Stereo bookshelf speakers under Rs.15-30k

Like to add my own case here.

I too, was looking for good speakers, had finalized Edifier S530, but order did not went through. From OP experience it seems like I was lucky not having them.

Now I have CA S30 speakers and TP2020 amp. I have this combo for last 1 week.
About audio quality, I am planning to right some newbie review soon, but here I will put some information.

I was not blown away by this combination, may be my expectation was too high. This combo does not seem to be bad but I did not feel blown away either.
These speakers are smaller in size and hence are easier to place and would not intrude into the decor. Bass, for me is somewhat on higher side. So for example on even some melodious and soft songs you feel bass notes, which are kind of intruding into the total(for example Raabata song from Agent Vinod). But, I have started to appreciate it now. As mentioned by many FM, sound seems "full bodied" than usual thin sounding speakers. Other speakers now sound hollow and thin.

Detail and clarity is sufficient, but headphone gives much better details and can easily expose even minutest of detail. IMO these speakers are no match for detail and are way behind my sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones. I think its not fair to compare headphones and speakers, though.
But I should mention that other genre of music like classical, instrumental, vocal sounds very good(to some extent impressive). Western pop, metal is not that impressive.

Note that, I am not an expert, still experimenting with these speakers. And perhaps, most important, I do not have dedicated DAC or soundcard. Most of the testing was with 320kbps MP3 files.

I miss the rumbling low bass that I would have had from Edifier S530. But I dont know if its good or bad. These speaker just give the feeling that they are better breed than usual speakers(for example JBL car speakers). But for me the difference was not day and night.

Hope this helps to make you decide further.

Last edited:
Hi Aashish & others, any idea how the wharfedale diamond 9.1 (86db; 6ohms) will fare with the Topping TP20? Could someone provide a definitive answer to this? If it is not a good pairing, I will flip for other amps. Thanks.

I would not suggest this pairing, although it may sound nice. An amp always performs better under stress-free conditions. 86dB at 6 ohm is a lot of stress for this small wonder. My advice would be to go for a CA AM5 or AM10, Advance Acoustic MP101, Norge 2060, Marantz PM5004 for doing justice to the speakers.

@aashish351: Full-range speakers huh? I have not thought of that approach thus far, but I have a feeling I might end up liking it. The Lyrita Harmony on the forum is sold out.

Once I have listened to enough speakers, I think would be able to understand what kinda driver will offer the sound that romances me and I believe that knowledge would lay the foundation for an ideal DIY setup. Anyhow, what type of drivers are available for DIY?

Fostex is the most popular one which comes to mind... although there are many more. just search 'Full Range Driver' and 'Single Driver Speakers' and you will find loads to information about them.

Now I have CA S30 speakers and TP2020 amp. So for example on even some melodious and soft songs you feel bass notes, which are kind of intruding into the total.

Detail and clarity is sufficient, but headphone gives much better details and can easily expose even minutest of detail.

Interesting observations indeed. Since you find even the CA S30's bass to be intrusive at times, I feel you are better off without the Edifier. If you need rumbling bass for movies/games, get a cheaper dedicated 2.1 for that.

Also, I honestly feel you need to get a dedicated DAC/soundcard. I have tried creative before, but M-Audio soundcard offers a very natural and non-fatiguing sound IMHO. Or maybe a good USB-based DAC.

For music, I find it interesting that you have used your headphones as a reference. I think this approach would be useful for someone looking for a reference while doing a DIY speaker project. I could be wrong tho.

Right now, I have a lot of ideas floating in my head. Full-range drivers, DIY (special thanks to aashish351 and kittu), but I need to start auditioning this weekend before I get any further.

Last edited:
If the bass is intruding for such a small speaker like CA s30, then most probably it is not too much bass but bass at wrong frequency. You are probably getting a boom there which is prominent at around 100-150 Hz and you may be still missing the low bass.

The details given by headphones are difficult to achieve with speakers.

@jaudere
Yep, I also feel that its mostly room response.

Bass amount is not large, but as mentioned on some soft and melodious songs, its like nothing heard before and hence I might be finding it awkward.

Headphone has very precise bass, which fades almost instantly. My car speakers are similar, there is bass but soft song remains soft even if there is drum, percussion in it(but now I sometimes think that they sound thin :) compared to S30). Whereas in case of S30 drum, percussion stands out too along with voice. May be I am not used to this kind of sound. And it aggravated by room response.

But note that, many people have mentioned that S30 can produce more bass than their size suggests. So I am not off the mark completely here.

Metal, rock easily becomes noisy on speakers and headphones alike. But vocal are smooth(and I cant stop appreciating it). Also other interesting thing is, just by listening to recording you can make out where the recording was done. So for example, if you listen to some youtube live video, you can easily tell if its recorded in a room, on stage, open air, small hall etc. I think its a great achievement and thumbs up to these speakers for that!

Last edited:
@abhi_jollyguy
But M200 is way out of budget compared to 9.5k of S30 and 3.5k of T2020 amp. Also small size was somewhat important for me. I too think that Swans M200 one of the best but have never heard them(and not many reviews either). Wish I had some means to audition them.

Last edited:
Re: Yet Another Budget Bookshelf Quest (Rs.15-30k)

Hai mate, U can try with Krk's 2.0 active monitor speaker "Rokit 5 G2" (Pair). Costs Rs. 28k (pair) at Sudeepaudio.com. Cheak out the link
Sudeep Audio: KRK Systems products in India

Yep, this is another shoestring budget BS speaker thread! However, as a bonus, it also includes some rather detailed bickering about my previous experiences with sound equipment.

Amplifier: Topping Amp TP20

Source: M-Audio Revolution soundcard

Budget: 15-30k. Prefer buying used equipment as it would offer more value for money. But, hard to spot a good deal in Bangalore.

Intended purpose: 100% Music

Musical preferences:
1) Acoustic, Folk, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, Occasional Pop
2) I do NOT need my music to be loud.
3) I prefer my speakers to be non-fatiguing (allergic to high-frequency noises)
4) Warm, detailed and realistic.

Background:
Have been using a Creative Inspire 2.1 for the past 10 years. Quite nice, but have been craving for something better and failed so far in my quest for better equipment.

Got a Logitech Z5500 five years ago. The sound that was coming out felt like metallic noise to me. So, I upgraded to an M-Audio soundcard. Guess what? The speakers still sounded like crap and thus sold it within a few days. But, decided to keep the new soundcard as it sounded better on my good old creative speakers. Got an Edifier S730 earlier this year. I felt there was a hole somewhere in the mid-bass spectrum, disproportionate bass and sold it within a few days. I have lost quite a bit of money in these deals.

I also recently tried auditioning the Audioengine A5 for a short while; I found them to be a bit loud, a little brash and concluded that it was not my kinda sound. While auditioning at a dealer's place is better than buying with your eyes closed, it comes nowhere close to listening to music in my room for a substantial amount of time. That's when all the bickering, fuss and regrets start.

Although we pay more money for our equipment compared to other countries, no dealer here AFAIK offers a 30-day money back guarantee. This has been one major reason why I have kept away from going through the separate amplifier + Bookshelf route. I don't want to end up plonking 30-40k on amp+BS and stay sleepless until I sell it off for a fraction of the price.

However, psychotropic's experiments with the Topping TP20 Amp with Cambridge Audio S30 has given me new hope. So, I have placed an order for the aforesaid amp on ebay. Since Cambridge audio and creative are owned by the same group, I am hoping the sound will suit my preferences. I understand that Topping TP20 will need speakers with the following qualities:

1) Highly efficient (sensitivity>89db)
2) not too much of an impedance drop (shouldn't go below 4 ohms)

While I will audition the S30 this week, I am looking for alternatives. Based on online research (endless Google-ing) and my gut instinct (freewheeling, random notions devoid of real-world logic), I have shortlisted a few speakers:

1) Cambridge Audio S30 -10k (Audio Planet, Bangalore)
2) Axiom Audio M3 -31k (direct shipping from Canada with 30-day money back guarantee)
3) Usher S520 - 25k (ARN systems, Bangalore)
4) Focal/JM Labs Chorus 706V -25k (hopefully online used market)
5) Epos (used BS within my budget, just wishful thinking really)

What I really want more than an awesome pair of speakers is, NOT ending up with something I despise. If I don't like something, it has to be out of my house immediately. I'm fussy like that. :indifferent14:

Sorry about the long post, but someone please stop me from making yet another mistake!

@theredcommando: Mate, I guess it's time we met up. How does tomorrow work for you? I really want to give the S30 another listen albeit with better source and amplification. Also let's try and give the topping a fair chance to perform with a better source.

As jaudere pointed out its very likely room response and/or some hump around 100-150 mark which is irritating could be a bad speaker too (I recently had a distorting PSB Image B4 at precisely 310-330 and nowhere else) it took us a while to figure out what precisely was issue and some test tracks at various frequencies helped nailed the issue. Or it could be the amp as well. You can probably try the trick (I forgot exactly what that was) Omishra and jaudere recommended to someone.

There are 8 reviews for this speaker and I guess 8 reviews are enough to judge it's potential and all the 8 reviews are positive.
abhi_jollyguy, Dont you deal in Swan speakers( hifinage right?)? Why dont you arrange an audition for some HFV members. That will finally get the Swan speakers the recognition they deserve.

abhi_jollyguy, Dont you deal in Swan speakers( hifinage right?)? Why dont you arrange an audition for some HFV members. That will finally get the Swan speakers the recognition they deserve.

Exactly what I've been requesting for some time now.
(PS: I am Sarang at TE)

Unfortunately, we cannot offer audition of Swans speakers at the moment but we are planning to do so in near future as it has been only few months we started dealing in swans speakers and we are also getting renowned portable audio at hifinage.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer audition of Swans speakers at the moment but we are planning to do so in near future as it has been only few months we started dealing in swans speakers and we are also getting renowned portable audio at hifinage.

Abhi, the problem is unless some forum members have actually heard the equipment in question, it becomes really difficult to recommend the equipment. You being the importer/dealer of the same brand naturally puts prospective buyers into dilemma about how far to believe in your words. It's none of your or the buyers' fault, its just how human psyche works. :)

A lot of old forum members here and on TE know you and your audio journey and hence are comfortable looking at your "product push", however it may look like pimping the wares someone who is new here. (Sincere feedback from a personal discussion with someone following a thread on TE).

I understand it would be tough for someone just starting out to provide demo equipment in all parts of ridiculously large geography as ours. However, if you could request your current buyers to accommodate a short listen to fellow FMs in that city things "might" work out a bit.

Alternately if you are serious about your business with Swan you can try visiting the major cities and holding Demos for a day where FMs could come and appreciate the equipment. Knowing this forum and community I am sure at most of the places people would love to host you and other FMs coming to listen to your gear.

Please give it a serious thought.

I understand it would be tough for someone just starting out to provide demo equipment in all parts of ridiculously large geography as ours. However, if you could request your current buyers to accommodate a short listen to fellow FMs in that city things "might" work out a bit.

Alternately if you are serious about your business with Swan you can try visiting the major cities and holding Demos for a day where FMs could come and appreciate the equipment. Knowing this forum and community I am sure at most of the places people would love to host you and other FMs coming to listen to your gear.

Please give it a serious thought.

Thank you for your understanding :) It's true that it is really difficult to provide demo to many users of different cities. We wish if we could accommodate our current buyers to provide demo to FM's of HFV but to do this, we need to call them and force them which we really cannot do forcefully. If we say him that kindly provide demo of your speaker set to these guys as they are from this forum so they may think that why are we saying him to do so, who are those guys and all. So it all comes to their privacy and we are bound here not to disclose anyone's privacy.

We are definitely serious about our business and carrying each and every model of Swans speaker to different cities is nearly impossible. These speakers are big and huge(bookshelves). They are very heavy and we need to pay courier charges even when these speaker are not sold to anyone.

What we can do is to provide in-home audition with an 15% restocking fee if there are some signs of wear and abuse. But this option will take some time.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back