Suggest A Voltage Stabilizer

"What servo brands are available in India?

~dich"

Plenty. A good manufacturer is Neel Controls - Neel Systems

A voltage stabilizer is the worst thing to use on an AV setup. If you don't have a very powerful amplifier, consider a CVT instead. That is better than a servo or a voltage stabilizer, and offers excellent protection against Surges and Spikes also.

Becuase it does not give a stable output. The ouput voltage is controlled by relays with different taps on the transformer and keeps varying with varying input voltage. The voltage correction time is also high. Further, it offers NO protection against Surges, Spikes, etc. and the relay switching can actually induce spikes and noise (if contacts are dirty).

A servo gives a constant output within the input range and the better ones have high/low voltage cut off. The correction time is in milliseconds but depends on how much correction is required. It however offers no surge and noise supression and needs to be coupled with a UIT or similar for this.

A CVT gives the most constant output with negligible correction time. It also offers surge and spike suppresion. Disadvantage is that it is noisy, large and expensive.

Ideally, there should not be any filter/transformer/regulator between the wall and equipment. However, given the quality and state of our power supply this is mostly not possible and some AC protection / filtering is required.

hi,coming back to voltage stabiliser, let me tell you my setup:

1. yamaha rx-V361 amp.
2. Onkyo 100 RMS tower speakers.
3. Pioneer DV-400V DVD player.
4. Boston PV 350 150 RMS subwoofer.
5. Monster PowerCenter? HT 800 with Clean Power? Stage 1 for power cleaning.

i'm using high quality AR optical and monster cables.

I've also treated the room with MDF board sheets and small rectangular bhoosa ply sheets.

I've connected my laptop to my amplifier to listen live radio on the internet.

I'm sending 2 links for monster power cleaner.

Monster PowerCenter? HT 800 with Clean Power? Stage 1 at the best price in India! Sumaria.in

Monster Cable -- Home Theater PowerCenter™ HT 800 with Clean Power™ Stage 1 v2.0

After understanding what this product can do..i thing every movie buff would like to get this one.

But availablity is definitely a problem.
Even in mumbai it's not available easily on lamington road.
Try with monster dealers.

I've also connected my set top box thru monster power cleaner.which gives me clean and clear signals.

I've researched everything for almost 1 month before finalizing my setup.

bye.
krish

Krish and others...

Pls do not waste your money on this product, instead spend a bit more and get a nice conditioner (with surge protection) built by Audire or anyone else who can do this for you. You will benefit from vivid colors on video and better audio reproduction.
We also carry this product (Monster) at our showroom since there are people who insist on buying only Monster products...its your money :p
If you do contact Audire, tell them I referred them and they will know what I am referring to

cheers
[email protected]

Odyssey / Krish.. The topic of this thread is "Suggest a Voltage Stabilizer".. I think he needs something to sort out high/low voltage problems. Neither the Monster Powercenter nor the Audire are going to do this.

I agree, this product is a PC and I only posted it in relation to the HT-800. This will not solve voltage problems...

for voltage problems, if one can afford it, try a double converted online UPS>

cheers

Relay based stabs are ruled out for reasons explained. Sevo Stab is a different animal. I have a KryKard 3 KVA Servo Stab that regulates voltage to +/- 1%, that is output voltage is always between 227 V to 233 V sharp, I think this is fair enough. Voltage correction rate is 20 V / Second which also a good rating. In normal state mains voltage don't fluctuate that rapidly. KryKard comes with Surge suprresion and both Under / Over voltage cut offs as well as over current (110% of rated) switch off and auto restart. All these features are standard.

One can order RFI-EMI protection module at an extra cost of Rs 800. That will take care of most EMI/RFI realted problems.

KryKard, Vertex , Argo etc are very good Servo Stabs and can be used with any HiFi system without any worries of degrading the quaility BUT care should be taken while selecting the rating of the Servo Stab. Sevo should be capable of delivering at least 2.5 to 3 times the fuse rating of your Integrated / Power amp!

During complex / Dynamic / Heavy Bass music sections Amp draws large current while steady state current is much lower. That's why most Amps are fitted with 'Slow Blow' type fuses. That is they can momentarly withstand over load (by a factor of 1.5 - 2 times) . So if your amp's fuse rating is 3.5 Amp then your Servo Stab must provide minimum 10 Amp , means it should be rated min 2.5 KVA - 3 KVA. (and not 1.5 KVA as the fuse rating might suggests).

For further protection you might want to add an Ulta Isolation Trasformer in the chain. So the wiring plan should be :

AC Mains (wall socket) -> Servo Stab -> Ultra Isolation Transformer -> Terminal Strip -> Audio equipments.

CVT is no good for HiFI, will write on this later.

If you really want to go first class then bring in some AC Regenerators like PS AUDIO but those are way expensive. Another (expensive) solution is to use a TRUE SINE WAVE (OFF LINE) UPS. First charge the Batteries then disconnect UPS from AC mains and then use it to power your HiFi gear , Remember Red Wine Audio ? (Charged batteries should last for 2-3 hours , fair enough for a typical listening session.)

Areas where Voltage fluctuations are not a big issues (Mumbai for example) , do not use anything (even Sevo) for Integrated / Power Amp, while provide protection for source component . Even a TURE SINE WAVE UPS can be considered here as Source component draws very little power.

Terminal strips available at your Computer shops are known to create problems with HIFI gear because of improper use of MOVs and RC networks. Avoide such ready made Terminal strips . Better ask your electrician to make one for you using some good quality (brass) sockets and switches, insist on good quality wires and cables , e.g. Finolex .

Check Earthing in your hosue wiring system. In most cases it is not done at all! Or it is connected to Water pipes! Call your electrician and get this aspect checked and corrected. If possible try to shift Refrigerators, TV, Fluroscent lamps, Air Conditioners, Fans with Electronic regulatiors etc on another circuit / phase.

Avoid using HiFI system during lightening . thunder storms (typical in mansoon) , disconnect the system from AC mains during such period.

For critical listening , best time is around mid night and onwards.

Hope this helps.

Becuase it does not give a stable output. The ouput voltage is controlled by relays with different taps on the transformer and keeps varying with varying input voltage. The voltage correction time is also high. Further, it offers NO protection against Surges, Spikes, etc. and the relay switching can actually induce spikes and noise (if contacts are dirty).

A servo gives a constant output within the input range and the better ones have high/low voltage cut off. The correction time is in milliseconds but depends on how much correction is required. It however offers no surge and noise supression and needs to be coupled with a UIT or similar for this.

A CVT gives the most constant output with negligible correction time. It also offers surge and spike suppresion. Disadvantage is that it is noisy, large and expensive.

Ideally, there should not be any filter/transformer/regulator between the wall and equipment. However, given the quality and state of our power supply this is mostly not possible and some AC protection / filtering is required.

"CVT is no good for HiFI, will write on this later."

Hi SuhasG,

I actually had a problem with a Pass Labs preamp that would mute it's output durings over/under voltage. I corresponded with Wayne Coburn (the designer of all Pass preamps) and this is what he wrote me in reply to my wanting to use a servo:

"In general however, linear power amps do not respond well to the current limiting that all voltage tracking supplies provide.

For the low level electronics you may want to consider a very old and very reliable technology for voltage stabilization. This would be a ferro-resonate transformer (CVT); capable of providing excellent regulation and up to 140dB of noise suppression. Most common US maker is Solen (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Ferro-Resonate)"

I have tried various options over the years and now finally use a Purepower APS.

You are best advised not to connect the equipment through a voltage regulator of any make, least of all a TV and a sub.They intrduce more problems and unknowns into the circuit and you are better off without them.TVs have SMPS and can withstand power fluctuations of reasonable magnitude.If you have anything more than what most utilities in India dish out, then check the wiring in yr place.

Hi Suhas,

Are these available in India ? Any dealer selling Purepower APS ? Will appreciate some inputs on dealer location and pricing ..thanks

AFAIK no body does this (or similar) brand, I heard about Moster making similar product and was on diaply at Mumbai some time back. Check with Cadence , Pune or Mahendra of Oceanic , Pune they might be of some help. Otherwise you can place an order directly to the manufacturer.

Dear All,
Please suggest a suitable voltage stabilizer for the following setup.
Onkyo HT-SR800 (670W)
Onkyo Powered Sub-Wooofer (140W)
I will be connecting tatasky stb, lg-dvd player and a worldspace apart from the onkyo stuff. I will not be connecting the tv as it has the feature built in and an additional one is not recommended by the manufacturer.
I had zeroed in on V-Guard DIGI 200 model but is not in stock in Bangalore.
Please suggest a model at the earliest.
Ram Mohan P

Hi,
Just browsing through, came across this post.
To calculate how much KVA you need you need to find out the total wattage rating of your devices, and multiply it with a factor of 0.8 (eg if total wattage is 1000W, you will need 0.8KVA)

I have a spare Argo Servo 1KVA stabilizer, which I have not been using for sometime now, since I bought a UPS.
I can sell this if anyone is interested. I live in Mumbai, so the person will have to come and pick it up.

Nitish,

I am seeing three similar posts from you in three different threads. First of all cross posting is not a good practice and it is always not allowed. Second you'r trying sell your Stabilizer thr' such posts which is also not a good sign, we have a separate web site for such For Sale Advt. Lastly there is some error in your calculations that I noticed and corrected in one such thread. Please make a note of it.

can anyone kindly throw some light on the UPS vs CVT (vs PowerPlant, of course) query pl.?

i close friend manufacturers one of the best UPSs in the country and he recommended a CVT over a UPS to me for audio/video.

best bet would be to ask him, but he is not much into audio.

Hi,
Just browsing through, came across this post.
To calculate how much KVA you need you need to find out the total wattage rating of your devices, and multiply it with a factor of 0.8 (eg if total wattage is 1000W, you will need 0.8KVA)

I have a spare Argo Servo 1KVA stabilizer, which I have not been using for sometime now, since I bought a UPS.
I can sell this if anyone is interested. I live in Mumbai, so the person will have to come and pick it up.

Wow! I came across this forum while searching for some power related info.

The calculation is the other way around. Watts=factor*VA
So, if the specified wattage is 1000W, then the required VA rating is 1000/factor. If power factor is assumed to be 0.8, the the VA rating is 1250VA.

As for using stabilizers, most forum suggest against it. Usage of approximated sine-wave UPS is preferred (APC brand UPS). This is what I am using. My setup is still ongoing since I have another variable. Most of my electronics is 110V. So I need to use a stepdown transformer as well. Here is how my setup looks.

Wall >> APC UPS >> Transformer >> Device

The UPS will protect against microsecond surges and provides some power backup (against sudden shutdown) in case of low/high voltages or power outage. Just my 2c.

Looks like my receiver will need a separate UPS setup. It drinks freaking 9.5A @110V. I will probably update once I have the setup going.

Thanks pal,

SuhasG corrected my calculation error that I had made, and it is now firmly registered in my brain. I am not a technical person and believed what some engineer had told me some 10 years ago.

Thanks once more for correcting me.

Wow! I came across this forum while searching for some power related info.

The calculation is the other way around. Watts=factor*VA
So, if the specified wattage is 1000W, then the required VA rating is 1000/factor. If power factor is assumed to be 0.8, the the VA rating is 1250VA.

As for using stabilizers, most forum suggest against it. Usage of approximated sine-wave UPS is preferred (APC brand UPS). This is what I am using. My setup is still ongoing since I have another variable. Most of my electronics is 110V. So I need to use a stepdown transformer as well. Here is how my setup looks.

Wall >> APC UPS >> Transformer >> Device

The UPS will protect against microsecond surges and provides some power backup (against sudden shutdown) in case of low/high voltages or power outage. Just my 2c.

Looks like my receiver will need a separate UPS setup. It drinks freaking 9.5A @110V. I will probably update once I have the setup going.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back