Stereo Amplifier suggestion for Dynaudio Audience 72?

Abhijit,

Without prejudice to anyone else's opinions..

DO listen to the NAD with the Dynas - you may be very pleasantly surprised!!

NAD is warm and smooth, and shines particularly on vocals. Many amps may claim to be 'correct', 'detailed', etc. etc. but may not have the emotional impact you desire.

Sure, the 372 not perfect, but then nothing is in that bracket. You just need to take a call based on your tastes.

Regards,
Persiflage

I could not get to listen to Krell (in Delhi) despite calling the distributor several times. I think he was not able to arrange for a demo of Krell KAV 400 model.

Not able to listen to NAD combo either since distributor (and local dealer) has no stock and no demo piece left. He does not appear to have any intention of importing C172/272 combo since NAD is coming up with C165/C275 (BEE) combo sometime in this month. The distributor says he will have newer NAD range sometime in January.

Would it be worth waiting for this new combo? It will definitely cost more (1 lac +) than old combo (87K MRP). I am otherwise planning to go with New Classic Parasound range (2100 + 2250) without having any listen to them (just relying on few reviews and posts on various forums). It will cost around 1 Lac and has 3 years warranty in India. What do you guys say?

Hi Tarun
You have already tried some extremely well reviewed components for yourself, yet werent convinced, why now go in for a combo that you havent tried at all? Why would you even look at the NAD for that price when there is better stuff (by almost all aspects) around? Cant you listen to the Parasound before you plunk money down? what about the McCormacks?

Separately, in about 3 weeks we will be getting a new amp that has had a great debut in the US a few months back. If you still havent finalised anything by then, you are welcome to come and check it out.

cheers

Not able to listen to NAD combo either since distributor (and local dealer) has no stock and no demo piece left. He does not appear to have any intention of importing C172/272 combo since NAD is coming up with C165/C275 (BEE) combo sometime in this month. The distributor says he will have newer NAD range sometime in January.

Sighh. Another product revision. Why do most mainstream audio companies feel they have to make these 'new improved' noises every 2-3 years? Esp. when there is no tangible improvement? That certainly was the case with C172/272 - I didn't feel it was better than anything produced in the golden age of NAD, say the trusty old 1600/ 216 combo that now does duty in my second system.

Hope the next upgrade is better, but I doubt it somehow.

The parasound should be ok, but i would'nt buy b4 giving it a listen. What is the excat price break up of the combo?
All the best
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Shridhar,

Nice to see you again.

You are absolutely right. I should (or rather must) give a listen before deciding to buy. I was planning to go to Mumbai for listening to NAD & Parasound; but that option does not look good now (since NAD cannot be listened to).

I thought 2250 being a beefy amp (250W @ 8 ) would be able to drive the speakers easily. I had inquired on other forums as well. I have not heard anything bad about Parasound so far. Lastly, it fits well in my budget.

Can you tell me more about the new amp you are going to have in three weeks? I can hold on my Parasound decision.

Thanks,
Tarun

I am otherwise planning to go with New Classic Parasound range (2100 + 2250) without having any listen to them (just relying on few reviews and posts on various forums). It will cost around 1 Lac and has 3 years warranty in India. What do you guys say?

Parasound with a 3 year warranty is an excellent choice. Parasound has a long life of creating audiophile products that have been praised around the world. Though I will never ask you to buy anything without a personal audition, if that is what you have to do, then the risks with Parasound will be much less.

Check with the distributor and see if there is ANY Parasound amp in your home town. If you can request that owner to let you listen for a few minutes, you will get an idea of the sound signature of the Parasounds. That was you have removed the risk completely.

Cheers

Cheers.

I'd like to say Tarun that don't go by paper specs. There are many amps which advertise very high specs but clip way before what they are rated for. Doesn't mean they can't drive tough loads or sound great. However one must audition the amp with *your speakers* before deciding anything. I've seen many amps sound heavenly with a certain speaker while sounding just ok with others and this is completely unrelated to power.

Hi,

Recently I supplied Plinius 8150 to one audiophile for matching his Audience 72. He is happy with this new set up.

Apart from the plinius I have other amplifiers also.

Krell 400xi, Cyrus 8 VS2 (Black colour - 3 month old) with Indian warranty, Arcam A-85, Brand New NAIM Nait 5i Version 2, YBA Integre DT, Perreaux e-160i, Roksan Kandy III, Roksan Caspian, etc. etc. for sale.

If interested pl call 09790012578

I could not get to listen to Krell (in Delhi) despite calling the distributor several times. I think he was not able to arrange for a demo of Krell KAV 400 model.

Would it be worth waiting for this new combo? It will definitely cost more (1 lac +) than old combo (87K MRP). I am otherwise planning to go with New Classic Parasound range (2100 + 2250) without having any listen to them (just relying on few reviews and posts on various forums). It will cost around 1 Lac and has 3 years warranty in India. What do you guys say?

Hi,
I doubt the replacement for the C162/272 Nad pre/power will be much better. It could be worse too!
If opting for nad then this is the time to fish for discounts as these guys will be keen to dispose.
I know guys think u can do much better than Nad. You most definately can,but this pre/power IMO is great VFM.

The new pre and power amps are based on the masters series and look to be a departure from the previous series in terms of build quality. (The upper end of the classic series (c375,c275,c165)). Does this mean they will sound better than their predecessors to all people, probably not. I own(ed) the c272 and will be purchasing the c275. NAD does not come out with new gear every 2 years, in fact it has been 5 since the classic series was last updated and it is in need of an update. Here are some pics of the new pre/power amp and some pics of their predecessors. The first two are the c272 and c162 followed by the c165 and c275. The new components look impressive.

Attachments

• 1127406562.jpg
    1127406562.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 238
  • c 162.jpg
    c 162.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 238
  • img_1207.jpg
    img_1207.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 239
  • img_1206.jpg
    img_1206.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 233
Hi,

Recently I supplied Plinius 8150 to one audiophile for matching his Audience 72. He is happy with this new set up.

Apart from the plinius I have other amplifiers also.

Krell 400xi, Cyrus 8 VS2 (Black colour - 3 month old) with Indian warranty, Arcam A-85, Brand New NAIM Nait 5i Version 2, YBA Integre DT, Perreaux e-160i, Roksan Kandy III, Roksan Caspian, etc. etc. for sale.

If interested pl call 09790012578

Hi Prakash

You are offering a pretty impressive list of amps around mid- to hi-fi. I would definitely contact you down the road if I am looking to replace/upgrade my existing ones. Are you a retailer by any chance?

hi hifijunky,
i agree with dinyaar. go for nad c 165 pre-amp and nad c 275 power amp combo or parasound p3 pre-amp and parasound a23 power amp or parasound a21 power amp combo. contact balaji ramachandran of mahendra associates in bangalore. they are the dealers for nad and parasound in bangalore.
mobile: 9343828522
landlines:40212223
e-mail:[email protected]

I am still looking out for it. I will try to audition newer NAD series when they are available in India. I have also been waiting for the Creek Destiny; but it is not available with distributor as yet (waiting for the last three months).

hi hifijunky

i have 3 options : McCOrmack DNA 125, Naim nait 5i, Unison Research Unico.

I doubt he'll ever get it. I had aslo enqired about it a year ago & he never came back.
I am still looking out for it. I will try to audition newer NAD series when they are available in India. I have also been waiting for the Creek Destiny; but it is not available with distributor as yet (waiting for the last three months).

hi hifijunky

all items i mentioned are from used market ex= audiogon.com etc..

No idea if they are offically available in Inda.

regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back