Stereo Setup Suggestions

nik

Hi guys have been a longtime follower of the forum, now I've finally decided to get myself a stereo system and could really use your inputs.
Requirement: Amp + Speakers
Music Listened to : Vocal Trance, EDM & Fusion Music
Budget :50K Approx
Room size: 11 x 13 ft
DAC & Sub to be bought later.

Amps Shortlisted (Require a sub out for future sub)
Onkyo A-9030
Yamaha A-S500

Speakers Shortlisted:
Diamaond 220
Q Acoustic 2020i

Id really appreciate your inputs and other recommendations.

Hi guys have been a longtime follower of the forum, now I've finally decided to get myself a stereo system and could really use your inputs.
Requirement: Amp + Speakers
Music Listened to : Vocal Trance, EDM & Fusion Music
Budget :50K Approx
Room size: 11 x 13 ft
DAC & Sub to be bought later.

Amps Shortlisted (Require a sub out for future sub)
Onkyo A-9030
Yamaha A-S500

Speakers Shortlisted:
Diamaond 220
Q Acoustic 2020i

Id really appreciate your inputs and other recommendations.

If you want to buy Onkyo, go for A-9050, because it has a DAC, and for that matter you may not need separate DAC.

If you want to buy Yamaha A-S500, I'd tell you to go for A-S501, because it has a DAC, and for that matter you may not need separate DAC; but A-S501 is not yet available in India.

But if I am given a choice between A-9030 and A-S500, I'll go for Yamaha A-S500.

For speakers, I will go for Q Acoustic 2020i. If you can increase your budget slightly, then go for Dali Zensor 3. You may also try Boston Acoustics A 26.
First, you buy the amp, then start auditioning speakers with the amp and then select the speaker.

Happy Listening :clapping:

Thanks Guys. How much do the Dali Zensor 3 Cost ?
Also how would you rate the CA TOPAZ SR 10.
I prefer going in for a External DAC as it gives me more options to upgrade/switch :)

Thanks Guys. How much do the Dali Zensor 3 Cost ?
Also how would you rate the CA TOPAZ SR 10.
I prefer going in for a External DAC as it gives me more options to upgrade/switch :)

Dali Zensor 3 is priced around 32.5K (max retail price)but use you haggling skill and you may(must) get it within 29K
Ragarding CA Topaz SR 10 ---It is actually a stereo receiver. Sound is very thin. I don't recommend it

My suggestion will be to concentrate on speakers first and buy what sounds best to you and is within your budget. They will make the most difference in perceived sound quality. Then what is left buy an amp with as many features as your budget allows. Focus on amp power and sound quality. Try not to fall into temptation of buying an over powered amp just in case you get occasional +20 db dynamic peak. Listen to the amp at reasonably loud lebels that you will use it at home and if the amp can deliver that and has some extra juice left then it is good for you. Features like DAC can be added later when budget permits. Don't waste money on expensive cables or other dealer sold stuff. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Hi all I have got marantz sr 5008 with two jbl 4312 ebk speakers . But only when I increase the volume to 40 I start to get music.
Are these speaker comparable to my marantz if no any solution

Hi Nik
Because you are on a tight budget and this is your first setup, go slow.

Start by going and auditioning a few setups to see what speakers sound good for your ears.
I would suggest you spend most of the 50k (or more if possible) to get a pair of 2 way bookshelf speakers (not satellite or cube versions)

The speakers are your most key component in the chain so work backwards and finalise them first.
The choice of speakers will primarily depend on the type of music you listen to and the kind of listening you will do most of the time.

Once speakers are set, get a
Reasonably decent amplifier.
As someone pointed out, the Yamaha A-S500 is a reasonably good entry level integrated amplifier. But, this will cost 30k INR (read somewhere on this forum)
This will not fit into your budget so I suggest looking on the forum for a used receiver that packs 50watts per channel. 50 watts maybe sounding very less but remember, this will be your first amp and mostly will be sold off after a year when you have comfort feeling and wish to upgrade.

For wiring between speakers and amplifier, you can start with even the electrical wire and don't need high end wires.

Now the source you will play the music from, just use your existing DVD or VCD player. If you have a optical or coaxial out from the player, then you can connect the player to the receiver using the applicable cable. If the player has only RCA outputs, you can buy a reasonable RCA cable from any electronics shop. Again, don't bother with buying an expensive cable at this point.

This will allow you to get a decent setup that will help experience the stereo world.

Cheers

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it. Auditioned the Polk Rti A1 & A3
with the Denon PMA 720-AE but found the speakers to be bright and not to my liking.
Will be auditioning Q acoustics & Wharfedale's this week.
Will keep you guys posted !

One speaker that I liked and was not that expensive was B&W 685s2. They are here for $700 a pair so should be about 40k in india. Other than speakers and amp the next place I feel it is worth spending money is to convert as much as you signal path to digital as possible inexpensively. That reduces noise and hums that invariably gets into the system. Also this solve the problem of matching levels between CD and amp inputs and resultant possible preamp clipping. Also to my ears converting the signal to analog and then sending it to amp often takes away some high frequency component from it and you loose a bit of sharpness that is very obvious if your speakers are capable of producing that high a frequency clearly.

But don't waste money on expensive DACs. Buy an optical cable or digital RCA cable if your cd is capable.

Good listening.

Do also audition speakers with drivers above 5" - see if you like that bass response.
I mean i have q acoustics 2020i and need to increase bass in movies and club songs, in which case i have to disconnect Source Direct mode which i like.

Have you looked at Axiom Audio speakers?
They have a 30 day at your home trail.
All you can loose is shipping back which is not much.

One speaker that I liked and was not that expensive was B&W 685s2. They are here for $700 a pair so should be about 40k in india. Other than speakers and amp the next place I feel it is worth spending money is to convert as much as you signal path to digital as possible inexpensively. That reduces noise and hums that invariably gets into the system. Also this solve the problem of matching levels between CD and amp inputs and resultant possible preamp clipping. Also to my ears converting the signal to analog and then sending it to amp often takes away some high frequency component from it and you loose a bit of sharpness that is very obvious if your speakers are capable of producing that high a frequency clearly.

But don't waste money on expensive DACs. Buy an optical cable or digital RCA cable if your cd is capable.

Good listening.

The problem of loosing some HF details can occur only if you further process the signal in the receiver. This will convert back to digital, process and again convert to analog. Therefore loosing some detail.
Set the receiver to direct mode and this should be no problem feeding analog signals to a receiver.

Why do you say here is a problem of matching amp/preamp signals?
In this case the OPA may go for a receiver. So no question of matching

Last edited:
@shkumar4963 even though I would love to get the B&W, 40K is a tad too much for me right now to spend on speakers, as ill probably have to wait a while till I can get a good amp to match them!
The reason I want to get a DAC is that most of my music is in FLAC stored on my hard disk which is gonna be played off a HTPC, I will probably never be using a CD player.

@humblebee- I will be adding a sub to the setup pretty soon so I think the bass would be taken care of. Just out of curiosity what amp/receiver are you using with your speakers ?

@Rastapopulus This is the first time Ive heard of Axiom Audio, where would they be available ?

Just go to the website.
Axiomaudio.com
Or google for the name.
The reviews are uniformly good.
Also, I tried this brand and quiet satisfied. For the record, I was using a Mirage floorstander before the axiom audio speakers and feel the change to axiom improved imaging and soundstage.

Axiom speakers will cost you around 30k of you go for the M3 brand new.
You can check their options of factory outlet which is about 10-20% discounted.
If you are adventurous you can check their B stock also.

If you want something to play loud with good bass and affordable, then try looking up for Cerwin Vega speakers. They won't have a return policy though. But a very famous brand since decades for playing loud and punchy [emoji51]

They are not the most resolving speakers though but good if the aim is club type sound.
Google for Crown amplifiers which will match well with them

Sorry for all the separate posts.
Another option you could consider is powered monitors.

Basically these are active speakers and do not need a separate amplifier.
Look for Emotiva stealth. They also have a 30 day return policy and ship worldwide.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back