Subwoofer for stereo setup

I have the same speakers and initially was pretty satisfied with the bass for music.

However, after getting my REL sub, I just cant listen to them without the sub on.

They add so much character, depth and structure to the sound.

Makes the music 10x enjoyable so getting a sub eventually is a no brainer for me
agree. I have a REL too with a stereo setup

I recently bought the REL T ZERO MKIII and am very satisfied with it. Primarily I listen to jazz, but my amp is an AV receiver so the REL serves double duty for my OTT stuff too. The REL T ZERO is small but sufficient for my requirements. My room size is about the same as yours.

I recently bought the REL T ZERO MKIII and am very satisfied with it. Primarily I listen to jazz, but my amp is an AV receiver so the REL serves double duty for my OTT stuff too. The REL T ZERO is small but sufficient for my requirements. My room size is about the same as yours.
What primarily is the source of music?? CD player? Turntable or streaming?

My current setup is Elac debut 2.0 b62 speakers paired with SMSL A300 class D amplifier. Source is computer/PS5. Usage is 50% music ,30% games and 20% movies. Room size is 20×15ft.
SMSL A300 has a subwoofer out.
So please suggest a subwoofer which will pair well with my setup. Thanks
So have you decided on anything??
If you haven't bought anything so far
I have REL t5x if you are interested...

I recently got a PSB sub series 250. I had tried a REL and KEF before in the same room. Had also tried a Q acoustics qb12. I was only looking at sealed options

The REL blended superbly but barely made a difference to my ATC SCM19's low end. I almost couldn't hear the sub and removing it didn't make a difference . My room is large - 22*18 so maybe it was just running out of steam.

The KEF was either not doing anything at a lower level or was booming at a higher level. It just didn't work.

The QB12 had awesome impact but it was loose - the timing suffered and the sub couldn't keep up in speed with my sealed box SCM19. There was a distinct overhang and muddiness.

Finally I tried out the PSB last week and it was just wonderful. The bass was tight, tuneful and it easily kept up with my SCM19. In fact dialing it in took exactly 5 minutes while for the others I had to do a subwoofer crawl. The fact that it has phase control from 0-180 helped a lot. All the other subs only had two options - either zero or 180.

The bass on this sub is super tight but there is impact when the content has it. It absolutely doesn't make its presence known. Also the high level inputs use standard 5way binding posts instead of the stupid speakon connector in the REL which means you can use any speaker cable. Also I prefer a high level connection over RCA as in all the above cases it integrated better. (Q acoustics doesn't have it and is probably the reason why it didn't blend properly)

Considering the price this sub is sold at, it's an absolute steal to be honest. It's just a bit more than the T5x and the specs rival the T9x. It does 25 Hz at -3dB.

I recently got a PSB sub series 250. I had tried a REL and KEF before in the same room. Had also tried a Q acoustics qb12. I was only looking at sealed options

The REL blended superbly but barely made a difference to my ATC SCM19's low end. I almost couldn't hear the sub and removing it didn't make a difference . My room is large - 22*18 so maybe it was just running out of steam.

The KEF was either not doing anything at a lower level or was booming at a higher level. It just didn't work.

The QB12 had awesome impact but it was loose - the timing suffered and the sub couldn't keep up in speed with my sealed box SCM19. There was a distinct overhang and muddiness.

Finally I tried out the PSB last week and it was just wonderful. The bass was tight, tuneful and it easily kept up with my SCM19. In fact dialing it in took exactly 5 minutes while for the others I had to do a subwoofer crawl. The fact that it has phase control from 0-180 helped a lot. All the other subs only had two options - either zero or 180.

The bass on this sub is super tight but there is impact when the content has it. It absolutely doesn't make its presence known. Also the high level inputs use standard 5way binding posts instead of the stupid speakon connector in the REL which means you can use any speaker cable. Also I prefer a high level connection over RCA as in all the above cases it integrated better. (Q acoustics doesn't have it and is probably the reason why it didn't blend properly)

Considering the price this sub is sold at, it's an absolute steal to be honest. It's just a bit more than the T5x and the specs rival the T9x. It does 25 Hz at -3dB.
Hi @reignofchaos ,

Which REL were you using? Was it as tight as the psb sub?

It didn't have enough output. I tried a pair of REL T5x subs for a while. I almost could not hear them. The single 10" PSB was tighter and had way more output than the two RELs.

Just curious, whether the T5x was completely broken in? As it goes down upto 32 hz, whereas ATC Scm19 goes down only to 54hz, I wonder how there is no perceivable difference in the bass section.

Just curious, whether the T5x was completely broken in? As it goes down upto 32 hz, whereas ATC Scm19 goes down only to 54hz, I wonder how there is no perceivable difference in the bass section.
Demo pair - not new. So I'd assume it was broken in. The differences in specs basically is that ATC are incredibly conservative with their specs but REL is not.

Demo pair - not new. So I'd assume it was broken in. The differences in specs basically is that ATC are incredibly conservative with their specs but REL is not.
Thanks for sharing your views, May I know the amp used to drive the ATCs, as the amp should have enough grunt to make them sing properly.

So, after significantly raising my budget(hoping sub will carry me for for 5-10 years), I am now looking at SVS SB 1000 Pro, is this a good choice or are there better sub in its price range? Thanks

So, after significantly raising my budget(hoping sub will carry me for for 5-10 years), I am now looking at SVS SB 1000 Pro, is this a good choice or are there better sub in its price range? Thanks
Is it for stereo or HT? If for stereo, buy the PSB or REL T9x instead.

If its more movies and less music then this will work fine or even the rel HT/1205 MKII(bit more expensive), if its the other way around then sonus faber gravis 1(similarly priced) or rel t7x(bit more expensive).

Pls check the HFV classifieds. There is a pre-owned sparingly used 15 inch HSU subwoofer for 60k . Pls check it out if possible as you are located elsewhere.

Is it for stereo or HT? If for stereo, buy the PSB or REL T9x instead.
If its more movies and less music then this will work fine or even the rel HT/1205 MKII(bit more expensive), if its the other way around then sonus faber gravis 1(similarly priced) or rel t7x(bit more expensive).
It is for a stereo setup, 50% music and 50% (movies + games)

Pls check the HFV classifieds. There is a pre-owned sparingly used 15 inch HSU subwoofer for 60k . Pls check it out if possible as you are located elsewhere.
Yeah it will be not possible to check it out in person, it does seem like a very decent option, I am tempted but wary of its age and condition.

Back