denon I selected ust for that(DM37)

I have other opt like WD + BF7520 as source(18k)

So the main link will be better amp I suppose?
Can anyone tell something abt Rotel amps also?it is recommended with F1 in hifi.

Last edited:
Listening room 11 X 14( L shaped)
Which do you suggest?

With 14ft you can easily get +9ft listening position so you will find some room to maneuver and find a listening sweet spot.

Are you using a sub too? The speaker only does upto 55hz. Also keep in mind the international price of Tannoy F1s is around 7 - 8K. You are paying extra 6K for no feature additions or product enhancements - for nothing. Why not go for the diamond 9.1 for 12.5k that goes down to 50hz? The Diamonds are closer to International pricing. so figuratively you get what you pay for ... :)

Regards

With 14ft you can easily get +9ft listening position so you will find some room to maneuver and find a listening sweet spot.

Are you using a sub too? The speaker only does upto 55hz. Also keep in mind the international price of Tannoy F1s is around 7 - 8K. You are paying extra 6K for no feature additions or product enhancements - for nothing. Why not go for the diamond 9.1 for 12.5k that goes down to 50hz? The Diamonds are closer to International pricing. so figuratively you get what you pay for ... :)

Regards

I know I paid extra(as other forum members),but I got assurance as dealer is close by.
I took audition wharf 9.1 & found it less opened.
Treble was short(though sweat)

I liked wharf 9.2 sound with CDp,but space was the prob.So opted Tannoy with forum's advice.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/922-q-acoustic-tannoy-mordaunt-short-902i.html

my philips 5996 claims to play wma and mp3 - however, it did not play a lossless wma file.

regards

Thanks magma,

You almost cleared all doubts.I thought of Denon DM37 just bcos it is said & reviewed as audiophile Q.It can play WMA/MP3 too.I know amp it has is only 30w(6 ohm).F1 recommends 10 to 70w ,so I considered.

Well I have aprox 30 cds which I listen often.

Moserw- I m in search of budget CDp which can play atleast WMA/MP3.Marantz 6002 does that ,but is costly(25k)Denon I selected ust for that(DM37)

I have other opt like WD + BF7520 as source(18k)

So the main link will be better amp I suppose?
Can anyone tell something abt Rotel amps also?it is recommended with F1 in hifi.

Moserw- I m in search of budget CDp which can play atleast WMA/MP3.Marantz 6002 does that ,but is costly(25k)Denon I selected ust for that(DM37).

Cd6002 was 18K in Dec, Somone on the forum got it for less from Chennai, with bill+warranty. HK price is 15K INR. I too got quotes of 28K from delhi.

There is Mumbai distie who quoted 18K for me, but I ended up buying it form BassTreble Coimbatore because he (mumbai distie) forwarded me to a dealer with a lousy attitude. I dont recall his name or number.

So you can definitely get it for less than 18K.

Regards

I know I paid extra(as other forum members),but I got assurance as dealer is close by.
I took audition wharf 9.1 & found it less opened.
Treble was short(though sweat)

I liked wharf 9.2 sound with CDp,but space was the prob.So opted Tannoy with forum's advice.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/922-q-acoustic-tannoy-mordaunt-short-902i.html

The 8.2 is definitely more open sounding and airy and affordable (being older) than 9.2 or Tannoy if you care to check it out.

Since the Tanny does not go below 55hz I guess you can place it closer to the wall. Are you using a sub?

If space is a problem, you can perhaps get the speaker wall mounts discussed iin another thread? check the weight limitations of the wall mounts and screw bore and your wall/landlord limitations before you do that. :)

Cheers

Ps: Just realized you already got the Tannoy so ignore the comment about 8.2s.

Last edited:
The 8.2 is definitely more open sounding and airy and affordable (being older) than 9.2 or Tannoy if you care to check it out.

Since the Tanny does not go below 55hz I guess you can place it closer to the wall. Are you using a sub?

If space is a problem, you can perhaps get the speaker wall mounts discussed iin another thread? check the weight limitations of the wall mounts and screw bore and your wall/landlord limitations before you do that. :)

Cheers

Ps: Just realized you already got the Tannoy so ignore the comment about 8.2s.

Thanks,but wall mounting is not possible.So I kept Tany on shelf to improve Bass as AVr is poor.Sub is passive with my current system.:sad:

I only heard the Tanny for 30 mins. It gives a room filling sound great for movies and music alike like you said. With a sub you should be all set. Only remember you will not get spatial cues below 55 - 45hz that come with 2 channel mid bass setup and binaural human hearing. And going even below that - direction of sound cannot be discerned anyways.

Cheers

I have short listed this combo for Tany F1,

Oppo DV980(or CA DV99) + NAD 326bee(or similar budget one) + F1

Will this combo be musical & enjoyable?

Last edited:
spiro,sounds like a winning budget combo to me with all the frills of video plus good sound to boot.go for it,would be very hard to beat for the price.of course the 980 will have to be sourced from abroad yes?(dont think they market it in india).for me the dv89/99+nad c325bee+tannoy f1 would be the way to go.cheers

Last edited:
Great choice!! I have heard the DV99 and wouldn't pick it though. The Oppo 980 should be good, but it is end-of-sale no?

Regards

I have short listed this combo for Tany F1,

Oppo DV980(or CA DV99) + NAD 326bee(or similar budget one) + F1

Will this combo be musical & enjoyable?

Instead of the Oppo or the CA go with an Asus soundcard and the amp. Cost will be lesser and the performance much better. Whatever either of these players can do the Asus will do better IMHO.

8K for sound card + 15K for PC minimum is over his budget I think. Then add a few K for remote. Besides a clunky htpc with is desktop interface and overhead software will not upscale SD like an Oppo with dedicated ASIC for it.

Regards

8K for sound card + 15K for PC minimum is over his budget I think. Then add a few K for remote. Besides a clunky htpc with is desktop interface and overhead software will not upscale SD like an Oppo with dedicated ASIC for it.

Regards

Spiro already has a PC and placed right next to his HT setup. Just will need to draw cables from soundcard to the AVR/stereo amp. This will work out cheaper for him hence my suggestion, otherwise would not suggest this route.

His only concern is about soundcard doing 7.1, but in this case neither will the DVDP so even here the soundcard is a better deal.

Spiro already has a PC and placed right next to his HT setup. Just will need to draw cables from soundcard to the AVR/stereo amp. This will work out cheaper for him hence my suggestion, otherwise would not suggest this route.

His only concern is about soundcard doing 7.1, but in this case neither will the DVDP so even here the soundcard is a better deal.

You r right moserw,

A lot of confusion with upgrades.Oppo980 is really value for money as I still dont have HDMI DVDp & have many DVD mov too.
SC is really good option,but asus has not given me technical confirmation yet.They have terrible driver issue(found in asus forum)There soundcard have ch mismatch issue reported.Occassionally I play some games too,which can hang on asus SC(as reported)

Oppo has edge as it can start faster than PC(sudden powercuts in Mumbai)
secondly my plans to get HDTV this year,so HDMI DVDp is good option too.I can try with 1 frnd in US.Dont know if Oppo 990 will be available.

Pan BDp are too within budget,but still has reg issue.

So is the confusion:rolleyes:

I called Lakozy & found price of NAD326 is 29k.
I found Marantz CR-502 which is all in one with Biamp facility,CDp with USB input,amp loop function & price is close to 30k.

Marantz Europe

So what do you think friends?

Seems pricey for something that will only play CDs, MP3 and WMA. Give it an audition and go for it if you like how it sounds.

I called Lakozy & found price of NAD326 is 29k.
I found Marantz CR-502 which is all in one with Biamp facility,CDp with USB input,amp loop function & price is close to 30k.

Marantz Europe

So what do you think friends?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back