Streamer + speakers/HTIB + LCD TV

greatmj

Before suggesting anything, keep in mind these will be bought from parents' pockets. hence i need to go as low as possible on budget! :)

Im interested in a basic sound setup. I'm an audiophile but not a rich fag. Hence my iPod earphones do for the time being. This is what I'm planning:

-A streamer - <=5k - possibly the Asus O!play HDP R1, ebay price 4.5k

-Onkyo 5.1 or 7.1 HTIB/Speakers :15k-24k range
my eyes on HT528 and 3305, 20k and 23k, both on futurebazaar. HOWEVER, naaptol suggests a price of ~18k on 3305!

-A philips Full HD 32" LCD TV- getting it on futurebazaar for 30k

My room has no soundproofing. ~ 5m x 7.5m. New Delhi.

1. I'm confused - If i get only, say, 5.1 speakers(those that come without a receiver), can i get those to work with the streamer? if yes, what'll be the limitations?(essentially, I have no clue about the necessity of a receiver altogether. )

2. please suggest the best choices for HTIB or Speakers under 25k

3. What's with the naaptol prices? are those worth referring to?

4. Can you suggest places to get/audition these, Online or otherwise?

Thank a mil in advance!

1. I'm confused - If i get only, say, 5.1 speakers(those that come without a receiver), can i get those to work with the streamer? if yes, what'll be the limitations?(essentially, I have no clue about the necessity of a receiver altogether. )

No, A 5 channel Amp is required to Drive Speakers, Receiver has a Amp Built in. Streamer gives 2 channel Analog and not 5.1 . ( Some high end do give but regular one dont).

2. please suggest the best choices for HTIB or Speakers under 25k

Onkyo 3300

3. What's with the naaptol prices? are those worth referring to?

No

4. Can you suggest places to get/audition these, Online or otherwise?

Snob Shop MGF mall , Gurgaon and Top Gizmos Noida.

Let me give you some Choices that can save money.

Go for Samsung Full HD tv, A need for streamer will not be there, ( Unless you stream from PC) . It plays clips from HDD from its USB port.

Designed to suit your style Samsung LCD TV Series - LA32C550J1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Price 39000 but you can get it for low.

Buy Logitech Z5500 Speakers, They have a Optical in and Co Axial In also 3 RCA in, That acts as a simple receiver and an Amplifier. With a good sub and 5 sattelities speakers.

This model is out now but available on Ebay or from a nearby Computer store. You can try Nehru Place.

z5500 | eBay
Connections would be like this.

TV > Optical > Logitech Z5500.
TV will Play Clips from HDD

TV also has DLNA so with a software on you PC you can stream Video and Audio from TV ltself.

I am Assuming MRP

39K + 17K = 56K

Your estimate from Top = 4.5K + 24K + 30K = 58.5K

Samsung LCD is superior than Philips and After sales is also good. Philips Service is handled by Videocon .

Beware this is a cheaper option than Getting a TV + Receiver + Speakers + HD Player but will serve you purpose for now , and will save money.

In case of any more help PM me, I am from Delhi too and am Happy to help.

Thanks Jatin!!! :):)

I'm pretty sure computer empire or costtocost can get the z5500 speakers for a good price.

However, if i am able get the onkyo 3305 for ~20k, would you rather i by those? if not, why? because if stretching the budget by 3k increases the audio quality, im ready to do so.

Where can I find the full format list supported by the TV? and again, how is this TV better than the Philips one? (http://www.futurebazaar.com/Product/Electronic+Deals/TVs/Philips+32PFL5505+32+inches+LCD+TV/2451897) There's another similar samsung tv available - http://www.futurebazaar.com/Product/Electronic+Deals/TVs/Samsung+LA32C590+32+inches+LCD+TV/2451901
Guide me, please. Btw, do you reckon I'd be able to get these for a better price at physical stores?

Thanks again for such prompt response! :)

@Jatin: I think i will have to buy a streamer cuz im not sure whether the HDTV can play directly formats like mkv and BD ISO etc. What do you think?

@Jatin: I think i will have to buy a streamer cuz im not sure whether the HDTV can play directly formats like mkv and BD ISO etc. What do you think?

You have to understand that MKV is a container , it contains a Video strem, Audio stream and a subtitle stream. It is not a codec, These streams are encoded with a codec.

There will never be a complete list as there are so many encoding standards.

Samsung TV, i have personally seen to play most of MKV container files. YOu can buy a HD player later if you want or if tv doesn't plays file well.

Do you really want BD ISO ? Anyway you can check at Tata Chrome / e zone / Samsung showroom with a pen drive with Clips what you want to play. Easy

To me Samsung would be better than Philips.
samsung on Future bazar says it has Optical out but Samsung website say;s it doesnt. It does not has DLNA too. Just better speakers, Stay Away.

Designed to suit your style Samsung LCD TV Series - LA32C590H1R - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

3305 would be a good option over Logi Speakers

Where are you getting 3305 for 20 K , One of my friend is also looking for same. May be you can buy together to get more discount

Physical stores may or may not give best price. depends on your Nego skills.

Last edited:
TV:
I've to decide between Samsung LA32C590 and LA32D550(2-3 variants further in 550). Can You please suggest? I couldnt decide which one is better.
Both are available at a diff of 1k, 590 being the cheaper one.

Last edited:
A 32 inch lcd tv wont do you any good.go for at least a 40 inch lcd.you can get one for 45k

It'll have to. Or, I'll make it. :)
Why? Simple. My parents are ready to spend only 30-32k for a TV. That is already too much for them. I can get myself a 40+ screen once I earn. Plus, I've been living on my '98 LG 21" CRT. It's :yahoo: enough for now for me! :)

Where are you getting 3305 for 20 K , One of my friend is also looking for same. May be you can buy together to get more discount

ezone now has it for a few more days for 20k. Worth buying?

It also has 3100 for 15k. how does this stack up against 3305? :S

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back