Suggestion on projector screens

guru_sa

Hi,

I plan to have fixed screen for my home theater. screen width is 84 inches and height is nearly 49.5 inches (excluding frame boarder). I have been suggested with Vuemax psga90 (price 21 to 23K Rs ) and grandview screen (around 30K Rs) for this. Which one I should go for? Any other recommendations? I would like to keep screen cost under 25-30 K Rs.

additional details:
I plan to buy Epson EHTW 8100 projector.

Thanks in advance for all the guidance and suggestions.

Regards,
Guru

Last edited:
Tnx for the suggestions. Da lite fixed screens are coming around 40-50 k in ebay. Any one has tried special paints available for projector screen? Goo screen or paint on screen etc? How good are they?

for cheap fixed screen..what people do..they buy a da lite B model at 15k...
and cut the material and stick it upon plywood frame..or solid plywood..and hang the total set up on wall
cheap diy solution...
anyway thats my idea..

goo paint is also a cheap solution..
paint on screen can be done very easily..
buy the cheapest screen at 1k from e bay..
cut it
stick it upon plywood..
take proffessional carpentar help for fine finish..
paint it..asian paint matte white..or light gray if you like it..as yours 8100..gray or 0.9 gain will be fine..here also take pro help

Hi,

I plan to try paint option sugegsted in
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

Will let you all know how it goes.

regards,
Guru

Last edited:
Let us know how this goes. Pls note down all the steps and the color code of the paint you will use. I have a 120" pull down screen. The pic quality is great and i haven't experienced any ripples etc but it is a hassle to pull it down each time. This might sound fussy to some but really it seems like a chore each time. This is especially true if i'm just in the mood for some selected scenes only and not the whole movie - which is the case a lot of times. I might just try the paint thing if yours works well.

Hi,

I am using Mits HC4000 in my home theatre along with painted walls. I have painted my HT room walls with Asian paints royal, shade name Pilgrim (code 6129). Though originally I had planned to put a DIY fixed white screen I found this itself good and now I'm enjoying it.
This is a medium grey shade and helps in producing a very high contrast picture. I can make the room totally dark, hence the brightness doesn't seem to be an issue at 132" screen size, which I am using. I even suspect that the royal paint has some gain as it has a slight lustre, but I am not sure. I actually feel one can use slightly lesser grey shades in royal family (armour-N - 0686 or Ice grey - 8259). I'll definitely try this when I repaint the wall.
If anyone tries this please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Ravi.

Hi,

I am using Mits HC4000 in my home theatre along with painted walls. I have painted my HT room walls with Asian paints royal, shade name Pilgrim (code 6129). Though originally I had planned to put a DIY fixed white screen I found this itself good and now I'm enjoying it.
This is a medium grey shade and helps in producing a very high contrast picture. I can make the room totally dark, hence the brightness doesn't seem to be an issue at 132" screen size, which I am using. I even suspect that the royal paint has some gain as it has a slight lustre, but I am not sure. I actually feel one can use slightly lesser grey shades in royal family (armour-N - 0686 or Ice grey - 8259). I'll definitely try this when I repaint the wall.
If anyone tries this please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Ravi.
Thank you Ravi. I will surely try this soon. My walls are all AP Royale but the screen wall is a dark color. A paint dealer is a personal friend of mine and i'll try the code you gave plus few others. Thank you. The link that Guru put out seems to suggest that enamel based paints are better - will see what i find on that.

I am not in particular favour of wall-painting for the projection screen, unless it is a very dedicated room. The screen must have a masking black border to blank out the light dispersion. This kind of wall-painted screen is not suitable in the living room or bed room. In such rooms, a manual pull-down or an electric retracting screen is preferable.

Thank you Ravi. I will surely try this soon. My walls are all AP Royale but the screen wall is a dark color. A paint dealer is a personal friend of mine and i'll try the code you gave plus few others. Thank you. The link that Guru put out seems to suggest that enamel based paints are better - will see what i find on that.

Had I known that I will use painted wall for projection, I would have got it painted a lesser shade of grey. There is even a roller mark on the projection area which become visible in scenes with uniform colour, but it is not a big hindrance. So I'll live with it for the time being. I had actually imported screen cloth and border, but they are sitting in the cupboard!
The good thing about painting the wall is that you can project as big as you want/can and it becomes a stealth screen too. One who sees my HT for the first time does not realize that wall itself is the projection screen and end up asking "where is the screen". Originally I had planned for 120" fixed screen, but now I am enjoying a 132" screen. I had even considered a dedicated screen paint like DIY theatre or Goo, but I wanted to cover the entire wall, not just the projection area. Covering a 150 sft wall with dedicated paint was a tad expensive for me.
I feel using an enamel paint may be a bit risky as it may cause hot spots.

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I decided go with screen from Zoher company from Mumbai. Purchased their sliver3d screen fabric (9K). Got a local aluminum frame manufacturer to make simple frame (1.1K) and another 700 Rs for transportation etc. Screen looks great. I will upload photos of same. If you ask me things I wanted to do bit differently. Instead of using ropes in the back, drill few holes back of aluminum frame and tighten screen with screws. Put some soft padding on the corners of frame to avoid damage to fabric. If you can cover entire frame with soft padding even better. As of now I don't know how long corner wont tear due to stretch stress.

Attachments

• theaterwallBeforeScreen.jpg
    theaterwallBeforeScreen.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ScreenBack.jpg
    ScreenBack.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 76
  • screen_front.jpg
    screen_front.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 76
  • BeforeLightImage1.jpg
    BeforeLightImage1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 76
  • beforeDarkImage2.jpg
    beforeDarkImage2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 74
Photos with screen

Attachments

• TheaterWallWithScreen.jpg
    TheaterWallWithScreen.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ScreenCorner.jpg
    ScreenCorner.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 73
  • AfterLightImage1.jpg
    AfterLightImage1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 74
  • AfterDarkImage3.jpg
    AfterDarkImage3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 74
  • AfterDarkImage1.jpg
    AfterDarkImage1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 74
I just got BenQ 1070 yesterday and looking for the screen.
Has any one used Liberty or Grandview fixed frame.
Liberty around 30K+ and Grandview around 60K.

Any information on dealers around Delhi/Gurgaon for Fixed Frame will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, pls read my post on 19th July. U can contact zoher company or similar folks in your area for screen material. Get local aluminum Fabricator make as per ur wall need. I have attached images of screen setting in my 19th jul post.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back