Strange No Disk Error

madbullram

Hi all,
I have been miffed by my 4750 DVD not reading DVDs and displays No Disk. WHy this is strange is, it plays all pirated DVDs like Sex and City series, plays my Brand new original SPidey 3, Pirates etc but wont play T2 Ultimate Edition or I Am Legend which used to play a month back.

I tried the same DVDs (T2 and I Am Legend) on another Philips DVD player and it plays.

What could be the problem???

Hi all,
I have been miffed by my 4750 DVD not reading DVDs and displays No Disk. WHy this is strange is, it plays all pirated DVDs like Sex and City series, plays my Brand new original SPidey 3, Pirates etc but wont play T2 Ultimate Edition or I Am Legend which used to play a month back.

I tried the same DVDs (T2 and I Am Legend) on another Philips DVD player and it plays.

What could be the problem???

If it played them before then might be the lens needs cleaning...

But it plays other DVDs like Spiderman etc.

Its a peculiar quirk, but I have had no disc error fixed with lens cleaning and yes even I have had this error where it plays other discs fine, but not a specific one. It may not be the problem, but you should still give it a try and see if it fixes things.

I tried cleaning but no use. My cleaner is 2 yrs old, I will buy a new one try it :( Hope that solves it. I was so looking forward to try the THX optimizer in T2 ultimate edition and fine tune my HTiB

1. Is your DVD player (pls don't call it DVD, at least on this
forum
:)) region locked?
If yes, check the disk region and confirm if they match.

2. Clean the DVD with a soft cloth.

3. Remove static charge from the disk. I use the puff from the record cleaner on CDs that are not recognized on my NAD CD player. It works each time.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

1. Is your DVD player (pls don't call it DVD, at least on this
forum
:)) region locked?
If yes, check the disk region and confirm if they match.

2. Clean the DVD with a soft cloth.

3. Remove static charge from the disk. I use the puff from the record cleaner on CDs that are not recognized on my NAD CD player. It works each time.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

1. LOL, point taken. Will call it DVD player. Was so frustrated just lost it. Its not region locked thats the first thing I changed ;)

2. I did

3. Will try

Just bought a Philips DVD cleaner for 175 rs, will try and post the result.

I guess two things,

The lens is not reading Dual layer or DVD T2 ultimate suggest it can be HD DVD.Pls check as I saw new DVDs of different codecs(mkv?)

To make regionfree try this-
http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...dvp-5982-dvd-player-how-make-region-free.html

I didnt mention as Philips players are generally Regionfree.

Nope it aint HD. Also, the DVD was well playing 1.5 months back before I left to US. Only thing I didnt realize it had the THX optimizer in it which i found while shopping in US. So wanted to try the thx OPTIMIZER in T2 and this cropped up.

What is strange if that only delected DVDs are not recognized. All pirated DVDs work like charm and 60% of original DVDs work well. Only certain DVDs dont. I tried to see some similarities between the non-recognizaed DVDs but couldn't find any as they are from different production houses and some with Dolby some with DTS some THX certified.

Guys,
I bought Philips DVD cleaner and cleaned it ten times. Now the DVD player plays all Pirated DVDs, Music CDs, Divx cd et all EXCEPT original DVDs. None of the original DVDs are playing.

Only option left is to open the player and try cleaning the laser with alcohol and buds else take it to Philips :mad:

Guys,
I bought Philips DVD cleaner and cleaned it ten times. Now the DVD player plays all Pirated DVDs, Music CDs, Divx cd et all EXCEPT original DVDs. None of the original DVDs are playing.

Only option left is to open the player and try cleaning the laser with alcohol and buds else take it to Philips :mad:

How many days have you used player?
If it is more than one year,chance of lens becoming old is more and it is not reading.
dual layer disc.Many Original movies come with Dualrayers.Changing lens is only way.

Hi
What is exact model number?
This is illlogical solution
1) From Net find out "cracks" to make region free.
2) Follow the cracks
3) Try disks again

ls let me know the results...
Hemant

Hi
What is exact model number?
This is illlogical solution
1) From Net find out "cracks" to make region free.
2) Follow the cracks
3) Try disks again

ls let me know the results...
Hemant

Mate,
Its already region free (region 0). I cracked it the day I bought the system :(
Plus, confirmed it now, it plays all old original DVDs like Edward Scissor Hands etc but not the new DL DVDs. :(

Cheers!

Last edited:
Guys,
I was totally flummoxed today. You all know my Philips DVD wasnt playing Original Dual Layer DVDs. Last night i decided to use my PS2 as the DVD player and connect it to my Plasma and HTiB.

I popped in T2 Ultimate Edition and did the THX optimization test. COmpleted it, and then I loaded the disk in my Philips DVD player. And VOILA it recognized the DVD and played perfectly,

Curious, I loaded the Spidey 3 Original DVD in Philips DVD player. It did not recognize it. Then I loaded Spidey to PS2 and played for 2 mins, then removed it from PS2 loaded to Philips DVD Player. Voila, it recognized and played well.

Even more curious, I loaded Bourne Supremacy D/L DVD to my Philips DVD player. It did not recognize so loaded in PS2 played for 2 mins and again loaded to my Philips DVD Player and it played perfectly.

Now whenever I play D/L DVDs on PS2 and then play on my Philips it plays well.

I am totally at loss for an answer. Whats happening here :D:(:eek:

I am totally at loss for an answer. Whats happening here :D:(:eek:

Technology gone mad? Even I am at a loss, but glad you have found a solution. Was just thinking of this problem yesterday evening and wondering if it had been sorted... and here you are the very next day.

Seriously I am totally confused. Now it will play 2 disks without putting in PS2, third disk it wont recognize. When I play for 2 mins in PS2 and then pop it it recognizes.

This happens only for D/L DVDs all other work perfectly fine.

I have some similar experiences, as mentioned earlier.
I had not been using the NAD 521 CD player in the bedroom too often. So it had become very finicky about which CDs it would play. For about 10 days, it would refuse to play any CD till I first loaded and played a particular Geeta Dutt CD for a few seconds. My daughter was quite fond of the first song on that CD and used to comment that the CD player likes that song too. Then I started using the anti-static puff from the LP record cleaner on CDs before putting them in, and everything would work like magic. Finally, all the problems are gone and all CDs work fine. I think it was some kind of a static charge or dust on the lens. Now that I have moved the NAD C372 amp to the bedroom and use the setup quite often, all the problems are gone.

Thanks,
Sharad

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back