Successful completion of Arm Pod for Lenco L 75

kuruvilajacob

I am excited that I could complete successfully my first attempt to make a separate arm pod on a modified L 75. But it works best when placed on the floor perhaps due to resonance being least on the floor. I cannot say if it sounds better when the arm was attached to the original plinth as the player was not modified at that time. I have a Jelco arm in my arm pod. I will be experimenting the placement of the player on different surfaces before I can feed you with more info. right now , I have a Shure 97 XE cart on it. It's performance on the floor was good with decent sound stage and good detailing. I am waiting for some friends to come and give their reviews. I am posting some pics. BTW, i picked up the Arm pod from a scrapyard ! I have no idea what it must been in it's glory days! I hope it is destined to bring more glory in future!

Last edited:
Nice job.:clapping::clapping::clapping: How are u maintaining precise spindle to pivot distance? Awaiting more feedback eagerly.

Regards,

Bhaskar

Nice job.:clapping::clapping::clapping: How are u maintaining precise spindle to pivot distance? Awaiting more feedback eagerly.

Regards,

Bhaskar

I have downloaded Sevenson's protractor and stuck it on an old record and align any cartridge or arm. i don't refer to effective length of any arm but I get the alignment spot on

How are u maintaining precise spindle to pivot distance?

+1 to the question. And how heavy does the base have to be so as to be able to firmly stand up to daily playback abuse?

The tireless analog guy pushes the envelopes of the analog frontier ever further:) Great going.

+1 to the question. And how heavy does the base have to be so as to be able to firmly stand up to daily playback abuse?

The tireless analog guy pushes the envelopes of the analog frontier ever further:) Great going.

The heavier the arm pod , the better. Have to make sure the base is extremely stable. Mine needs reinforcement . Right now , it is a temporary arrangement. But if the base is broad, you may find it difficult to place the arm pod to get proper alignment. I faced that problem

A bit OT, but I have been endlessly fascinated by the lickably rich and lustrous finishes that Artisan Fidelity imparts to its rebuilds like this. Or this. I can understand the glossy finishes on the motor and plinth but how do they get "factory fresh" labels on the speed selector knobs, on-off switches, etc? Are such labels available new (even if they are not from their OEMs)? I have seen generic Garrard labels from an Australian ebay seller but not knob specific labels.

The heavier the arm pod , the better. Have to make sure the base is extremely stable. Mine needs reinforcement . Right now , it is a temporary arrangement. But if the base is broad, you may find it difficult to place the arm pod to get proper alignment. I faced that problem

Yes, the base can't be wide as it will interfere with the plinth and leave lesser room for pivot-spindle distance adjustments.

Does your design have easy means for VTA adjustment? That would make it great flexibility and definitely contribute to better sonics. Or may be I am spelling out a great longing that I sorely miss in my setup:lol:

There is VTA adjustment on the arm as well as on the Arm Pod. I prefer to have the arm almost parallel in most cases with a slight slope toward front end. Just enough for most stylus tip to have that 20 degrees angle. I don't know if I am doing the right thing. Correct me if I am wrong

prefer to have the arm almost parallel in most cases with a slight slope toward front end. Just enough for most stylus tip to have that 20 degrees angle.

Near, or level to record surface, or slight dip at headshell end, works quite well for most cartridges. I personally dig the slight dip "geometry". Right now my day to day cartridge is a standard Denon DL 103 and it isn't too finicky about VTA, unlike the Decca London Super Gold which demanded - among other things - correct VTA, unwarped records, and generally good records. I am saving the Super Gold for when I have much better MM phono stage than the ones I have now.

On a recent trip to Cairo, an Egyptian friend of mine (who owns a EMT 938) took me to visit a friend of his. He was using a Russian broadcast turntable with 2 arm pods. The arm pods were made of some used automobile part and embedded in concrete blocks. Now, that's some design.

Yes, I am planning to reinforce the bottom end of the Pod by adding some weight and placing it on marble top to reduce vibration. that's my plan for today

I am making a very heavy base for the Arm Pod weighing 5 Kgs. I have also placed the TT and on marble slab and even without the heavy base the bass has become tight and mid leaner and clearer. I am excitedly waiting for the heavy base which will make the arm pod more stable.

Meanwhile, for the sake of experimentation, I have asked my mason to replicate the concrete block which I saw in Cairo. We will be having this made over the weekend. Hope to have a bracket bolted to it which will hold a tone arm.

No. My workshop guy made a shaft on the base which fits tight in the Arm pod. I have made a new base which weighs 5 Kgs . I think that will take care of all the vibrations. I was in Trivandrum and just returned. I will be connecting the player with the heavy based arm pod tomorrow and post pics

I have beefed up the arm pod by adding a base weighing 5 kgs. It certainly is the way to go about for better sound reproduction. There is a definite improvement in clarity. It also sounds different on MDF and marble. On marble, the bass was tighter and on MDF , it sounded a little more warmer. I am posting some pics of the reinforced Arm Pod .

Last edited:
Meanwhile, for the sake of experimentation, I have asked my mason to replicate the concrete block which I saw in Cairo. We will be having this made over the weekend. Hope to have a bracket bolted to it which will hold a tone arm.

Have made 2 concrete blocks, photos coming over the weekend, thanks.

I am making a very heavy base for the Arm Pod weighing 5 Kgs. I have also placed the TT and on marble slab and even without the heavy base the bass has become tight and mid leaner and clearer. I am excitedly waiting for the heavy base which will make the arm pod more stable.

Your work is really inspiring, I have almost decided to buy a 301 or 401. Maybe by 2013 end, lets see how things go.

Hi,

I have almost decided to buy a 301 or 401. Maybe by 2013 end, lets see how things go.

Don't overlook the Thorens TD124 or Lenco TT's if you come across them in your search for the Garrards.

Regards
Rajiv

All the best Rueben. I firmly believe that a modified Garrard 301 or 401 or Thorens 124 or Lenco L 75 can match with the best of the very High end players of today. You can continue improving them in future also. That's the charm of these players.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back