streaming 4k videos from NAS (samba share) on android tv (hisense a71f 55inch).

Yup, same thing happened with me. TV says Dolby surround, it has HDMI ARC and optical out. But no matter what I used (HDMI or Optical), I could not get it to output 5.1. I contacted Vu support (these things are a joke BTW, I contacted only as a last resort since there isn't much information online about smaller brands like these). After some back and forth, trying to explain what an AVR was and why my speakers needed to be connected to it, they finally spoke to someone senior and advised me to select Passthrough mode. Which, surprise surprise..., was not present on my TV. Then they asked me to update firmware, which I did. The option still did not appear. After this they stopped responding. And this was when my TV was within warranty, which was the first thing they confirmed. If my TV had been out of warranty, they wouldn't have responded at all.

So scour your television's settings to see if you have an option called passthrough/bitstream. If not, then you're out of luck.
You can try setting the output to PCM or Dolby Surround if those options are present. Maybe you'll be luckier than me in this department.

For me, the solution was simple, get a Fire Stick and connect it directly to the AVR. In your case, since you don't have an AVR, you might have to fall back to the PC for true surround experience (which is slightly overrated, TBH).

So scour your television's settings to see if you have an option called passthrough/bitstream. If not, then you're out of luck.
You can try setting the output to PCM or Dolby Surround if those options are present. Maybe you'll be luckier than me in this department.

For me, the solution was simple, get a Fire Stick and connect it directly to the AVR. In your case, since you don't have an AVR, you might have to fall back to the PC for true surround experience (which is slightly overrated, TBH).
I do have Settings->Sound>Advanced Settings-> Digital Audio Out and in that options,

Auto
Pass Through
PCM
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus

I tried each of them.
Auto, Pass Through and PCM outputs sound to all speakers but not true 5.1
Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus enhance the sound little bit but sound outputs to Front two speakers only.

I have replied hisense customer support about the same, they assigned a technician visit.
But as you mentioned, I also don't think technician can really do any thing.
May be their OS development team need to enable it at OS level.

As per Dolby Website Dolby Digital support 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus support 7.1
These two present in the TV means, they got to be certified by Dolby right? May be these options work only on HDMI ARC with a proper AV receiver only.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    951.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
These two present in the TV means, they got to be certified by Dolby right? May be these options work only on HDMI ARC with a proper AV receiver
That's what I thought too. But it didn't work for me even with HDMI ARC and AVR.

Dolby certified only means the TV can decode dolby audio, nothing else.

But I'm surprised it didn't work in passthrough mode as either. For me, that option wasn't present at all. For you it's there and it still doesn't work. Goes to show why these are cheap brands.

they assigned a technician visit
Good luck trying to make him understand the issue, lol..

But before you buy this, you'll need to ensure that your TV is capable of outputting 5.1 channel audio over optical cable. As surprising as it may sound, my "Dolby certified" TV would only output stereo sound over optical cable. So you can't always be certain. Look for reviews on YouTube or read the spec sheet to find out. There's no sure shot way.
I can now confirm that, Hisense A71F tv does output 5.1 correctly via optical.
But it depends on what codec audio is encoded and what player we use.
More details at https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-model-hisense-tvs-at-all.89568/#post-1005480

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back