Stereo bookshelf speakers under Rs.15-30k

What do you think abt KEF Q300?..

KEF sounded great with lot of detail but on the brighter side. The Pro-fx folks had these connected to a Denon system, so I did not have too much expectations. I want to audition the Q300's with a NAD C356BEE and a Marantz PM7004, but the possibility of getting this combination for a store audition seems remote.

@fusspot, have u carried out the audition of 2nd set of BS spks? if so, then pls share ur experience with us , so that it will benifit members like me who likes same kinda music.

I'm sorry for abandoning this thread!

Had a lot of other things going on. As a wise man once said, 'life is what happens when you are busy making other plans'.

I will get back to auditioning the rest of the shortlisted speakers over the next few months.

i recently bought a great pair of speakers HEYBROOKS HB2. some amazing sound this monster throws.
HB 2 - Specifications:

Sensitivity - 90 dB/Watt
Impedance - 6 Ohms
Drive units - Bass - 165mm Kevlar
Mid - --
Treble - 25mm aluminium
Dimensions (HxWxD) mm - 435x240x290
Power Handling - 90 Watts
Frequency range - 45Hz-22KHz

i recently bought a great pair of speakers HEYBROOKS HB2.

Try the Dali Zensor range.

Try checking these speakers ! Seems like they quite suited for your tastes

Thank you guys for the recommendations! Not in town at the moment and will start auditioning by next month. But, have been prowling around HFV off and on.

Ordered a Indeed TA2021 off ebay, since I had sold off the Topping when I got busy. Might order a DAC as well. Right now, the plan is to audition all aforesaid bookshelves in the thread and compare them to DIY fostex builds. See what gives me more kicks and then settle down with "the one" :)

Last edited:
I previously auditioned a few speakers but nothing was as sweet as a kef!
Q300 could be a good choice with a denon amp

Looked like a good thread but sad that it had no definitive ending. I am in the hunt with almost the same budget, and I guess I will report my own experience.

Looked like a good thread but sad that it had no definitive ending. I am in the hunt with almost the same budget, and I guess I will report my own experience.

Hi people! The search has ended, but in an unlikely place.

What started out as a budget bookshelf search led me to the wonderful world of DIY audio. After my short stint with Fostex fullrangers, tube amps, fancy DACs and brief auditions with active monitors like Aktimate minis and Sonodyne studio range, I finally have settled down with the Mark Audio CHP-70s.

Most bookshelves I listened to did not have adequate bass at low listening levels (making it sound hollow). To my ears, this also felt like either the mids or the highs were more pronounced. This had nothing to do with the speakers themselves, but the inability of the human ear to pick ups LFs at low decibels. So, some sort equalization/loudness control was necessary to fix this. As my T-amp did not have controls to get this done gracefully, I needed a speaker that would work without any tone controls. Software EQs just don't sound right to my ears, maybe I have not found the right tools yet.

Finally after a lot of research and assumptions, I ordered a pair of Mark Audio CHP-70 Gen 2 from Madisound. After customs duty & shipping, it came to be about 12.5k. Best audio purchase so far. Don't be put off by the "vintage sound" description of the drivers. Sometimes, less is more.

While these drivers may not epitomize the bleeding edge of high-end audio fidelity, it has enough of everything to hit the sweet spot for me. 1)Non-fatiguing for nearfield listening (i.e. no ringing in the ears after a while) 2)Adequate, balanced bass at low decibels 3)Satisfactory level of details to enjoy music 4)Adequate decibels to fill my room without distortion.

Right now, breaking them in cardboard boxes. Once the break-in is complete, will put them in bookshelves or towers.

Bottomline: I have stopped listening to the "sound" and started to enjoy the music! I guess that marks the end of this eventual and long thread. :)

Last edited:
Hi people! The search has ended, but in an unlikely place.

Hmmm so its finally done !

Most bookshelves I listened to did not have adequate bass at low listening levels (making it sound hollow)............

Did you hear the speakers that I suggested ?? if not then surely you've missed out on something,should do it now regardless of buying needs......

Anyways enjoy the music...................

Hi,

Would suggest you go for B&W CM series speakers...check their website for the correct match to your amp. Marantz amplifier or Cambridge audio would have been ideal but since you have already placed your order....no turning back now...

All the best

no turning back now...

I have turned back so many times after buying stuff, it's just that these little Mark Audio fullrangers are real keepers.

Did you hear the speakers that I suggested ??

I'm sorry man, but didn't get to listen to SoundsGreat's BS. Probably I am too smitten by fullrangers and will take some time to get back to traditional 2-ways.

I'm sorry man, but didn't get to listen to SoundsGreat's BS. Probably I am too smitten by fullrangers and will take some time to get back to traditional 2-ways.

No need to buddy, I just thought you should've that's all !! Well if you are so convinced with the sound then please do not bother as further poking around will only screw your head and make you................

If you like the sound then just simply enjoy it as long as you can :yahoo:!!

No need to buddy, I just thought you should've that's all !! Well if you are so convinced with the sound then please do not bother as further poking around will only screw your head and make you................

If you like the sound then just simply enjoy it as long as you can :yahoo:!!

I dont think shreekanth is selling his bookshelf speakers these days.

You know this how ?? please don't mistake me just curious as to how you got to know this info,I haven't communicated at all since ages so...........

Many forum members including myself got it touch with him in the past and got this answer. The last purchase from him on this forum was by member rikhav.

Many forum members including myself got it touch with him in the past and got this answer. The last purchase from him on this forum was by member rikhav.

Sorry to take the thread OT

If any mods wish they can create a new thread for it but I had to clear a few doubts so thought its best to post here itself

I am constantly in touch with Sreekanth. Infact he has come up with quiet a bit of new stuff including three varieties of ICs, speaker cable, the very latest being his power cable and TL bookshelves which he has sent to me for feedback purposes. Me and couple of FMs have heard the same and couple more are yet to hear. Hopefully you will read about it soon on the forum.

Agreed. his stuff is not readily available as he is not your average commercial guy which you can buy off the shelf. For the record, let me say on his behalf "he is always ready to make stud for people, FM's or otherwise who are seriously interested"

After reading your last post, I called him up immediately as I wanted to know the exact details. What he told me was no member from the forum has shown serious interest regarding any of his stuff.

With respect to you, he said you had visited him a year or two back to audition his prototype towers of which you had taken notes as well with the intention of posting it online. Perhaps I might have missed it but I don't remember reading it anywhere.

Last conversation what he had with you was regarding a small audio meet at your apartment complex but later on he never heard from you.

Hope, I have not written anything wrong. Just wanted to clear the air. If there is anything needed to be corrected please let me know

Last edited:
I did visit Shreekanth two years back and auditioned the prototypes which he made and asked about bookshelf speakers. At the time he mentioned he was doing a friends project in Delhi and would not be having time to make bookshelf speakers. This was after reading your reviews and Dave's comments on his bookshelf speakers.

Later I referred a lot of people to Visit shreekanth and audition the speakers and compare them with commercial brands. Many have said he is not selling bookshelfs any more (Suresh, Paramesh and Rajesh) . And they have come back saying we can not even afford the speaker cables he is selling, Then I convinced them about where he gets the material from and the kind of work that goes into making such a quality cable.

I am an avid supporter of DIY coz that is something I am not skilled with. I keep telling people before spending lakhs on commercial brands do visit our DIY experts and listen to their systems.

My post was not to go negative but just what I heard from forum members in recent past.

If my post has been received in a wrong way. My apologies.

f
My post was not to go negative but just what I heard from forum members in recent past.

If my post has been received in a wrong way. My apologies.

No no you got it wrong,I never said or hinted that way,Like you I was also trying to post the info I had at hand and some which gathered after speaking to him.

Again Am posting after talking to him,If only he was active in the forum we wouldntve had to.............but what to do ??

I did visit Shreekanth two years back and auditioned the prototypes which he made and asked about bookshelf speakers. At the time he mentioned he was doing a friends project in Delhi and would not be having time to make bookshelf speakers. This was after reading your reviews and Dave's comments on his bookshelf speakers.

Very true, He did have to go and finish the HT of a friend, during which period he may not have had time so may have said that. After he was back he made another pair of BS for a forum member who is enjoying them. So surely it would've meant "not possible for time being". Besides as already mentioned he's not a out and out commercial guy to have a stock pile of his stuff which can be picked off the shelf, also he's bit particular about what he makes.

Later I referred a lot of people to Visit shreekanth and audition the speakers and compare them with commercial brands. Many have said he is not selling bookshelfs any more (Suresh, Paramesh and Rajesh) . And they have come back saying we can not even afford the speaker cables he is selling, Then I convinced them about where he gets the material from and the kind of work that goes into making such a quality cable.

Yes ofcourse you did send Paramesh and his Hydrebad friend Rajesh, both of whom according to Sreekanth were floored by the sound (both Stereo and HT, Rajesh even going to the extent of saying ("This sound itself is worth my Bangalore visit"),Rajesh was interested in the tower (not BS) it seems and had inquired the pricing saying he has shortlisted them and would get back shortly but only to call after sometime informing Sreekanth of his purchase of danavox towers, ditto for Paramesh (both of whom are in touch with him whenever they need any help).

As with the pricing, he has three levels of cables for different setups. Yes it may sound costly but then if you see the results then surely you'll agree that they are worth more than what are priced, besides its a no compromise build where each component that goes into are carefully chosen(Silver plated wires, multiple layers of shielding, etc.), more than anything the sheer time it takes to hand braid these cables alone should be worth the money asked

Ask me as I use his interconnects (see my Sig) and have his speaker cables and newly made power cable (got them for auditioning), so can say without a doubt they are worth more then what is being paid.

Now I hope things are more clearer, If I may take the liberty then will strongly suggest you to touch base with him and have a chat or another visit, perhaps that'll do the trick ?:)

My last OT post on this thead.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back