Stereo bookshelf speakers under Rs.15-30k

You can take audition of Nibbana Audio's first budget BS speakers - Dvee Fire starters - Price : 15000 INR. They have recently launched. it is not available on their website. You can call them for demo.

I think its 100 W RMS , 84 db , 5 1/4 inch mid bass and 1" tweeter.

You can look into AV max magazine latest issue (august 2012). It is bookshelf speaker issue. 19 BS speakers reviewed pricing from 18000 to 3 Laks.

Major News

I just wanted to check whether my Topping Amp was functioning properly, before I could take it for an audition.

So, I plugged my Creative satellites (without sub) into them, not expecting much. I played my usual songs, sounded alright, but of course the low end was absent since the sub was not connected.

I just played some other random song on my hard drive (I have a bad habit of downloading random stuff and never deleting it). Holy sh!t, it was Elvis and he sounded fantastic. The strange thing is, before today, I never understood why Elvis was a big deal. Next it was Frank Sinatra's turn to awe me. Billie Holiday was breathtaking as well.

It wasn't just the oldies. Classical music and vocals were captivating like never before. Strings on the violin and guitar were engaging. Ah, now I am starting to understand why some people consider selling off their kidneys to buy audio equipment.

I am floored! How can a $50 amp make me like or even bother listening to songs that I had ignored before! Maybe, I am exaggerating things here. But, I am totally confused and excited at the same time. I really am at a loss for words. The music just sounds fuller, cleaner and more engaging.

This got me thinking about bigger questions. How big a part does audio equipment play in shaping our taste in music? I can't wait to pair these amps with real speakers! Time to burn a wider spectrum of music on my audition CDs.

Last edited:
Re: Major News

i think it only helps you in finding your desinty (read genre of choice). :)

Sure, that is one way of looking at it. But, I guess it's just one of those unanswerable questions, in the same vein as nature vs. nurture. Or maybe it is as simple as that. My answer would change on different days of the week. :eek:hyeah:

Sure, that is one way of looking at it. But, I guess it's just one of those unanswerable questions, in the same vein as nature vs. nurture. Or maybe it is as simple as that. My answer would change on different days of the week. :eek:hyeah:

:) btw i have DTA 1 for the past 8 months without proper speakers to go with it. I am contemplating building a WR diy BS but i recently got a car and most of my time and money are spent on it. :) hence need to put this plan aside for few months. Just in case you find any gud deal for speakers for this amp, please update it here so people like me will benefit.

I am contemplating building a WR diy BS but i recently got a car and most of my time and money are spent on it.

I know, the bills never stop! I presume that DTA1 is the dayton t-amp, and WR = wide-range?

I too am thinking of a DIY based on WR Fostex drivers and developing an unhealthy obsession over open-baffles. Anyhow, I still have to listen to KEF and Focal (another round of MS Aviano and Epos Epic with the T-amp) to see if I can fit something exciting within my budget. I really am desperate to find a good deal on used speakers, but that remains an elusive dream thus far.

I know, the bills never stop! I presume that DTA1 is the dayton t-amp, and WR = wide-range?

I too am thinking of a DIY based on WR Fostex drivers and developing an unhealthy obsession over open-baffles. Anyhow, I still have to listen to KEF and Focal (another round of MS Aviano and Epos Epic with the T-amp) to see if I can fit something exciting within my budget. I really am desperate to find a good deal on used speakers, but that remains an elusive dream thus far.

Yes its Dayton T-amp with a chip slightly inferior than the one in yours. 2024 chip instead of 2020 in yours.

Yes, its a wide ranger.

Fostex will be costly. I am hoping to find a Pulse WR driver. Must be around 400 bucks. Only problem is I need to go to the store and only one store seems to stock that brand. Otherwise i will get a pearless india driver for around 5oo bucks each but they are only 3". Nevetheless they provide good experience for a first project irrespective of the driver size.

"UNHEALTHY OBSESSION"???? why do you say so? if your genre choice is suited to large and spacious sound-stage and less bass and space is not a constraint(of-course budget too!) then OBs are the way to go!

Hey Yuvaraki, the Pulse wide ranger is also available with Iwai speakers. Visit their website. Its the octagonal full range variant. @Fussspot, if you happen to visit Goa, do visit me for a taste of open baffles. I feel that My OBs have significantly improved after addition of equalizers in the chain. They were weak on bass and had midrange prominence which I feel I have tackled with 31Band EQs but then the total cost has gone up. Only speakers cost me 10k but speakers+EQ cost me 24k. They will perform much better than commercialy available speaker in that price range. Right now I am listening to songs from the movie SUR on my speakers. Superb experience. (M.M. Kreem has been my favourite music director since Iss Raatki Subaha nahi)

"UNHEALTHY OBSESSION"???? why do you say so?
Unhealthy because I am spending too much time researching on it! And I sure will keep an eye out for the local wide-rangers to get a taste of the sound.

If you happen to visit Goa, do visit me for a taste of open baffles.
Thanks, Goa is certainly on my list of destinations! Great to know that your OBs are getting better. Although a world without crossovers and equalizers sounds ideal, I guess some sort of equalization has to be added to the mix to make a diverse range of genres/instruments/voices palatable.

Hey Yuvaraki, the Pulse wide ranger is also available with Iwai speakers. Visit their website. Its the octagonal full range variant. @Fussspot, if you happen to visit Goa, do visit me for a taste of open baffles. I feel that My OBs have significantly improved after addition of equalizers in the chain. They were weak on bass and had midrange prominence which I feel I have tackled with 31Band EQs but then the total cost has gone up. Only speakers cost me 10k but speakers+EQ cost me 24k. They will perform much better than commercialy available speaker in that price range. Right now I am listening to songs from the movie SUR on my speakers. Superb experience. (M.M. Kreem has been my favourite music director since Iss Raatki Subaha nahi)

I just checked it thank you! But how do you know if they are made by pulse?

Moreover 8" will be too huge to use on a computer desk. So i might try the 4" one first. Not sure why that cheesy name when he comes to hindi but his real name is Keeravani and he is a damn-good artist! Listen to dis by him and movie itself is one of the best i have seen by a Telugu team.

Talugu Eega--Nene Nani Ne Full HD Song With lyrics - YouTube

I just now checked Peerless India's website for wide-range drivers and none of their products have full specs. Either frequency range, sensitivity or driver size is missing. Why even bother investing on a website if you don't care to maintain it!

I don't understand why Indian manufacturers don't take their own business seriously. Is it ignorance or arrogance? I guess it's a bit of both.

Moreover 8" will be too huge to use on a computer desk.

Since you are gonna be using it near your computer, I suggest you pick a driver that is magnetically shielded. Also, since you are gonna use a T-Amp, I hear it is better to match it with a 8 ohm driver. There is one 3" Iwai driver which fits both requirements:
Iwai Electronics Pvt. Ltd.

Iwai speakers are made by Iwai but the specs are same. I have a box of Pulse driver on which they mention same things. May be original manufacturer is same. However, T/s paramenters for the 8" is not available. Either you can go by T antonyls specs or choose a driv with known TS parameters. You won't need magnetically shielded drivers if you are using anything other than CRT monitor. Magnets distort images on CRT screens only. @ Fusspot, Ahuja gives all details about their drivers. Check out website of Ahuja radios. Only issue, the minimum size of their driver is 12". Regarding EQ, even the recording engineer uses Equalizers while recording and mastering, then why shouldn't we? I feel that with use of EQs, the problem of synergy between amp , speakers and ROOM can be easily solved to great extent. Yes. We people always speak about amp- speaker interaction but do not give that much importance to speaker-room interaction. We should always talk about amp-speaker-room synergy.

Last edited:
you may call them. The phone no. On website works but my call was picked up watchman and i never got a return call.

Regarding EQ, even the recording engineer uses Equalizers while recording and mastering, then why shouldn't we?

Recording engineers use EQs, but a musician singing on stage doesn't.

However, I understand the need for EQs to compensate for the losses during recording and far-from-perfect room acoustics, etc. I did not object to the use of EQ and I was actually agreeing with you on that.

I knew you were leaning towards EQ use. :) I was just trying to make you lean more towards EQs so that at least you try them out. :D. I was worried while buying EQ that they will add to distortion and they may be adding it technically but nothing is audible if EQs are good. I was so relieved that I made right choice.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back