Subwoofer for 25k

sujithblaze

HI,
I am currently looking for a subwoofer my budget is 25k, i have a denon x1000 and andrew jones 5.0 setup now, found a speakercraft sub for 20k in avenue sound, have any of you heard abt speaker craft subwoofers, how are they, the specs says its 250 watts rms with 28-150hz freq response

At that price your best bet is BIC America F12. If you can strech your budget a bit more then velodyne impact 10 is another good option. No idea about the sub you mentioned.
On another note, I am considering to get the same AJ speakers as yours and would really appreciate if you could share your experience regarding your setup.

Hi incognito1235 ,
Even i considered the bic f12 and acoustech H100ii but the issue is that though they are rated at 150 watts rms, the sensitivity seems to be on the lower side only 90 db, their pl200 has a sensitivity of 110 db which would be just pure awesomeness, and regarding the AJ's i am very much impressed with these, if you are not a bass junkie you dont need a sub when you have Aj's, they produce enough punch, but yes u will miss out on explosions , or real deep rumbles from transformers, i got the 5.0 set for 35k, which i guess was a really gud price, yes there are better speakers, but they would cost more atleast 40 k for the towers alone, so for the price that you are paying they are fully worth it.

was offered svs pb1000 for 45k and velodyne impact 12 for 34 k, or should i get the bic f12 for 31k, guys help me out

You can even consider the Polk Audio DSW Pro 550wi.
Its a 10" driver and performs well in both movies as well as music. Falls a little above your budget.

i have heard the polk psw110 think its not worth the price, the bass response is ordinary, i like really deep bass
was also considering building a sub by getting a ground zero sub with an amp(car audio stuff), but im confused as the sub woofers used in cars are normally 2-4 ohms and i wonder if hooking it up with my denon case any damage to my denon x1000

Last edited:
Considering price its not bad at all. You need a higher budget to get the most out of the subwoofer. As far as building a subwoofer goes. Car audio subwoofers are passive and require an external amplifier. So in no way it will be damaging your denon reciever. The velodyne impact 10 will be really good. As for deep bass. Suggest you have a listen to jamo sub260 or 360 which you find better acvording to budget. Have heard it and its really good. Not heard a comparison between velodyne and jamo. Just assume that velodyne is better seeing the high ratings it gets from users and hfv fms.

thanks rayvonnee,
I am willing to extend my budget a bit, could you give me some suggestions, and yes i know that car subwoofers are passive and needs an amp, but my question was most of em are rated at 4 ohms or 2 ohms, whereas most home audio speakers are 4-8 ohms in my case the aj's are 6 ohms, I have head the velodyne impact 12 and was impressed with it, but only heard one song, so dont know how i would perform with real deep bass, the ratings are 40hz-200 hz, my fronts are rated at 40 hz so i need a sub which goes below 30

thanks rayvonnee,
i know that car subwoofers are passive and needs an amp, but my question was most of em are rated at 4 ohms or 2 ohms, whereas most home audio speakers are 4-8 ohms in my case the aj's are 6 ohms,

Most Subwoofer drivers are 4 ohms including the ones used at home . However since home subs use their own amps. the impedance does not matter

You will be better off getting yourself a 12" Peerless driver or any other alternative and mate it with a Budget plate amp.

If you have the know how build a ported sub for higher SPL and to dig a little lower in freq

Building a subwoofer seems to be easy but its not. Requires lots of precision and lots of research work. Perfect measurements.....etc. Check SVS PB-1000. maybe you will spend double but this may be the product you may be wanting. Take an audition and see. If deep bass is all you need and low on budget, just have a look at telome subwoofers : http://www.telomeaudio.com/site/images/addons03.pdf
dealers location
Had auditioned these and they had chest thumping bass. They have 4 - 6.5inch subwoofer drivers inside a single enclosure.

thanks everyone,
svs is out of my budget, but i really liked it, good clean deep bass, and that too from a 10 inch sub perfect compact size too, the prob with wharfedale is that yes they do make some gud speakers, but im not too sure abt their sub woofers, and moreover the sw150 would cost me 32k (hifimart price) and for 31 k i would get the f12 which is 250 watts, and the freq response is also much lower than wharedale(35hz ) vs 28hz(f12), and moreover i don't like bass that hits hard, i like the really low deep rumblings

thanks everyone,
svs is out of my budget, but i really liked it, good clean deep bass, and that too from a 10 inch sub perfect compact size too, the prob with wharfedale is that yes they do make some gud speakers, but im not too sure abt their sub woofers, and moreover the sw150 would cost me 32k (hifimart price) and for 31 k i would get the f12 which is 250 watts, and the freq response is also much lower than wharedale(35hz ) vs 28hz(f12), and moreover i don't like bass that hits hard, i like the really low deep rumblings

Sujith .

What you want is something that is very difficult to achieve with a limited budget .

also note that in room response will be lower than what is quoted by most speaker manufactures

When it comes to Subs ... Less is More .... The less heard is better... What i deduce is that you want to feel the bass and not hear it . In this case you need a sub that should be able to go low really low sub 20 - 22hz . The human hear cant hear much below this freq and you would feel most of the sound .

Subs that go down to 12 - 18 hz are expensive Rythmik Audio comes to mind and so does some models from SVS / HSU , REL, Jl Audio etc

But then you have to dig pretty deep into your pocket to get there .. On a limited budget I guess you can visit dealers and audition subs and then take your call on which sub you like . Do give Sunfire a go as well during your auditions .

If you are looking for F12, you can check it in grabmore.in (price : 25k+). Dealt with them once on some other things, they seems fine.

Thanks for the info Krishna. Do we have to use the step down transformer for items buying from this site, for e.g. this SW, or will it come converted?

You have to take care of 120V to 220V conversion. There was some discussion on how to change BIC F12 from 110V to 220V. It seems very simple to convert it. Please check on BIC F12 old threads.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back