stereo amp for Tannoy F1 custom?

I dunno about you guys but I have always had this thing against buying from such sources. You may be buying stolen goods. And purchasing it guarantees that the thief plan his next steal.

Same with the blankets that flood the street shops now and then. Aid meant for earthquake/flood victims is pilfered and stocked in godowns by black marketeers. A year later they find their way into the street bazaars at half price. The poor victims never receive the aid they deserve.

Regards

Im using Exposure 2010S to drive my Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom. Before purchased the 2010S, I have auditioned several integrated amps (all using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 75th anniv. Edition):

1) Cayin A50T (tube), 16Wpc in triode mode and 35Wpc in Ultra Linnear mode :
Natural & liquid sound especially in the midband. Generous musicality. Present good instrument & voice texture. Perhaps due to power/wattage (& the Diamond sensitivity of only 86db/W/m, nominal impedance 6ohm), Im not satisfied when playing classical orchestral music, feel like not enough impact & definition especially during complex passage.
2) NAD C372, 150Wpc:
A very powerful & dynamic amp, with excellent transient attack. Good tonal balance across the whole spectrum. Never run out of power, provide total control of the loudspeaker. Big & spacious soundstage. Sound is a bit mechanical, there is a slight artificial character.
3) Rotel RA06, 70Wpc:
Imaging is solid, with dark background. Powerful, but not so good in resolution & detail, I feel that the high freq. is rather softened.
4) Creek Evolution:
Agile sound, dynamic, with good emotion. Solid & stable soundstage. Im not happy with the tonal balance, its like the mid & upper mid are rather recessed.
5) Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta, 75Wpc:
This is a solid state amp that sounds like tube: warm, liquid and smooth (even sounds warmer than the cayin). Musicality is a strong point here. Good tonal balance from top to bottom. Imaging is solid & full-bodied. Neutrality is not satisfactory to me, due to the warmish sound, though I must admit the warmish sound is appealing to some degree. Also not very good in rhythmic.

Actually I auditioned another NAD but forget the type, either 315 or 325. Less powerful than the C372, also a bit mechanical sound. But tonal balance is better than the Creek, while detail and resolution is good, better than the Rotel RA06. I actually prefer this NAD than the Creek Evo or the Rotel RA06. But I dont know with other type of Creek or Rotel. I read that Rotel RA04 sound quality is better compared to 06.
I end up with Exposure 2010S, 75Wpc: neutral, good tonal balance, transparent, excellent rhythmic & dynamic, holographic soundstage, really musical. Not a lot of features though, no balance control, no tone control.
I first use the 2010S to drive the Diamond before change it with the F1 Custom. The 2010s characteristics are recognizable through both speakers.
My second choice of amp would be the Cayin, if not for the classical orchestral music, the Cayin would be a stronger candidate. Being a tube amp, it offers respectable neutrality which is better than the AA Puccini. Maybe the result would be better using the Cayin to drive the F1 Custom (a bit higher sensitivity of 87Db/W/m, 8ohm nominal impedance) than to drive the Diamond.
My third choice would be the AA Puccini.

Last edited:
I will prefer the Nad with Tannoy, very soft and can listen for a longer time. I had a Rotel RA 02 , its a good amp but cant listen to it for too long.

Hi friends, so far I was using Kenwood amp for music & now time to upgrade as my friend is coming from UK & I can get better one from there.

So few are-
1.Rotel 04,01,02
2.CA 640
3.Nad 3020/320

Out of these,which can sound best with F1?
I like natural,musical sound.I listen Bollywood music too.You can rate each of them considering F1 & overall(with other spk).
Abt Rotel,is Ra-04 really much worthy than Ra-01?
How can you compare Rotel with CA & NAd?

Pls.post early as I have short time to order.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Spirovious

I have heard very good things about Rotel RA 01. Its a very clean natural sounding amp. You might also want to consider Dayens Ampino. Oddyssey, i think, has one for sale.

thanks,I will add SW later,I need detailed,musical good sound.
As asked earlier,which amp will be best for better spks?

spiro
in my thread i think ive compared the cambridge audio amp and the NAD
i auditioned both with the Tannoy F1's ( at least i rememer doing it)
I dont know about the Rotels though

hmm.. i wonder how youve not jumped onto the Topping TP 20 craze.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back