Strange problem with TT - I hear echo

anm

First, the good news - the person I gave my TT (technics sl 1700) to has fixed the speed control issue. As someone (I think hiten) suggested, it was a faulty pot that he replaced.

Now the bad news - when a record is playing, along with the line which the singer is currently singing, I can also hear the line he sang a couple of seconds back. He tried with 2 MM cartridges. These carts/ needles are not very high quality. I have the shure 97xe lying around, but I don't wanna put it on this TT till the problem is resolved.
Does anyone has an idea what could be causing this problem? Is it some cart alignment issue, or the arm is screwed up, or what?

While this is with him, shall I also get the arm disassembled, lubed or anything that might require attention?

This could be due to the poor quality of the cartridge or mis-alignment of your tonearm. Check the balance weight at the end of the tonearm.

I got a call from him saying he has put in a new cartridge and now it is sounding fine. I need to check myself though. I hope my vinyl journey will take off to newer heights from here. I have to put in the shure cart now.

I hope my vinyl journey will take off to newer heights from here.

IT WILL NOT -

talk to stevieboy (a member of our forum) and get a NEW turntable-

i have wasted enough money trying to refurbish a (supposedly) fantastic Dual turntable.

regds suri

IT WILL NOT -

talk to stevieboy (a member of our forum) and get a NEW turntable-

i have wasted enough money trying to refurbish a (supposedly) fantastic Dual turntable.

regds suri

i agree with suri anm. stop wasting time on junk.

waiting for stevieboy to jump in!

well the TT is back to me, the speed is perfect now. That person has put in another cartridge as a make shift till I put this shure cart in. Hope to get the cart set by end of next week.

I think this thread can be closed as the echo issue is resolved. Will start another thread about my adventures with cart alignment. But suri/ mavai/ stevieboy we can build on the discussion on what should I buy. I was thinking of getting even older stuff like a thoren or garrard - but maybe that too would be junk?

oh, and interestingly, this repair guy too talked about using fevicol to clean the records :) Good thing about him is that instead of jumping on an opportunity to make money out of my requests to change cables etc, he would say the current ones are fine, why do u want to change it?
Thanks avidyarthi for the reference.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back