Stereo bookshelf speakers under Rs.15-30k

What we can do is to provide in-home audition with an 15% restocking fee if there are some signs of wear and abuse.

That would certainly be a step in the right direction. As far I can see, this approach is the only way for new entrants to compete against bigger, established brands like Bose, Sony, etc. And, of course, having a "sound" presence on forums like HFV does help get the ball rolling.

Last edited:
I will also be open to the full money back scheme within 10 days of receipt deducting only the shipping charges for my Krypton Audio TL BS speakers.

Sir

Just a thought !!

I see your posts mostly with a commercial interest - hence why not register yourself as a "commercial member" on the Forum, and freely advertise while giving back the Forum community its fare share too ?

Sir

Just a thought !!

I see your posts mostly with a commercial interest - hence why not register yourself as a "commercial member" on the Forum, and freely advertise while giving back the Forum community its fare share too ?

Your suggestion is absolutely valid. At the same time, I would say that Hari has always been very helpful to lot of people, with a lot of technical advice in depth to all DIYers/tweekers free of cost (as far as I know as per my own experience). i think only his recent posts are in commercial interest as he is venturing newly into it.

A very good thread. I have the same music preferance as the thread owner. Can anyone please tell me where can I purchase the CA S30/the entire set in PUNE.

Hi-Fi, reality and everything in between

I have the same music preferance as the thread owner.
If you believe so, then the S30 might not meet your expectations. However, since we all use very subjective adjectives to express our preference in sound, the only way to find out is to listen for yourself.

Last edited:
Hi-fi, reality and everything in between

I finished auditioning 5 speakers today.

1) Epos Epic 2 (around 38k) - Exactly my kinda sound. Very laid back, non-fatiguing.

2) Epos Elan 10 (around 45k) - A bit more detailed and tighter bass maybe, compared to the Epic 2.

3) Cambridge Audio S30 (10k) - Very bright and shrill to my taste, very similar to Audio Engine A5. I am told that kinda sound is actually transparent, but the best way I can describe it is - not my kinda laid back sound.

4) Monitor Audio BR2 - Better than the S30, but still not as laid back as I'd like it to be.

5) Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1 (25k) - Definitely liked this one better than the previous two. Again, more of a laid back sound signature and I am told Aviano 1 has a bigger brother available at an addition 7-8k.

Both the Epos were paired with Creek Amps, while CA, MS and MA were powered by Cambridge Audio Amps. I carried my own CDs. Also, please be warned that I am not entirely sure if the prices that I have mentioned are accurate. While the Epos were available at at Reference Point (Indiranagar), I listened to MS, MA and CA at Audio Planet (Koramangala). The guy at Reference Point was quite okay with me taking all the time I needed.

Pazhani from Audio Planet was very good in understanding what kinda sound I was looking for. His suggestions were spot on, and his simplistic way of categorizing musical taste without succumbing to fancy adjectives was quite interesting. He also hooked up two speakers at a time, so that we could switch over from one speaker to another to spot the difference in sound. Based on my liking for Epos and MS, Pazhani also suggested that I might like the sound signature of KEF and Focal.

I still have not received my Topping Amp. Once I receive it, I'll take it to audition the Epos and Mordaunt Short speakers. However, I have more things to confuse me now:

1) Epos are 4 ohm speakers and MS Aviano 1 (4-8 ohms) - not sure if the Topping Amp is going to handle the drop in impedance that well

2) While I like the Epos and MS Aviano, I am not sure if plonking down 25-38k for it will make me feel like I have gotten my moneys worth!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending that kinda money on good audio, but the stark reality is that I have not been blown away by any of these speakers today. I'm not sure if my expectations are fair in the hi-fi realm. Is it impossible to get blown away at this price point?

I am starting to think DIY might offer me more, in terms of value for money, sheer feeling of accomplishment and I'd end up learning something in the process. Anyhow, the show must go on. My next audition shortlist will consist of:

1) Lyrita Harmony

2) KEF q300

3) Focal 706v

4) Quad 11L

4) Sonodyne

On a more philosophical note, the real question here is: Who is going to win this time, the non-conformist rebel (DIY) or the lazy consumer in me? :)

Last edited:
I appreciate your choice of sound signature for speakers - relaxed, laid back but detailed. Have you heard Quad 11L ?
Price of Aviano 1 seems to be on higher side! I have been quoted 23K for Aviano 2. Please re-check.

Fusspot - going out and auditioning matters a lot. Try to take a topping on loan from
Someone for a few days.. So you will hear EXACTLY ( almost ) what you will get.

This will reduce post purchase dissonance ( if any )

Wait for a few days till u get the topping.

Doesn't matter who wins as long as you enjoy the music !!

Rgds

My suggestion is to go for epos lan, they have good sensitivity. Don't worry about rates venky is the distributor.

Thanks
Venkat

In my view you need to increase the price a bit and audition ma rx1, kefr100, usher s520, paradigm studio10, psb mini. All of them you should be able to audition in bangalore except for studio 10 and psb mini(dealers usually don't stock them)

Cheers
Venkat

Re: Hi-fi, reality and everything in between

I am not sure if plonking down 25-38k for it will make me feel like I have gotten my moneys worth!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending that kinda money on good audio, but the stark reality is that I have not been blown away by any of these speakers today. I'm not sure if my expectations are fair in the hi-fi realm. Is it impossible to get blown away at this price point?

I have felt the same way as you did when spending something more than 25K for a speaker. Be it a FS (or) BS. I think you are close on the heels of Price to performance ratio (or) Vice Versa.

Glad that you have considered Sonodyne on the list amongst the international brands. If you have a 30K budget, you can very easily get their Sonus 2605 FS for 27K or if you need a BS you can look @ Sonus 1501 (10K). Modest price (But only if you like them :))

Doesn't matter who wins as long as you enjoy the music !!
I agree 100%

Don't worry about rates venky is the distributor.

In my view you need to increase the price a bit and audition ma rx1, kefr100, usher s520, paradigm studio10, psb mini.

Sure, I'll try auditioning them. BTW, could you tell me the Epos dealer's forum name? Right now, Epos is on the top of my list.

Last edited:

I have felt the same way as you did when spending something more than 25K for a speaker. I think you are close on the heels of Price to performance ratio

Elango, I am really curious to know about your audio journey. Since you felt the same way about the sub-25k options, how did you approach that situation? Did you settle for that and eventually upgrade later? Or did you just skip the budget offerings and move up the ladder? And, did increasing the budget really work for you?

About Sonodyne, as long as any brand sounds good and feels well built, I am open to it

Elango, I am really curious to know about your audio journey. Since you felt the same way about the sub-25k options, how did you approach that situation? Did you settle for that and eventually upgrade later? Or did you just skip the budget offerings and move up the ladder? And, did increasing the budget really work for you?

About Sonodyne, as long as any brand sounds good and feels well built, I am open to it

When i started my journey, i had a budget of 15K & auditioned PSB, Polk, Jamo, Wharfedale, Paradigm & Sonodyne all for BS. Out of my budget , i was able to fix only for Wharfedale diamond 9.2 (15.5 K). All other speakers in the same range were 25K. So i refrained from spending 25K on bookshelfs. Of all the speaakers mentioned above, i found Sonodyne speakers 2605 FS (24K) to be astounding value for money. I could get an indian made Sonodyne FS for 24K Vs an imported BS speaker for 24K. I didn't buy it then because i was in rented location and in a very small house which couldn't accomodate FS. At the same time, Sonodyne didn't have a BS speaker in their range. So i was forced to buy Diamond's 9.2. Though i love them :eek:hyeah:

But i have decided to buy/build future HT/Stereo products from Sonodyne for their performance & modest price (Manufactured in India). There are not many Hi-Fi manufactures from India who have the R & D scale/expertise of Sonodyne & their product range both in Home Audio/Pro Audio & others.

Take this scenario. Hope you would be aware of Honda CBR250R which sells for 1.65 Lacs on Road in India. The same product is exported to UK & retails for 4,000 Euro. Now Monitor Audio Gold book shelf GX50 retails in UK for 1,000 Euro, that is 1/4 of the CBR price. If we are to translate the same 1/4 pricing in India, Monitor Audio Gold GX50 should be selling in India for 40K Max. which is not the case and retails for more than 1 Lakh here. The same applies to other brands as well. Nothing against any brand. I understand & appreciate each & everyone liking and what is cited here is an example for exorbitant pricing. The products might be superior in performance. But at the end of the day it is money well spent.

@elangoas: Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences. Quite interesting indeed!

I am all for Indian brands making quality products at reasonable prices. I don't want to go off-topic here getting into the Indian vs. foreign brand debate. No disrespect intended :)

And, I really hope the Sonodynes sound good to me.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Has anyone tested Sonodyne Sonu 2504 V3 Floor standers with SIA 310 amp. Please let me know how do they perform.

Also how bad they are in compare with Sonu 2605 V3 with SIA 320. What is the recommended stereo setup for 12ft X 9ft bedroom.

Please advice

Many thanks,

Thanks & Regards,
Soumen

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back