Suggest some VFM entry level AVRs

saurabh81

I have to set up my HT within a budget of 40K:

Speaker Set: Almost decided on jamo s 406 hcs 1 5 speaker set. total 540 W
S 406 HCS 1 Home Cinema Systems - Description

Sub: Jamo Sub 200. Active sub 200 W.
SUB 200 Subwoofer - Description

Speaker + Sub package costing 26K @ Excite Bangalore.

AVR: Have to decide.

I can spend around 15K for the AVR hence I know all I can get is an entry level AVR. My requirement is 50%movie and 50% music. I am not keen towards any Brand nor for Imported or local manufactured. All I need is good sound.

Please suggest some good VFM entry level AVRs.

Last edited:
you can think of entry level Marantz sr301, yamaha 363 or similar lineup from others in 14 to 15K range. All of them will be 5.1 with basic DD, DTS and DPLII which are enough for normal movie watching and music, unless ur inclined for an update to 7.1 in future. Marantz carries 3 yrs warrenty and rules in this entry segment due to after sales service on its model.

if you want a avr coupling as a decent stereo amp as well go for the marantz sr301 followed by yamaha 363/463. These are all round solutions provided you have a 5.1 setup in mind.

BTW what speakers you will use will also help in suggesting one for you. Please specify

you can think of entry level Marantz sr301, yamaha 363 or similar lineup from others in 14 to 15K range.
Are these prices with B&W?

Sumaria.in quotes the 363 at Rs. 23,599
If I recall correctly the SR301 sells for a similar price at eZone.

The Sonodyne AVR, Sherwood AVR, Harman Kardon AVR-133 should all be in the 15-20K range with B&W.

sr301 was 15k for me a yr back with 3yrs warrenty. hope it has not gone up much due to dollar value. For music certainly Marantz rules over all the other brands in this segment and its not bad either for movies.

you can think of entry level Marantz sr301, yamaha 363 or similar lineup from others in 14 to 15K range. All of them will be 5.1 with basic DD, DTS and DPLII which are enough for normal movie watching and music, unless ur inclined for an update to 7.1 in future. Marantz carries 3 yrs warrenty and rules in this entry segment due to after sales service on its model.

Wats the cost of Marantz SR301 ? any idea were i could audition it in bangalore ?

I have checked the following:

Reliance Digital:
Denon 1509: 21K Liked the most but beyond my budget
Harman Kardon (dont know the model no but it was entry level): ~17K but I did not audition it

Excite:
Yamaha 363: 17.3K did not auditioned it
Yamaha 463: 19.5K did not auditioned it

Sherwood 6502: 14K I auditioned this with Jamo and found it sufficient and its in my budget too. But as I am a novice in this area I would like u gurus to give ur inputs...

Apart from the Sherwood i can stretch my budget to buy Yamaha 363 or Harman Kardon AVR 155 (but it has 50X5 watt rating while the speakers are around 100X5 watts) if its worth the extra buck.

Any idea about current price of Marantz SR 301???

Also i have checked ezone, but prices are nothing to write about.
Which other stores in Bangalore offers good price (one is Excite)...

Thanks for the suggestion,

Does that means Harman Kardon AVR 155 is best among Sherwood 6502/ Yamaha 363/ Harman Kardon AVR 155???

3 yrs warantee sounds great... But where is Marantz service center in India, I checked there website and it says there no service center in India :confused:

3 yrs warantee sounds great... But where is Marantz service center in India, I checked there website and it says there no service center in India :confused:
I think you'll get service when you buy from an authorised retailer or showroom. In Delhi, there is one at Khan market. Mumbai also has one or two, who stock Marantz equipment. I don't know where these guys send the equipment to get repaired...probably some local place but you should ask and make sure warranty is honoured and the replacement parts are of Marantz standard.

Marantz SR301

The most VFM avr. Forum member Dinyar ji sourced one for me in Mumbai for about Rs. 12K. Its a basic 5.1 amp with most of the applicable bells n whistles present. And it really excels in music playback. Better than the mid level Yamaha's I checked out.

I am very happy with it and dont plan to upgrade any time soon.

I think it was bought from a market called Heera Panna or something like that.
Even i would love to buy a SR301. At cenebels bangalore they are quoting 27K :sad:. I wonder why its soooo expensive in blore.
Experts please help me as to were in blore i could get a good deal on the same !!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back