Suggestions/ideas for my speaker build

magma

hello all

i am all set to build a new set of speaker stands
i would be glad if you guys can help me brainstorming for a design

Requirments
Stand height20- 21inches with spikes

Stand weight ( accounting for sand if we go for sand filled) - Minimum 25kgs/stand

Stand should be Highly stable with low CG so its difficult to topple even with a nudge on the top

The following are a list of things i thought of starting off with( please feel free to correct)
0.75 inch dia and 1.0inch long SS spikes-tempered
1 inche thick 11*14 MS base plates - spikes at a distance of 9*11
NO wood to be used
6*8 inch 4 mm thick top plate ( maybe an acrylic sandwich like sangrams)

im not sure what to do about a column :sad:
this is where im most confused

do i use 1 large central column or a set of 2 or 3 or 4
how will it look / turn out etc etc
sizes etc

@magma,why build another one?thought u already had a pair of stands made,very beautifully done too!!cheers

Rallynut,
He s got the earlier pair he built for sale in our classifieds. I think Magma wants to build new ones which are short enough for his new way of listening to music,i.e sitting on the floor,iirc.

Magma,
Sorry I dont have any expertise in this to make a meaningful contribution, but I will be watching the thread. Btw, the title is speaker build not speaker stand build. Which speakers are you going to mount on these stands?

@iaudio,thanks for the heads up titus,didnt know magma has his stands up for sale.must have missed that.even so,a beautiful pair of stands they are!!lucky is the one who buys them.ur amp purchase :eek:hyeah:??cheers

@magma,all the best with the brainstorming for a new pair.why not the same prototype with dimensions adjusted?id be hard pressed to come up with a better design than ur 'original' :eek:!!!yes,which speakers are the new ones for?cheers

Last edited:
Magma, MIA? Already busy with the stands eh?

Rallynut, Are you back in Kerala boss? My amp purchase, is probably gonna be the Topping Tp20! As far as I can understand from Psychotropics gushing over it, it seems to be manna that God has sent to music lovers whose hands are tied by lack of RBI issue paper! I had been looking at some used stereo int amps like Arcam alpha 5, Marantz Pm40 etc. But I think I will go this route and find out! After all our Missions are pretty sensitive?
Sorry for all the OT.
P.s Trying to spread the net for a used Marantz Cdp.

rallynut,i audio
you guys are right i need shorter stands also
new stands are reqd to be 25kgs each !

Yes i could very easily use the same design, but i have access to good metal working capabilities. i want to fully utilize them.
i was thinking of going all the way making a 4 pillared stand with profile cut ( water jet or wire cut) bottom plates etc

@MODS
please add the word "Speaker Stand BUild" instead of Speaker build to the Title of this thread
it seems i have made a mistake

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back