Suggest A Voltage Stabilizer

Relay based stabs are ruled out for reasons explained. Sevo Stab is a different animal. I have a KryKard 3 KVA Servo Stab that regulates voltage to +/- 1%, that is output voltage is always between 227 V to 233 V sharp, I think this is fair enough. Voltage correction rate is 20 V / Second which also a good rating. In normal state mains voltage don't fluctuate that rapidly. KryKard comes with Surge suprresion and both Under / Over voltage cut offs as well as over current (110% of rated) switch off and auto restart. All these features are standard.

One can order RFI-EMI protection module at an extra cost of Rs 800. That will take care of most EMI/RFI realted problems.

KryKard, Vertex , Argo etc are very good Servo Stabs and can be used with any HiFi system without any worries of degrading the quaility BUT care should be taken while selecting the rating of the Servo Stab. Sevo should be capable of delivering at least 2.5 to 3 times the fuse rating of your Integrated / Power amp!

During complex / Dynamic / Heavy Bass music sections Amp draws large current while steady state current is much lower. That's why most Amps are fitted with 'Slow Blow' type fuses. That is they can momentarly withstand over load (by a factor of 1.5 - 2 times) . So if your amp's fuse rating is 3.5 Amp then your Servo Stab must provide minimum 10 Amp , means it should be rated min 2.5 KVA - 3 KVA. (and not 1.5 KVA as the fuse rating might suggests).

For further protection you might want to add an Ulta Isolation Trasformer in the chain. So the wiring plan should be :

AC Mains (wall socket) -> Servo Stab -> Ultra Isolation Transformer -> Terminal Strip -> Audio equipments.

CVT is no good for HiFI, will write on this later.

If you really want to go first class then bring in some AC Regenerators like PS AUDIO but those are way expensive. Another (expensive) solution is to use a TRUE SINE WAVE (OFF LINE) UPS. First charge the Batteries then disconnect UPS from AC mains and then use it to power your HiFi gear , Remember Red Wine Audio ? (Charged batteries should last for 2-3 hours , fair enough for a typical listening session.)

Areas where Voltage fluctuations are not a big issues (Mumbai for example) , do not use anything (even Sevo) for Integrated / Power Amp, while provide protection for source component . Even a TURE SINE WAVE UPS can be considered here as Source component draws very little power.

Terminal strips available at your Computer shops are known to create problems with HIFI gear because of improper use of MOVs and RC networks. Avoide such ready made Terminal strips . Better ask your electrician to make one for you using some good quality (brass) sockets and switches, insist on good quality wires and cables , e.g. Finolex .

Check Earthing in your hosue wiring system. In most cases it is not done at all! Or it is connected to Water pipes! Call your electrician and get this aspect checked and corrected. If possible try to shift Refrigerators, TV, Fluroscent lamps, Air Conditioners, Fans with Electronic regulatiors etc on another circuit / phase.

Avoid using HiFI system during lightening . thunder storms (typical in mansoon) , disconnect the system from AC mains during such period.

For critical listening , best time is around mid night and onwards.

Hope this helps.

i have been interested in this subject since long,i am living in mumbai with a stable power supply and i am having tube integerated amp and cd player with a future purchase of LCD and home theatre ,i shall be moving to my under construnction home next year where i am planning direct line for my audio system from the main switch i would like to know from experienced people if power regenerator or ups is needed

i have been interested in this subject since long,i am living in mumbai with a stable power supply and i am having tube integerated amp and cd player with a future purchase of LCD and home theatre ,i shall be moving to my under construnction home next year where i am planning direct line for my audio system from the main switch i would like to know from experienced people if power regenerator or ups is needed

Yes. UPS would be most secure. Add a surge strip to that if the surge rating on the UPS is not sufficient. Make sure the UPS outputs pure sinewave or approximated sinewave when it goes on battery. I use it primarily to properly shutdown the electronics when there is a power outage (especially for the LCD backlight). The UPS also regulates power and does not trip like a stabilizer.
A line-interactive UPS goes on battery only when there is fluctuation beyond the regulation limits or during power failure. Your electronics will be seeing sinewave straight from the wall power at all other times.

Approximate sinewave will screw SQ correct? You want a pure sinewave certified UPS.

Regards

Most likely. But the thing is, a line-interactive UPS goes on battery only when there is a fault in the input (over/under voltage condition or power failure). Until that point it provides a regulated output from the wall supply. This is true sinewave. The switch over time for the APC UPS model I have is about 4ms.
An online UPS with pure sinewave output is going to be very expensive.

Most likely. But the thing is, a line-interactive UPS goes on battery only when there is a fault in the input (over/under voltage condition or power failure). Until that point it provides a regulated output from the wall supply. This is true sinewave. The switch over time for the APC UPS model I have is about 4ms.
An online UPS with pure sinewave output is going to be very expensive.
I guess the intent here is to the UPS for supplying regulated power while mains is on.
Once main power supply goes then UPS will prevent immediate shutdown and will give the user sometime to properly shutdown his system(s).
Does that make sense and is cost effective?

~dich

I guess the intent here is to the UPS for supplying regulated power while mains is on.
Once main power supply goes then UPS will prevent immediate shutdown and will give the user sometime to properly shutdown his system(s).
Does that make sense and is cost effective?

~dich

Yes, correct. Also, traditional stabilizers trip (and turn off) when the incoming voltage exceeds their regulation limits. With a UPS, it goes on battery. If you have LCD/Plasma TV's I suggest you use an UPS. There is also surge protection (lightning etc.) in UPS. Most stabilizers will let through micro second surges. This could fry a lot of stuff. But this could be filtered out by using a good external surge strip also.

Dear All,
Please suggest a suitable voltage stabilizer for the following setup.
Onkyo HT-SR800 (670W)
Onkyo Powered Sub-Wooofer (140W)
I will be connecting tatasky stb, lg-dvd player and a worldspace apart from the onkyo stuff. I will not be connecting the tv as it has the feature built in and an additional one is not recommended by the manufacturer.
I had zeroed in on V-Guard DIGI 200 model but is not in stock in Bangalore.
Please suggest a model at the earliest.
Ram Mohan P

I just bought the V-Guard Crystal Plus for my 42" LCD TV + Tata-sky + DVD.
I also connect my 800 watts iron for ironing my clothes.
I also have a Yamaha amplifier that consumes max 480 watts. I plan to connect that to a separate V-Guard stabilizer. I've 2-3 round model stabs from V-Guard. Those model have the delay circuitry in them. Which is annoying at times.

I Crystal plus is Rs.2500 (final price with discount). The Digi200 is Rs.4700 (final price with discount). I bought mine from JD Electrical in Bangalore.

In my honest opinion (based on many years of personal experience) you don't really need a big stab. Just go with Crystal Plus. It will help you run all your stuff at a good price. If you are really hell bent on buying a big stab, go for 2 Crystal Plus. Will cost you Rs.5000. Connect TV to one and your music system to the other. You'll have ample capacity left over.

Good luck.

folks, recently my dac(audiosector ) stopped working and i thought the power supply was gone. After a few trials, it worked with a v-guard stabilizer(110-285v range). Apparently, the problem is due to voltage fluctuation. Peter Daniel recommends voltage range of 230v +/-25v. Pl recommend a suitable voltage stabilizer in the budget range.

Hi Ram,

I got my Onkyo 609 AV receiver recently which has a power rating of 640W I will add a DVDplayer, LCD/Plasma 40"TV, STB & sub woofer. based on your post I have zeroed in Vguard crystal plus model which has a 6A/1200W rating. let me know if its enough for me (I'm in bangalore) to safeguard my AV setup from any possible electrical damage?

Dear All,
Thanks to all who have advised me and for their suggestions.
I have managed to locate the availability. Its also available at Modern World apart from Sonovision. I have chosen Modern World as its closer to my wife's workplace.
Its a 6 amp rated stabilzer. i.e, its a 220*6 = 1320W model. I am not very sure of the power factor to be applied (for the type of equipment-Home theatre, Sub woofer, Tatasky STB, and DVD player). upon considering a power factor of 0.75, the VA rating of the model comes to 990VA (1 KVA). The AVR and Sub Woofer are rated at 670 and 140 respectively. This adds to 810W. Add another 10 + 10W for STB and the DVD player. This comes to 830W. This is less that 1320W. From this basic calculation, it looks like 1kva model is sufficient. In fact the people at Modern World even suggested that I can go for a 3 amp model. I did not want to take a chance and would be settling for the 6amp model.
I hope that I am correct with the calculations. Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.
Regards

Hi,

Ideal stabilizer for you should a 1.5 or 2 kva one ! if budget permits try to go for servo ( though not good one's available) I think Anil knows some places where you can get a decent servo stabilizer.

I don't know the spec of this digi200,but recon since it says 200 its a 2kva ( Am sure it cannot be 200Va) and should be good enough !!

Just give it thought and decide !!

Regards.

You are wrong! It can take a load of 6 A, which is 1380Watts ( 1.3 KVA). :D:D:D:D

You are at a great risk of burning the VG crystal stabilizer as it is rated at a mere 2 Amps which is around 460 watts of load it can take! the Digi200 is the best one with a rating of 6 Amps and can take load of 1380 Watts / 1.3 KvA.

Something to think about!!??

I just bought the V-Guard Crystal Plus for my 42" LCD TV + Tata-sky + DVD.
I also connect my 800 watts iron for ironing my clothes.
I also have a Yamaha amplifier that consumes max 480 watts. I plan to connect that to a separate V-Guard stabilizer. I've 2-3 round model stabs from V-Guard. Those model have the delay circuitry in them. Which is annoying at times.

I Crystal plus is Rs.2500 (final price with discount). The Digi200 is Rs.4700 (final price with discount). I bought mine from JD Electrical in Bangalore.

In my honest opinion (based on many years of personal experience) you don't really need a big stab. Just go with Crystal Plus. It will help you run all your stuff at a good price. If you are really hell bent on buying a big stab, go for 2 Crystal Plus. Will cost you Rs.5000. Connect TV to one and your music system to the other. You'll have ample capacity left over.

Good luck.

You are at a great risk of burning the VG crystal stabilizer as it is rated at a mere 2 Amps which is around 460 watts of load it can take! the Digi200 is the best one with a rating of 6 Amps and can take load of 1380 Watts / 1.3 KvA.

Something to think about!!??:clapping::cool::rolleyes:

Yes as suggested Digi 200 is the best bet here. As the total load it can take is much greater than your consumption. Another thing about this is that it has an inbuilt fan which operates if the unit gets hot and shuts off itself if it crosses the max load, thus protecting the A/V devices connected to it.

I have presently connected my Denon AVR + Polk Audio DSW PRO 550wi sub. Total power consumption is about 670+160=830 watts. Yet I'm left with 550watts and will have to buy a belkin multi socket and then connect my STB, Blu-ray player and my TV, which will provide a complete protection for all my devices.

Yes as suggested Digi 200 is the best bet here. As the total load it can take is much greater than your consumption. Another thing about this is that it has an inbuilt fan which operates if the unit gets hot and shuts off itself if it crosses the max load, thus protecting the A/V devices connected to it.

I have presently connected my Denon AVR + Polk Audio DSW PRO 550wi sub. Total power consumption is about 670+160=830 watts. Yet I'm left with 550watts and will have to buy a belkin multi socket and then connect my STB, Blu-ray player and my TV, which will provide a complete protection for all my devices.

how about and isolation transformer to cleansen the AC power as well?? :eek:hyeah:
I use this --> Miracle | Medical Isolation Transformers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back