Suggestions to buy a Blu Ray Player

lvrajesh

Hello Friends,

I entered the market with the basic intention of finding a DVD player to play DivX files from USB with 5.1 DTS output capability. But after hours of research on various models & going thru multiple thread of this site, I'm totally confused and now thinking of getting a Blu Ray player which can support all formats.

Before going any further, I will summarize about the exiting AV equipment, I possess and my preferences here.

Sony KV-DRC TV:
2004 model
No HD capablity,
Progressive Scan/DRC1250 picture processing
Tru Surround

No plans as of now to upgrade sionce am satisfied with its PQ and Surround sound.

Sony RV999D-Hifi Music System:
2004 model
DVD/CD processing - often have problems reading slightly scratched DVDs
5.1 channel DTS
Dolby Digital
Note:Speaker wires are not of the moulded type. They are +ve/-ve seperate.

Wish-List in decreasing order of preference:
1) Picture Quality
2) Sound Quality (whether can I use the exiting speakers with the player)
3) All format support

Suggestion on the below features:
a)Net TV, BD Live etc:
Do let me know whether they will be really worthy for spending extra on it. If yes which is better Built-in Wifi or Wifi Ready with dongle.
b)3D capablity
c)Cracks for making it region free.
d) Buying in India or from US

Budget: 4-10K. If the extra features are worth considering may increase.

Also like to know whether to buy the BD player as a one-time investment or get a player with the requisite capabilities now and upgrade later considering the quick depreciation of electronic goods.

Do suggest suitable models with the approximate prices.

Regards

Forget blu-ray player and buy a hd media player which will play all types of movie and audio formats. These are available at very low cost than a blu-ray player. As an entry level player, Asus oplay mini is recommended.

eBay: hd media player

How are you going to connect the player to your sony ht? Does it accept spdif input?

Sorry Rajesh for hijacking your thread. Just a small query to baijuxavior and others. If a TV supports most of the formats is it still required to buy a Media Player?

If a TV supports most of the formats is it still required to buy a Media Player?

It depends on how you watch your movies. If you want a simple plug n play system then the TV is enough. But if you want to store and archive your collection, then hd player or HTPC is recommended. Most TVs support DTS and Dolby Digital only while a media player can play HD audio too.

Hey!!

If you are still looking for a Blu ray player..

A friend of mine got the LG Networked Bluray player - BD-550 free with a tv..

She's willing to sell it for around 5.5K ..

If you're interested let me know and will PM you the details ..

Cheers!

Forget blu-ray player and buy a hd media player which will play all types of movie and audio formats. These are available at very low cost than a blu-ray player. As an entry level player, Asus oplay mini is recommended.

eBay: hd media player

How are you going to connect the player to your sony ht? Does it accept spdif input?

Thanks baijuxavior for the useful info. Had a look at the Asus media player and some cnet review on the media players.

So if we are not into DVDs we can go for media players right. As I understand it will support almost all formats and can stream from internet but I gather the Asus mini doesn't support DTS 5.1 is it.
Further like to know, what will be the other models you would recommend at varied price points below say 7-8K.

That's what I'm not sure off too. The sony ht speakers have wires which are separated for +ve/-ve (not sure of the technical term for it). So suggestions on whether/how can we kook-up the 5.1 speakers with the media player/Blu Ray player are welcome.

Last edited:
Sorry Rajesh for hijacking your thread. Just a small query to baijuxavior and others. If a TV supports most of the formats is it still required to buy a Media Player?

Never mind... All info will be relevant to someone or other at some point of time

Hey!!

If you are still looking for a Blu ray player..

A friend of mine got the LG Networked Bluray player - BD-550 free with a tv..

She's willing to sell it for around 5.5K ..

If you're interested let me know and will PM you the details ..

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Surely I will keep it as a option if I decide on going for Blu Ray player.

Thanks baijuxavior for the useful info. Had a look at the Asus media player and some cnet review on the media players.

So if we are not into DVDs we can go for media players right. As I understand it will support almost all formats and can stream from internet but I gather the Asus mini doesn't support DTS 5.1 is it.
Further like to know, what will be the other models you would recommend at varied price points below say 7-8K.

That's what I'm not sure off too. The sony ht speakers have wires which are separated for +ve/-ve (not sure of the technical term for it). So suggestions on whether/how can we kook-up the 5.1 speakers with the media player/Blu Ray player are welcome.

All media players including Asus mini support DTS. It is DTS HDMA that asus mini is not supporting. This is an HD audio format and you will need an AV receiver to decode. Most of the rip files you download contain ac3 or aac audio. So HD audio is not that important.

Within 7-8K, there are many models that support HD audio, internal HDD slot etc. Look for model like WD, Himedia, Egreat, Kaiboer etc. Himedia players are a favourite in HFV.

You should check whether your HT has optical or coaxial input to get 5.1, because these players have only stereo L and R analog out and no 5.1 analog outs as in those Chinese DVD players. Even many Blu-ray players don't have 5.1 analog out. If your HT has only stereo input, then you won't get true surround sound. Post an image of your HT's front and back.

Dear all, I bought a used LG 550 from a member of this esteemed forum, I opted for used one as had a bad experience with Measy X7 HD player with 1Gh cortex processor(I paid 8k and used for 2 hours),LG 550 performs better than media player, I suggest you LG 550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should check whether your HT has optical or coaxial input to get 5.1, because these players have only stereo L and R analog out and no 5.1 analog outs as in those Chinese DVD players. Even many Blu-ray players don't have 5.1 analog out. If your HT has only stereo input, then you won't get true surround sound. Post an image of your HT's front and back.

Please find the photos attached for TV front & rear and HT front & rear.

Appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

Attachments

• HT Front Panel.jpg
    HT Front Panel.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 144
  • HT Rear Panel.jpg
    HT Rear Panel.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 147
  • TV Front Panel.jpg
    TV Front Panel.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 145
  • TV Rear Panel.jpg
    TV Rear Panel.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 147
Seems like your HT has no optical or coaxial connection. So your options are limited to the stereo line inputs. This won't give true 5.1.

Seems like your HT has no optical or coaxial connection. So your options are limited to the stereo line inputs. This won't give true 5.1.

Thanks for your reply. So if I need true 5.1, the only way out is to have a new HT system right or are there any workaround possible with the existing system.
If there is no workaround possible do suggest some decent budget HT system with 5.1/7.1 surround.

Further, it would be great if you could let me know the significant pros and cons of media player against BluRay player. It would help me in making a decision.

Thanks for your time and effort in this regard.

I suggest Onkyo 3400 which is a 5.1 HT with an AVR featuring 4 HDMI inputs and a few other digital and analog inputs. There are many threads on the same and there is no need to repeat on it's features. The price is around 25K.

I have used both media player and blu-ray player. I prefer media player to play downloaded movies. While blu-ray players and latest HDTVs also support a wide range of movie formats, I feel a media player or htpc to be the best for media playback. My blu-ray player is now resting as I watch only downloaded movies and buying BR disks is not affordable.

Hello Friends,

I entered the market with the basic intention of finding a DVD player to play DivX files from USB with 5.1 DTS output capability. But after hours of research on various models & going thru multiple thread of this site, I'm totally confused and now thinking of getting a Blu Ray player which can support all formats.

Before going any further, I will summarize about the exiting AV equipment, I possess and my preferences here.

Sony KV-DRC TV:
2004 model
No HD capablity,
Progressive Scan/DRC1250 picture processing
Tru Surround

No plans as of now to upgrade sionce am satisfied with its PQ and Surround sound.

Sony RV999D-Hifi Music System:
2004 model
DVD/CD processing - often have problems reading slightly scratched DVDs
5.1 channel DTS
Dolby Digital
Note:Speaker wires are not of the moulded type. They are +ve/-ve seperate.

Wish-List in decreasing order of preference:
1) Picture Quality
2) Sound Quality (whether can I use the exiting speakers with the player)
3) All format support

Suggestion on the below features:
a)Net TV, BD Live etc:
Do let me know whether they will be really worthy for spending extra on it. If yes which is better Built-in Wifi or Wifi Ready with dongle.
b)3D capablity
c)Cracks for making it region free.
d) Buying in India or from US

Budget: 4-10K. If the extra features are worth considering may increase.

Also like to know whether to buy the BD player as a one-time investment or get a player with the requisite capabilities now and upgrade later considering the quick depreciation of electronic goods.

Do suggest suitable models with the approximate prices.

Regards

Hi,

If you are still looking for DVD Player with divx support then refer this thread which is on sale http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/25481-re-pioneer-dvd-player.html

I suggest Onkyo 3400 which is a 5.1 HT with an AVR featuring 4 HDMI inputs and a few other digital and analog inputs. There are many threads on the same and there is no need to repeat on it's features. The price is around 25K.

I have used both media player and blu-ray player. I prefer media player to play downloaded movies. While blu-ray players and latest HDTVs also support a wide range of movie formats, I feel a media player or htpc to be the best for media playback. My blu-ray player is now resting as I watch only downloaded movies and buying BR disks is not affordable.

Is there no blu ray rentals in ur city?

I am not from proper Cochin and in my area there are no blu-ray rental shops. Even many DVD shops have shutdown as people are no more interested in renting. Either they buy DVDs or go the download route. If there are any takers, I may even consider selling the BR player and a few disks.

I have a couple more queries:

1) Is there any media player which can play DVD/BDs. If yes please suggest the best ones. Thought I dont have a big collection, I still prefer it if there's a reasonable option.

2) Can you please throw some light on whether/how I will be able to connect the media player(say Asus Oplay) with my existing TV.(At present, I have connected the component cables to DTH STB right now - video Y,Pb,Pr and the audio Left,right)

3) If I'm opting for Himedia player, whats the way to source it in Chennai.

Thanks!

1. There are some media players that has a bd rom like the kaiboer 750Li. But these are very expensive. Most of the media players allow you to connect an external dvd writer to play dvds.

If you buy a blu-ray player then ensure that it supports NTFS partition and formats like mkv, mp4 and divx.

2. You will need to use the component or composite out to connect the player to tv. Make sure that the model you are buying has component/composite out. I would suggest you to upgrade your TV also. Everything is now based on HDMI.

3. Himedia players can be bought from detna.com

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back