Subwoofer for stereo setup

SpaceAsh

My current setup is Elac debut 2.0 b62 speakers paired with SMSL A300 class D amplifier. Source is computer/PS5. Usage is 50% music ,30% games and 20% movies. Room size is 20×15ft.
SMSL A300 has a subwoofer out.
So please suggest a subwoofer which will pair well with my setup. Thanks

My current setup is Elac debut 2.0 b62 speakers paired with SMSL A300 class D amplifier. Source is computer/PS5. Usage is 50% music ,30% games and 20% movies. Room size is 20×15ft.
Do you feel the need for a Sub with those speakers? Those Elacs can generate decent amount of bass and to better them you need a decent sub.

If you do go in for a sub, there are few features that you should consider. The Sub should have Speaker level Input and Output. This will help you perfectly blend the speakers and sub. Having RCA input and output can also help, but its just a bit more complicated to hook up. Consider the size of the room and the spot where you will place the sub as this will decide the sub size you can fit and whether you need a sealed, down firing or a front firing sub.

MaSh

I am inclined to say, "get the one with best DSP"

Do you feel the need for a Sub with those speakers? Those Elacs can generate decent amount of bass and to better them you need a decent sub.

If you do go in for a sub, there are few features that you should consider. The Sub should have Speaker level Input and Output. This will help you perfectly blend the speakers and sub. Having RCA input and output can also help, but its just a bit more complicated to hook up. Consider the size of the room and the spot where you will place the sub as this will decide the sub size you can fit and whether you need a sealed, down firing or a front firing sub.

MaSh
Yes thats what I am trying to understand, how to select a sub that will compliment my system. I am new to all this.

Edit: I feel the bass with Elacs is decent but a little bit underwhelming, I am hoping a sub would enhance the listening experience.

Yes thats what I am trying to understand, how to select a sub that will compliment my system. I am new to all this.

Edit: I feel the bass with Elacs is decent but a little bit underwhelming, I am hoping a sub would enhance the listening experience.
Keep is simple. Get a sub that has speaker level input and output. Dimensions as per the spot you want to keep your sub in.

MaSh

Do you want boomy bass or subtle improvement in sound stage. I have a Rel 8inch and that seems to be more than enough

I think considering the Size of your room 300 sq feet and to add the fact that 50% of your program material is Movies and Games.
Deep / Impactful bass plays an important role to elevate the entire experience
You would need a capable Sub to achieve this .

Usually when the Upgrade bug sets in , We usually upgrade our Speakers and Amps /AVR's
the sub if potent enough would be something that u would not think of upgrading for several years, Basically a 1 time purchase
I understand that there are budget constraints. However u can think of deferring your purchase for a few months and then revisit with a budget that would get you a very capable Subwoofer/s with more than enough power and finesse to take care of present as well as future needs

Your room size plays an important factor in what i have quoted above .

for a room that size, you’ll need a 12 inch, preferably ported. Avoid 8 inch subs at all costs. I would recommend the Mission QX12 in your budget as it can be had for around 30-33k if you speak to dealers directly. Its a ported 12 inch with plenty of power and sufficient speed and articulation. i have it set up in a room which is a similar size to yours as smaller subs didnt suffice. Other subs that I have are the Rythmik E15HP2, Mission MS450 and dual REL T9is and i must say, the Mission QX12 holds up well in that company.

I think considering the Size of your room 300 sq feet and to add the fact that 50% of your program material is Movies and Games.
Deep / Impactful bass plays an important role to elevate the entire experience
You would need a capable Sub to achieve this .

Usually when the Upgrade bug sets in , We usually upgrade our Speakers and Amps /AVR's
the sub if potent enough would be something that u would not think of upgrading for several years, Basically a 1 time purchase
I understand that there are budget constraints. However u can think of deferring your purchase for a few months and then revisit with a budget that would get you a very capable Subwoofer/s with more than enough power and finesse to take care of present as well as future needs

Your room size plays an important factor in what i have quoted above .
So which subwoofer according to you, will suffice for my needs, if I do decide to expand my budget?

for a room that size, you’ll need a 12 inch, preferably ported. Avoid 8 inch subs at all costs. I would recommend the Mission QX12 in your budget as it can be had for around 30-33k if you speak to dealers directly. Its a ported 12 inch with plenty of power and sufficient speed and articulation. i have it set up in a room which is a similar size to yours as smaller subs didnt suffice. Other subs that I have are the Rythmik E15HP2, Mission MS450 and dual REL T9is and i must say, the Mission QX12 holds up well in that company.
Thanks I'll check'em out.

Regardless of your room size, where do you sit in this space? In front of the system, off center? Do you want to hear, feel bass when you're away from the system. This will really dictate the size of a the sub woofer you'd want to go with.

I have a 8" ported sub paired with floor stand speaker. Slightly smaller room to yours and it does the job for me. Then again, I'm after bass fill. My sub cannot over power the room no matter what I do. Forcing the sub to play louder leads to bass bloat is all.

If there is low or high pass filtering on your SMSL, you can take a pre out to the sub. Else, high level inputs only, which means the sub needs to have this too.

Budget might be the main issue. You can get a Polk Audio PSW10 for that money.
Focus on quality of sub woofer. The size and watts is of lesser importance.

High level inputs are not necessary even when a stereo amp does not have sub or pre out. One can use high to low impedance converter which is usually used in cars. It comes for under 100 bucks and does the same job as high level inputs at the back of an active sub.

Regardless of your room size, where do you sit in this space? In front of the system, off center? Do you want to hear, feel bass when you're away from the system. This will really dictate the size of a the sub woofer you'd want to go with.

I have a 8" ported sub paired with floor stand speaker. Slightly smaller room to yours and it does the job for me. Then again, I'm after bass fill. My sub cannot over power the room no matter what I do. Forcing the sub to play louder leads to bass bloat is all.

If there is low or high pass filtering on your SMSL, you can take a pre out to the sub. Else, high level inputs only, which means the sub needs to have this too.

Budget might be the main issue. You can get a Polk Audio PSW10 for that money.
Focus on quality of sub woofer. The size and watts is of lesser importance.
I mostly use the system in front and centered.
But I do like the idea of a sub that wont have to be upgraded atleast for a few years even if I upgrade rest of my system, so I might wait and expand my budget a bit.
SMSL A300 does have a high frequency filter.
Cut off frequency is around 80 Hz.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back